11-21-11, 10:57 PM   #1
Tankdin
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite outdated ?

Hi

When i log into wow i keep seeing a error that carbonite is outdated.
I have downloaded the latest version on wowinterface.com which is 4.220
is there a newer version then this and if so where can i find it ?

11-21-11, 11:30 PM   #2
def9
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
4.22 is the current version for wow 4.2. Try asking in the Carbonite forums area. Maybe someone was beta testing an updated version for them or maybe its an known issue.

11-23-11, 12:29 AM   #3
jarda128
A Cyclonian
In my opinion the addon simple checks a date of last update and when there is
no update for long time ,it prints the message about that it is pretty old,it doesnt matter if there is a new version or not ...
So just the best option is ignore it ...

11-23-11, 01:45 AM   #4
Tankdin
A Defias Bandit
Thank you all

11-23-11, 10:10 AM   #5
schwim
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The developers really no longer "develop" this addon, but bug fix it(which I wholeheartedly appreciate!). It's commonplace now to get the nag(based on a timestamp) until the next big patch, at which time the addon breaks and we all come running back to the forum speculating about the devs' absence until they post a fixed beta. Then we get one or two updates to fix the obvious errors, rinse and repeat.

I'll see you guys when the next patch hits!

11-23-11, 08:02 PM   #6
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

If (like me) your sick and tired of the message flooding your chat box everytime you login do this

open up Carbonite.ua (World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite) in wordpad or notepad (i use notepad++)

do a search for "111122" (2011, Nov, 22)

change it do another date id suggest 121122 that way you get 1 year before the msg repeats itself.

11-26-11, 01:20 AM   #7
bestwarrior
A Fallenroot Satyr

Yea the notification is pointless lol. Thanks for the tip on how to get rid of it

11-30-11, 12:23 AM   #8
thezeldrak
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite 4.22

I've read over these forums, and I think Carbonite is broken now. It worked fiarly decently with 4.2, but now that 4.3 is out I'm getting so many lua errors referring back to Carbonite that WoW forcefully disables all of my addons. I sat for two minutes watching the lua error message box count up all the Carbonite addons. It was well over 500 errors.

I just hope they update this addon for the new patch because it's been one of the MOST helpful questing addons available right now.

11-30-11, 02:00 AM   #9
Chevonne
A Murloc Raider
It usually takes a few days to get the kinks out. PTR never gives the devs everything they need to know to make this bestest of addons work right out of the shoot on live day. They also don't normally answer a lot of questions as it takes away from fixing the bugs. The best way to show your support and interest is to DONATE. For my money, this is the best addon for most of what you ask of the game. Yeah yeah yeah. You use this and that and whatever. If Carbonite wasn't as good as it is, Blizzard wouldn't be stealing so much of it to update their crappy UI. So pony up your appreciation. I sure will come Friday and payday.

edited for spelling errors...this cold medicine is killer. *sneeze*

Last edited by Chevonne : 11-30-11 at 02:03 AM.

11-30-11, 08:52 AM   #10
schwim
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Chevonne View Post
It usually takes a few days to get the kinks out. PTR never gives the devs everything they need to know to make this bestest of addons work right out of the shoot on live day. They also don't normally answer a lot of questions as it takes away from fixing the bugs. The best way to show your support and interest is to DONATE. For my money, this is the best addon for most of what you ask of the game. Yeah yeah yeah. You use this and that and whatever. If Carbonite wasn't as good as it is, Blizzard wouldn't be stealing so much of it to update their crappy UI. So pony up your appreciation. I sure will come Friday and payday.

edited for spelling errors...this cold medicine is killer. *sneeze*
Very optimistic, however judging by past big patch drops, completely wrong.

Carbonite is no longer actively developed. Every large patch, everyone visits, freaks out in the forums(and some predict the addons demise), then someone gets hold of a developer and we get a beta in a day or so, then the final in a few more.

When an early patch for cataclysm dropped, the dev posted stating that they were "taken by surprise" at it's release because they weren't playing the game but would get us an updated version. And they did.

I've taken the liberty of emailing the address of record for the carboniteaddon.com domain and hopefully we'll see an updated version in a few days.

Last edited by schwim : 11-30-11 at 08:56 AM.

11-30-11, 11:44 AM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Chevonne View Post
It usually takes a few days to get the kinks out. PTR never gives the devs everything they need to know to make this bestest of addons work right out of the shoot on live day. They also don't normally answer a lot of questions as it takes away from fixing the bugs.
You're wrong.

