09-05-12, 11:36 PM   #1
Lunchbox.Charlie
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A plea to carbonite addon authors.

Please, please... release the license or lax it up for us to work on it as a community. We can't make money off of it and you wouldn't then have to worry about it anymore...

09-05-12, 11:46 PM   #2
flesyMeM
A Murloc Raider
Personally, I think it would be better if the people in the community who are now trying to work on Carbonite would get together and produce a new mod with map functionality similar to Carbonite's. That's the only feature of Carbonite worth pursuing really...every other thing that it does, there are other mods that do it equally or better. Carbonite's map setup is awesome, but just about all the rest is unnecessary bloat.

09-06-12, 01:57 AM   #3
eiszeit
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by flesyMeM View Post
Personally, I think it would be better if the people in the community who are now trying to work on Carbonite would get together and produce a new mod with map functionality similar to Carbonite's. That's the only feature of Carbonite worth pursuing really...every other thing that it does, there are other mods that do it equally or better. Carbonite's map setup is awesome, but just about all the rest is unnecessary bloat.
This.

/10char

09-06-12, 02:20 AM   #4
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you really want that make a list.

Define what exactly the desired map should be capable of. Is it just the default minimap ...only bigger? Or what's the difference?

Doing minimap overlays has been done already.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...MiniBlobs.html

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 09-06-12 at 02:23 AM.

09-06-12, 03:19 AM   #5
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

@zork
They want the in-game world map to work like Google Maps does (i.e., click-drag, zoom in/out, etc.).

09-06-12, 03:50 AM   #6
flesyMeM
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by zork View Post
If you really want that make a list.

Define what exactly the desired map should be capable of. Is it just the default minimap ...only bigger? Or what's the difference?

Doing minimap overlays has been done already.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...MiniBlobs.html
Mainly this...

Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
@zork
They want the in-game world map to work like Google Maps does (i.e., click-drag, zoom in/out, etc.).
But as for the quest blobs on minimap, I'm actually kinda digging this one... http://www.wowace.com/addons/questpointer/

It's updated for 5.0.4 and fully functional, places both the quest blob and the POI on the minimap, and integrates pretty well with TomTom. Got so used to the ant trails to the quest locations in Carbonite that I kinda miss that, but I'm slowly getting used to not having them.

Last edited by flesyMeM : 09-06-12 at 03:54 AM.

09-06-12, 04:46 AM   #7
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

But as for the quest blobs on minimap, I'm actually kinda digging this one... http://www.wowace.com/addons/questpointer/

It's updated for 5.0.4 and fully functional, places both the quest blob and the POI on the minimap, and integrates pretty well with TomTom. Got so used to the ant trails to the quest locations in Carbonite that I kinda miss that, but I'm slowly getting used to not having them.
If you choose to use TomTom, I would recommend against using QuestPointer also. TomTom has it's own quest pointing functions built right in. No need for Questpointer.

09-06-12, 05:36 AM   #8
flesyMeM
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
If you choose to use TomTom, I would recommend against using QuestPointer also. TomTom has it's own quest pointing functions built right in. No need for Questpointer.
They actually work ok together, depending on what you're needing to do and how you have your UI set up. I prefer to turn on/off the automatic quest waypoints as I need to via QuestPointer simply because I have a button for QP on my broker bar, whereas I don't have one for TomTom. When I'm binge questing, click and turn it on...when I'm not, click and turn it off.

The other minimap features of QP are still helpful anyway, even if you just leave the TomTom integration ticked off at all times.

09-06-12, 12:30 PM   #9
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Items I would like - if seeking alternatives. Googlemap like items for Battlegrounds - zoom able, change the size, see player health/combat at other nodes, quick (shift click) automatic call outs, etc.

Quest functionality built in is a must. Punk list and Warehouse is pretty decent but I could live without.

The great thing about it is that if I have all these addons working separately, I believe it will use more resources than a well coded single add on. Part of the reason I went to Carbonite (not to mention, it updates as a whole, not 5 different things I need to look at.

09-08-12, 10:04 AM   #10
ced_1973
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Angry

Copyright if they even had one was date to 2011. And a dev hasn't made a comment in the forums in a while.. ie the bandaid they put on this in May.

Don't get your hopes up that the devs are going to come back.. they just want your money to not do anything but make it work but no fix any of the bugs or get rid of the outdated code.

09-08-12, 11:02 AM   #11
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by ced_1973 View Post
Copyright if they even had one was date to 2011. And a dev hasn't made a comment in the forums in a while.. ie the bandaid they put on this in May.

