05-14-11, 12:38 AM   #21
symbiosis
A Murloc Raider

Post Mini map flicker

Originally Posted by Crystallyne View Post
I have installed the newest update, and my icons are still flashing as well. I also use seperate default and carb minimaps. (I have the carb minimap positioned below my regular minimap, but zoomed out a bit to see more of the map.) I hope y'all can get this sorted out!! Thanks for all the effort put into it!

Mine has the flicker problem still, but not on the carbonite, but just on the blizzard one...also I was wondering since this was the problem of the flickering is anyone else with carbonite having trouble going from DX 9 -> DX 11? I'm not saying carbies to blame but the same time i was asking about this issue, I was having that problem (and have left it there as my mouse dissapears too). and as I said it could be any number of things, just that carby was at the scene of the crime so to speak

05-14-11, 05:15 AM   #22
fixitman333
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by symbiosis View Post
Mine has the flicker problem still, but not on the carbonite, but just on the blizzard one...also I was wondering since this was the problem of the flickering is anyone else with carbonite having trouble going from DX 9 -> DX 11? I'm not saying carbies to blame but the same time i was asking about this issue, I was having that problem (and have left it there as my mouse dissapears too). and as I said it could be any number of things, just that carby was at the scene of the crime so to speak
I just upgraded to a DX 11 capable card last week (from 285GTX to 570GTX). I've had no problems switching from DX 9 to DX 11, but I've found that DX 11 is unstable and performs very poorly. Reverting back to DX 9 actually resulted in a big improvement. I hadn't thought about the possibility of an addon causing that until now. I'll see what happens without addons after work today though.

05-17-11, 06:55 AM   #23
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Lightbulb did a little test...

if you use Gatherer.. disable it..
get GatherMate2.
it's stop it..
think it's Gatherer really ( it need a update anyways)

Test it out yourself guys.. and let others know if this help you out..
I hope it's not carbonite or server minimap

05-17-11, 11:16 AM   #24
Yelina
An Aku'mai Servant
I don't use Gatherer. I have Carbonite

05-18-11, 01:44 AM   #25
jackpotmonkey
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It appears this may have something to do with the gameobjectcache.wdb file in the cache/wdb/enus/ folder, this would explain why the problem seemed to be fixed after the mini patch (as patches erase all the cache files) and why it re-appeared after a reload/restart of the game client. What the spacific problem is lies beyond me as I am not an author, but maybe this will help point in the right direction.

05-18-11, 04:38 PM   #26
fixitman333
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by shadow78 View Post
if you use Gatherer.. disable it..
get GatherMate2.
it's stop it..
think it's Gatherer really ( it need a update anyways)

Test it out yourself guys.. and let others know if this help you out..
I hope it's not carbonite or server minimap
I use GatherMate2, and everything I've selected for tracking on the Blizzard minimap dropdown was flashing. I decided to login to one of my "utility" toons to check for incompatibilities with other addons. The results were strange....

First, bear in mind that I have three accounts within my BNet account for multiboxxing. I'm certain that I've seen the flashing on all the characters I frequently use on the first and third accounts. I have a level 2 tauren warrior parked at the BB AH (my "utility" toon). That toon is on my second account, and has never learned any trades. The only reason he is even level 2 is because of discoveries during the run to Ratchet. His carbonite settings are all at the default values from a fresh install almost a year ago (same savedvariables files).

I initially logged in to that toon with only the carbonite suite enabled. I was greeted with a LUA error about getWintergraspTimer that was stuck in a loop (error number was counting up fast). I closed all the info windows I could see , having to tell WoW not to disable my addons during the process. I then logged out and back in, only to be greeted by the same continuing error. Oops, I missed a few.... I got them all closed, then relogged again. The errors were gone.

I turned on tracking of reagents, flight masters, and banks. None of them flashed. I then turned on tracking of everything, and nothing flashed. I even went outside BB and then back in, getting splattered by an NPC in the process (lol). I still saw no flashing icons. Finally, I logged out and enabled all of my addons. I still saw no flashing icons.....

I decided it was time to login to my 85 priest on that account. I still saw no flashing icons. He is an herbalist/scribe, so I flew around until I found an herb node. It was flashing normally. I then turned on all tracking options and flew around for a bit. The only thing that flashed was herb nodes (I didn't fly over water). I figured that maybe that account didn't have the issue, and I just didn't notice.

For my final test, I logged in to my 85 mage on my third account. He used to be herb/mining, but is now tailor/enchant. I was just doing dailies with that toon a couple hours ago, so I'm certain the issue was there. I say "was" because the issue is now gone. I have tried everything I could think of to recreate the issue, but it wouldn't return. I have been dealing with this issue on that toon since it first started happening. It has never just stopped and then restarted later.

I don't know what stopped the unwanted flashing. I do hope that this information will help the authors figure it out though. If the issue returns, I'll reply with whatever details I can.

05-22-11, 03:55 PM   #27
symbiosis
A Murloc Raider

Arrow Carbonite is disabled and it stops

Originally Posted by jackpotmonkey View Post
It appears this may have something to do with the gameobjectcache.wdb file in the cache/wdb/enus/ folder, this would explain why the problem seemed to be fixed after the mini patch (as patches erase all the cache files) and why it re-appeared after a reload/restart of the game client. What the spacific problem is lies beyond me as I am not an author, but maybe this will help point in the right direction.
It is still doing it after the mini patch...and i disable carbonite for some runs like BH, then come out in areas like SW etc, and it doesnt do it anymore

05-23-11, 11:09 PM   #28
jackpotmonkey
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Found a fix, kinda

If you are having this issue, turn tracking off for all non-gathering options, then reload your ui (/reload or /console reloadui), when you re-enable the tracking for the non gathering options (like bankers, mailboxes, ect) after the reload, they will no longer flash for at least that session, this seems to fix it untill you close the game client completely.