I was probably among one of the first 50 people to send in a 3 month payment for Carbonite when it was completely ran on their own web site. They were tireless in answering questions and were always right on top of every single bug that we reported. We never had to wait more than a few days for major lua errors to be fixed, and we always had a smooth running update the day of major patch releases.

One thing changed. Blizz stopped allowing payments for addons. Right after that was a drastic change with the Carbonite developers. No timely updates and no support. They will never get another dime from me.

11-30-11, 12:05 PM   #12
jarda128
A Cyclonian
Ble ble
Isn't is there the way how how to fool the blizzard addon policy ? For example zygor guide offers an addon for free but the guide is paid ...
I was subscriber original carbonite (the best spendied money ever ),and donate 50 usd (i know that is not much but i from a poor country in the europe) ...
Have any an idea how to make the carbonite to alive ?
J.K.

Last edited by jarda128 : 11-30-11 at 12:12 PM.

12-01-11, 08:29 PM   #13
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jarda128 View Post
Ble ble
Isn't is there the way how how to fool the blizzard addon policy ? For example zygor guide offers an addon for free but the guide is paid ...

No, there is not.

Zygor has not broken any of Blizzards policies.

12-01-11, 10:37 PM   #14
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

The next time this message will appear is

March 27th 2012.

12-01-11, 11:38 PM   #15
love4stupidppl
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post

One thing changed. Blizz stopped allowing payments for addons. Right after that was a drastic change with the Carbonite developers. No timely updates and no support. They will never get another dime from me.
So you won't give a dime to them because they have decided to move on and put this addon on maintenance only level of development? Maybe it's because it is no longer their primary source of money.

If you made something that people had to pay for get, then some person walked along and told you, you can't charge for it. Would you keep focusing on it?

Quit bitching, the prime dev is a family man who doesn't even play wow anymore. At least he comes back for the patches.

12-02-11, 01:07 PM   #16
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by love4stupidppl View Post
If you made something that people had to pay for get, then some person walked along and told you, you can't charge for it. Would you keep focusing on it?

Quit bitching, the prime dev is a family man who doesn't even play wow anymore. At least he comes back for the patches.

Yes, I would. I'm not so greedy that I would forget about the community that supported me.

I'll bitch if I so desire. I'm allowed to voice my dislikes, disappointments, feelings, and opinions as long as I do so while not breaking the forum rules. Put me on ignore if you don't wish to see it, or practice what you preach.

12-02-11, 02:51 PM   #17
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Haavok and I actually do have full time jobs and wives and kids. We put an update out 48 hours after the patch came out. How is that "forgetting"?

12-03-11, 05:35 PM   #18
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Unfortunately, this is the "instant gratification" age. In this context, some people just can't stand it when their favorite add-on doesn't work to their satisfaction, they report the "bug", and the devs don't come out with an update in 0.42 milliseconds. :roll eyes:

Keep up the good work, devs!

04-01-12, 01:20 PM   #19
Morpheusdead
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
Unfortunately, this is the "instant gratification" age. In this context, some people just can't stand it when their favorite add-on doesn't work to their satisfaction, they report the "bug", and the devs don't come out with an update in 0.42 milliseconds. :roll eyes:

Keep up the good work, devs!
And this was the latest post by either carboniteaddon or havoc. So 4 mo's + and they haven't even responded to a single post. I would say they have abandoned their obligations, I sure hope people are not STILL giving them money as they have in essence quit. BTW havoc has not even LOGGED into the site wowinterface in over 4 months much less done anything, I would say its safe to assume he doesn't care anymore. I mean even with jobs, kids and a life it takes what 5 seconds to open your browser and go to the site.

04-01-12, 03:03 PM   #20
Chmee
A Molten Giant
What "obligation"?

If I were a dev, and people repeatedly posted that I didn't care, that I had abandoned my "obligation", I would rapidly come to the conclusion that I not only don't care, I shouldn't care. Screw 'em. I applaud Haavok and Faatal because they resisted that reaction for so long.

If you're convinced that "the devs don't care" and "carbonite is dead", then you might as well just quietly go away and find yourself another map add-on, or use the standard Blizz map. There's no point, if that's your opinion, in necroing old threads just so you can whine some more.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite outdated ?