Don't get your hopes up that the devs are going to come back.. they just want your money to not do anything but make it work but no fix any of the bugs or get rid of the outdated code.
It's only my guess, but I can understand why none of the original developers have shown their presence on this forum. If I were one of them, I would dread the thought of the barrage of 'attacks' aimed at me, after I finally chose to make an appearance. The actual function of this forum (to provide meaningful support to user's questions for the Carbonite addon) would come to a crashing halt! We users would not even be able to find answers to our own questions without wading through hundreds of angry comments which, in themselves, would have nothing to do with our own topic/question.

I also believe that at least some of the original developers are 'lurking' unnoticed and are reading these various posts, especially after Rythal has been bustin' his butt to repair some gaps left behind by the developers, fix some of the new problems introduced by Blizzard, etc. This forum hasn't been this active in at least a year or more. I'm happy about that.

Personally, I have great respect for this "brain-child" addon created by the original developers. It enhanced the game significantly with tools that Blizzard didn't provide, although they should have (IMO).

Just as a real-life parent will always watch over their child, I choose to believe that the original developers watch closely to what is happening to their own "creation." At least, I would.

--If-- they choose to make an appearance, I imagine they would/will do so only if they come "bearing a gift" of some sort (even though it's not required, nor are they obligated to do so), to hopefully reduce the wrath that might be waiting. I say, "God bless each and everyone of them for the wonderful product they created - in years past!" And, "God bless the forum administrators who have stuck around and have never failed to continue helping all of us who want Carbonite!" And, "God bless Rythal" for ressurecting interest in the Carboniteaddon!" -- It's amazing to me what an impact that one man has had on so many lives!

09-08-12, 11:25 AM   #12
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
It's only my guess, but I can understand why none of the original developers have shown their presence on this forum. If I were one of them, I would dread the thought of the barrage of 'attacks' aimed at me, after I finally chose to make an appearance. The actual function of this forum (to provide meaningful support to user's questions for the Carbonite addon) would come to a crashing halt! We users would not even be able to find answers to our own questions without wading through hundreds of angry comments which, in themselves, would have nothing to do with our own topic/question.

I also believe that at least some of the original developers are 'lurking' unnoticed and are reading these various posts, especially after Rythal has been bustin' his butt to repair some gaps left behind by the developers, fix some of the new problems introduced by Blizzard, etc. This forum hasn't been this active in at least a year or more. I'm happy about that.

Personally, I have great respect for this "brain-child" addon created by the original developers. It enhanced the game significantly with tools that Blizzard didn't provide, although they should have (IMO).

Just as a real-life parent will always watch over their child, I choose to believe that the original developers watch closely to what is happening to their own "creation." At least, I would.

--If-- they choose to make an appearance, I imagine they would/will do so only if they come "bearing a gift" of some sort (even though it's not required, nor are they obligated to do so), to hopefully reduce the wrath that might be waiting. I say, "God bless each and everyone of them for the wonderful product they created - in years past!" And, "God bless the forum administrators who have stuck around and have never failed to continue helping all of us who want Carbonite!" And, "God bless Rythal" for ressurecting interest in the Carboniteaddon!" -- It's amazing to me what an impact that one man has had on so many lives!
I can agree there, it was quite amazing to see the difference from 2 weeks ago when I first posted, till now ... back then the forums were constant with people posting that things were not working.... now it's getting rare, either people not installing right and asking for help or a small bug report, but at times I can go hours refreshing and see nothing. Which tells me thankfully most of it is working :P but definitely if one of the devs poked there head in, there would be a firestorm.

09-10-12, 03:21 AM   #13
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's only my guess, but I can understand why none of the original developers have shown their presence on this forum. If I were one of them, I would dread the thought of the barrage of 'attacks' aimed at me, after I finally chose to make an appearance.
The complainers are not fun, but the real reason is we simply have very busy lives. Between wives/kids/family/jobs/church there is little time and desire left to pay attention to or keep this old horse going.

I also believe that at least some of the original developers are 'lurking' unnoticed and are reading these various posts,
Carbonite was created by three people, one of whom financed the project. I wrote the addon. Haavok wrote the tools. He and I are still around if only once every few months.

We would have liked to make it more that it was and is, but economics stopped that. Haavok was laid off, my hours reduced and then down to just a share of donations. Donations have been very low for the past few years. People generally won't pay for what they can get for free (thanks Blizzard).

I work on and manage other people working on games all day long and have little desire after I drive my 45 minutes home to think about, play or work on more games. That would be like an auto mechanic coming home and then fixing his neighbors car for a few bucks, then the next neighbor and so on. I know one of those mechanics. He works on our cars after work because he needs/wants the money, not because of fun or some duty to the well being of our cars. I work on Carbonite because I want to see it stay alive and because people get enjoyment from it. My wife thinks it is not worth the grief, but I carry on.

I have said it before, if you want to donate for whatever reason, then do so. If you don't, then don't. That is your choice. Expect nothing in return, except for our thanks. God has always taken care of me and continues to, so I don't 'need' the money now, but I'm sure we can put it to some use.

