06-08-08, 08:15 AM   #1
ZikO
An Aku'mai Servant
Frame -> Frames -> Frame

Hi.

Im new here and with idea of doing AddOns.
I have a few queastions about XML file.
1) Why I can see XML tags <Frame></Frame>, <Frames></Frames> and again <Frame></Frames> inside <Frames> ? :

Code:
<Frame>
    Anchors
    Size
    <Frames>
        <Frame>
            Anchors
            Size
            <Layer>
            </Layer>
        </Frame>
    </Frames>
</Frame>
2) What is <Layer></Layer> for and do I have to use this tag to simply show text/graphic? Do i need to keep <Layer> outside the second frame?

3) I was on WoWWiki website and honestly some elements and Attributes have only information that such attrubutes and elements exist but links are dead and i don't know which particular attribute use e.g.

Frame
has attribute parent and i know only after reading XML tutorial from WoW Forum that i need to set it to UIParent but there are more such dead links. Is there any other place i could get infor about them?
Frame

Thanks
06-15-08, 10:23 AM   #2
ZikO
An Aku'mai Servant
This forum is dead :/
06-15-08, 11:46 AM   #3
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Those frames are child of the first one. Read this to understand it better: http://www.wowwiki.com/XML_User_Interface#The_Basics
06-17-08, 03:29 PM   #4
ZikO
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
Those frames are child of the first one. Read this to understand it better: http://www.wowwiki.com/XML_User_Interface#The_Basics
Thanks for this website. I know it and i am after the lecture but it still does not answer my quastion that's why im here.
11-25-08, 09:57 AM   #5
Zaman
A Defias Bandit
The reason for the nested frame/frames is that this makes it possible to have frames within frames.

The first frame is the outer most container - the basic window. But a window is no fun when it's empty so you can populate it with a list of items (a list of frames). Frame is the basic class for most UI items like buttons or editboxes - they are all different kind of frames.
So the Frames tag indicates that the list of items that follows should be contained within the outer frame.
That list can then contain its own list of frames which can contain... oh well, I guess you get the point.
11-25-08, 10:55 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Forum necromancy FTL! Did you see the data on the last post?
11-25-08, 03:24 PM   #7
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Forum necromancy FTL! Did you see the data on the last post?
He actually answered a questioned I was curious of myself. I'm glad to have seen this at any rate, it wasn't in the xml basics wiki link.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Frame -> Frames -> Frame