Last edited by jackpotmonkey : 05-23-11 at 11:12 PM.

05-24-11, 10:47 AM   #29
SgtGonzo
A Kobold Labourer

tried all listed fixes so far....

icons are still flashing, tried the listed fixes in this thread so far. I'm using the latest DL 4.1, and do not have gatherer installed. blink blink blink .... have to disable carbonite to get it to stop.... help?

05-25-11, 08:43 PM   #30
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For me, the blinking icons are still random. Sometimes when I log in, they blink. Sometimes they don't. It doesn't matter which server or character I log onto, or how many addons are enabled, either. The only thing I've found to stop it with any consistency is to change the blink rate of the active node icon in Carbonites options. Open Carbonites options to the "Map Minimap" page, and look for the "Minimap herb/ore glow delay (0 is off) 0.4" line. Click anywhere on that line and you will get an edit box that pops up. Change the value to 0 (zero) hit "Accept", and it should stop the blinking.

05-30-11, 12:34 PM   #31
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by fixitman333 View Post
I initially logged in to that toon with only the carbonite suite enabled. I was greeted with a LUA error about getWintergraspTimer that was stuck in a loop (error number was counting up fast). I closed all the info windows I could see , having to tell WoW not to disable my addons during the process.
I found that getWintergraspTimer error and fixed it. Fix will be in the next version, which I hope will be soon.

05-30-11, 02:07 PM   #32
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I tried a few more things and the flicker persists. Appears to be no way around it.

Found a post on the Blizzard bugs forum from someone making an addon that changes the blips and they have the same problem. No response from Blizzard to his post. Blizzard will need to fix it.

I made a change for the next Carb version which should help a bit:
Multipled delay of "Minimap herb/ore dot glow delay (0 is off)" x4, so flicker is less annoying. Appears to be a game bug. Set to 0 or 999 if you can't stand flicker.

05-30-11, 02:09 PM   #33
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you are having this issue, turn tracking off for all non-gathering options, then reload your ui (/reload or /console reloadui), when you re-enable the tracking for the non gathering options (like bankers, mailboxes, ect) after the reload, they will no longer flash for at least that session, this seems to fix it untill you close the game client completely.
Tried that and it still flickers.

05-30-11, 02:37 PM   #34
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

This will also help:
Added check for active tracking spell before changing minimap dots.

Meaning no flicker unless find herbs or find minerals are active.

05-31-11, 05:18 AM   #35
fixitman333
A Fallenroot Satyr
Why not just give us an option to not change minimap dots? I prefer to use the carb minimap for quest tracking only, so is there even a reason to change the dots on the blizzard minimap?

05-31-11, 11:22 AM   #36
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Wink

Originally Posted by fixitman333 View Post
Why not just give us an option to not change minimap dots? I prefer to use the carb minimap for quest tracking only, so is there even a reason to change the dots on the blizzard minimap?
uh there is a option.. it's been talked about many time here.. change .4 to 0 to default blizz style... the .4 just make dots blink ..

06-01-11, 03:33 AM   #37
jackpotmonkey
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yeah the first time i tried the reload it worked, the icons were flashing then after the reload (I was in sw) and re-enabling they were no longer flashing, however subsequent attempts have all resulted in no change what so ever. This issue also appears to effect things that you cannot actively turn off for tracking (such as daily quests/quests at your level), basically any overlay icon on the map. I am not sure how the flashing nodes was implamented but it appears that there is no longer a distinction between the gatherable nodes and other map icons, but for some reason at times it works as intended and only the gatherable nodes flash.... perhaps there is another way to go about isolating the nodes to flash without calling all the other icons as well, i knowtice that when everything is flashing the effect is not a smooth flash either, and it seems to flash between 2 different icons rather than on then off.

well, too tired to think anyways, wish i knew enough to be of some help cause its a frustrating bug.

06-01-11, 05:16 AM   #38
fixitman333
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by shadow78 View Post
uh there is a option.. it's been talked about many time here.. change .4 to 0 to default blizz style... the .4 just make dots blink ..
I got so used to the node icons flashing, that I forgot that wasn't the default behavior. I'll just go back to the default style until I hear this is fixed

06-01-11, 06:31 AM   #39
jackpotmonkey
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
workaround tested repeatedly

Ok I have tested this 3 times now and it seems to work each time, its just a temporary fix in that it will work untill you close the game client, which if you're like me and just log out to the login screen it should stay fixed untill you patch or have to close the client for some reason.

1. Go into your Wow folder and Delete the Cache Folder contained within (this must be done with the game client closed).
2. Launch the game normally
3. Log into a toon that has carbonite enabled (Note: It may need to be a toon that is in a major city away from gathering Nodes, My toon was parked in Stormwind)
4. When this toon gets loaded up the mini map icons will still be flashing, however if you reload your ui (/console reloadui) after the reload the icons will behave properly.
5. Now just remember that you will have to delete the cache folder again if you completely close the client, and reload UI after the first time you load without the cache, but this workaround should fix you up until a coded fix is found.

06-01-11, 02:29 PM   #40
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I am not sure how the flashing nodes was implamented but it appears that there is no longer a distinction between the gatherable nodes and other map icons, but for some reason at times it works as intended and only the gatherable nodes flash....
It works exactly the same. You cannot flash individual icons. You can only change the graphic page that all the icon art is on. Blizzard changed something in the game with how the page gets updated when it is set. Even changing it to the default art each time causes the flicker.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Minimap Icons Flashing