12-30-10, 12:20 PM   #1
Sheae
A Kobold Labourer
Event lag issue

Hey guys!

I'm somewhat new to addon creation, and I've encountered a little problem. I've reinstalled my windows and currently using default UI, but I've made myself a small unitframe, as the default playerframe is way to far from the actionbars, and as a fury warrior, I have to see my current rage almost every second.

The problem with it, is that I used OnEvent script with UNIT_POWER, and its kinda laggy.
The default playerframe shows my rage decrease as: 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0.
With the OnEvent script my frame shows it as: ..(zZz)..7..(zZz)..5..(zZz)..3..(zZz)..1
In some cases it even stucks on 1 (when I have 0), until my rage changes again.

I was sure it's not about one more statusbar shown on screen, as it doesn't use as much resource to make it laggy. However, I tried this: I removed everything from the lua (well only made it a comment --[[ ), and what was remeaning is a frame, the OnEvent script, and the handler for it. The handler function printed my current rage to the chatframe, nothin else, and the result was the same: 7..5..3..1..

I've solved the problem by switching to OnUpdate on the frame, but I think it will use too much resource when I will make the whole raidframes with power and health bars.

The questions I'd like to be answered are: what causes the events to be laggy? How can it be solved?
If I use OnUpdate, will it use much more CPU when there will be raidframes using OnUpdate too (instead of OnEvent)?
01-13-11, 03:50 PM   #2
Alternator
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't think there is a way for those events to work differently (i.e. they are always going to be haphazard).

Have you taken a look at how the standard bliz frames that show health/mana are implemented?

Provided you avoid putting in too much activity in your onupdate it isn't actually too problematic (there is also the option of setting up a make shift timer, so that it only updates information perhaps every 200ms for example)
01-14-11, 02:09 AM   #3
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
It is not possible.

The default playerframe use the onupdate script for the power bar.

Cheers
01-14-11, 04:24 AM   #4
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is no "bug" with it, UNIT_POWER only show ticks, not a static value.
If you want that you'd need to use an OnUpdate script.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Event lag issue