It is now very late after all that rambling and I'm sure I will regret it in the morning.

So to those of you enjoying the addon, may you continue to enjoy it!

09-10-12, 03:54 AM   #14
Firefoot
A Murloc Raider
so I - for myself - really want to say thank you!
Balancing life and hobby is difficult - I know.
Most people simply went angry because there was no sign of you - not even a single line. And some can't imagine that when not actively playing you can overlook somtthing as a new add-on or patch.

I also want to thank rythal for his great work - he was a great help in the time you weren't avaiable - and now he just stepped back and canceled his files - as it should be.

Maybe you three should have a talk - maybe you can help each other - but that's just my thought.

In the meantime I'm just happy that my favorite add-on lives again and will donate again in short time!

Thanks again to all of you!!

Michael

09-10-12, 07:14 AM   #15
solipsist
A Defias Bandit
I work on and manage other people working on games all day long and have little desire after I drive my 45 minutes home to think about, play or work on more games. That would be like an auto mechanic coming home and then fixing his neighbors car for a few bucks, then the next neighbor and so on.
Then don't

Donations have been very low for the past few years. People generally won't pay for what they can get for free (thanks Blizzard).
I payed for a subscription back in the day, because i thought and still think this was the most awesome addon ever created. Blizzard in the time decided that such subscription based addons are against their terms of service. I wish it wouldn't be this way, but the fact is that it just IS this way.

Blizzard decided this, not us, the community. Should we as community be punished with a band aid addon with high mem/cpu usage? Should you punish yourself, by doing band aid fixes to an addon, where clearly you don't have the desire, time, passion, donationfunds to maintain this addon to an acceptable level?

In my opinion it's in your and our best intrest to release the sourcecode to us, the community, so you don't have to think and worry again about this addon, and we can rip its guts outside and in and recode the whole thing in the most beautifull, modular shiny code we all only could dream about at this stage.

It's not us who took your funds, it's Blizzard.... We guys supported you (financially), Blizzard didnt.... think about it.

Still, if you decide not to release the source code, then that's your good right. i just wanted to point this out to you. It seems that no-one benefits anything out of this situation.

09-10-12, 10:58 AM   #16
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by solipsist View Post
Blizzard decided this, not us, the community. Should we as community be punished with a band aid addon with high mem/cpu usage? Should you punish yourself, by doing band aid fixes to an addon, where clearly you don't have the desire, time, passion, donationfunds to maintain this addon to an acceptable level?

Still, if you decide not to release the source code, then that's your good right. i just wanted to point this out to you. It seems that no-one benefits anything out of this situation.
Well think about it... the "Us" community hasn't supported Carbonite enough - otherwise there wouldn't have been very low donations. Honestly, I stopped contributing because I stopped playing for about a year, prior to that I had been a loyal fan and contributed the annual subscription amount at the very least. However, those who were not used to paying the subscription amount don't have that as a "goal" or even feel the need to pay and everyone new who gets introduced doesn't get that feeling. While most of the onus belongs to Blizzard on the dieing of the addon, some of it belongs to the community for not ramping and keeping up support. That being said, I don't know how much Carbonite was bringing in back in the day when it was a paid addon, or how much it brought afterwards - or even if any of those numbers would have helped them stay focused on Carbonite.

As to releasing the code, I completely understand if they don't want to. It's something that you created, spent a lot of time and effort in and made most arguably the best add on in WoW. To just release the code, release all that hard work - for others to take it and rip it apart, possibly giving it a bad name or bastardizing your work... I have a hard time doing that in my own job, so I can only imagine what they would think.

09-10-12, 06:04 PM   #17
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I use the map and quest tracking features, but I never use, for example, the warehouse or the punks list or most the other things carbonite has. An add-on that was just the quest tracking and the map would be most welcome. Maybe design it to be module so people could add in other features they wanted instead of the multi-megabyte single LUA that carbonate has now.

09-10-12, 07:34 PM   #18
jovenyoung
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Perhaps we as a community could buy out the addon with sufficient donations. Give us a dollar value and let the community donate the funds to buy out the rights to the code so it can be made open source...

09-11-12, 11:28 AM   #19
mgzegz1
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Donations have been very low for the past few years.
I can't imagine that half-assed updates and support had anything to do with that. You guys are just being greedy and you don't care about the project anymore. So why not let those who do take it over and keep it going since you've stated very clearly that it's just an "old horse" to you. Just greed.. pure and simple.

09-11-12, 05:00 PM   #20
Theredevil
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by jovenyoung View Post
Perhaps we as a community could buy out the addon with sufficient donations. Give us a dollar value and let the community donate the funds to buy out the rights to the code so it can be made open source...
What a great idea give this man a beer in fact buy him a dozen or more

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » A plea to carbonite addon authors.