11-10-06, 08:51 AM   #1
Strife[CUK]
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
spell casting delay in BC

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this topic but being on a EU server I can't think of a better one.

Before having access to BC, I was expecting casting using my healing addon to be instant, in the same way it is on 1.12.
Reason for this is because of not needing to deal with the clicks, match the spell with the modifier+click, is it in range, enough mana.. target and cast. Instead using the securetemplates, setting attributes and the jobs done!

Initially when setting the frames/buttons to use securetemplates and setting appropriate attributes at times I noticed a considerable delay between the click and the cast.

Then going on to update the events and using UNIT_SPELLCAST_SENT and UNIT_SPELLCAST_START, I have noticed the delay is between these events.
So the click to cast is instant but actually starting the cast there is a noticeable delay.

I was hoping someone here could possibly pass this feedback to the right people in Blizzard, maybe this is something they would like to know.
Regards
Strife.
11-12-06, 07:32 PM   #2
JIM the Inventor
A Cyclonian

Doesn't that make sense though?

SENT is an event that your computer passes to itself: That will make it near instantaneous.

START only happens after your computer says, "Hey, Blizzard Server! I want to cast this spell!" and the Blizzard Server replies, "Oh yeah, you can do that. Not only can you do it, but now, you are doing it."

Put another way, the delay you have observed is natural to internet communication. It is pretty much required because SENT ~= START. Your spell and its targets, your character state and position, all have to be verified.
11-14-06, 07:22 AM   #3
Strife[CUK]
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by JIM the Inventor
Put another way, the delay you have observed is natural to internet communication. It is pretty much required because SENT ~= START. Your spell and its targets, your character state and position, all have to be verified.
Latency could be the cause consider on live servers I have under 100ms but on the beta I have ~350ms.

But still for whatever reason the actual starting to cast in BC on the beta server is slower than on live servers and on live servers I am parsing more code before SENT and in between SENT and START.
11-14-06, 08:29 AM   #4
JoshBorke
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...435001&sid=1#0

is what Jim said too :-)
11-14-06, 10:43 AM   #5
Strife[CUK]
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yep and I would like to clarify I understand there is no SENT in 1.12, my reference of SENT is basically calling CastSpellByName.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » spell casting delay in BC