06-16-10, 07:22 AM   #1
Delanish
A Murloc Raider
Let's Build an Interface from Scatch

I'm wanting to clean up my interface and start from new so i wanted to ask some other wow heads what addons they use or suggestions.

Thus far if i had to pick one adon as a favorite i got to say ((i like my computer yelling at me when something prots or cd down or how much damage or healing i'm doing or taking.
Scrolling Combat Text
followed by
Altas Loot (Helps me to know where to farm for certain items)
06-16-10, 07:56 AM   #2
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Personally I prefer MikScrollingBattleText to SCT but that's my preference.

As for UI elements (such as panels and such) I love LitePanels which brings to Litestats which is a plugin for litepanels which gives you stats like gold, armor durability, bag space and other things like that.

Bar mods I prefer Bartender but you can grab any old barmod they dont vary greatly imo.

Hope these help you some I believe all the addons I mentioned can be downloaded from here so take a look at em you might enjoy them.

- Winston Churchill
06-16-10, 10:18 AM   #3
Wella

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Starting with my most favourite:

1. Shadowed Unit Frames - The best unit frames mod there is. Allows the amount of customizability anyone that doesn't need oUF would want with an easy-to-use configuration menu. Sheer bliss.

2. Satrina Buff Frames 3 - This addon has no screenshot, because as Satrina herself says, "If you can imagine it, you can probably make SBF look like that." Nothing more needs to be said.

3. Dominos - My action bar mod of choice. Quick and easy to use, does everything I want it to do. As Miralan said, though, they're all basically the same thing, I've just become more familiar with Dominos.

4. ButtonFacade or Chinchilla - I couldn't decide which I like better: the ability to skin the action buttons to look exactly how I want them, or the most customizable minimap mod out there. The PixelSkin plugin for ButtonFacade is lush, if a little hard to get pixel-perfect. Chinchilla is just great all-round: it lets me customize almost any part of the minimap, show/hide different things, add custom coordinates, zone info, ping info, etc.

5. Prat 3.0 - The chat frame is a very underestimated part of any UI: after all, it's where we communicate with everyone in the game world. (Unless you want to count /dance. >_>) Prat has so many ways to modify the chat frame and what goes on inside it that sylvnaaar himself has lost track of the list of features. It might cut into memory usage a bit, but everyone knows that memory usage rarely ever matters.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-16-10, 12:22 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Wella View Post

5. Prat 3.0 - The chat frame is a very underestimated part of any UI: after all, it's where we communicate with everyone in the game world. (Unless you want to count /dance. >_>) Prat has so many ways to modify the chat frame and what goes on inside it that sylvnaaar himself has lost track of the list of features. It might cut into memory usage a bit, but everyone knows that memory usage rarely ever matters.
Agreed.

TheMessageYou'veEnterredIsTooShortBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH
06-16-10, 12:41 PM   #5
markv
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
One of the best things I've done with my UI, and thanks to the inspiration of the TTS Boss Mods addon was generate an entire Text-To-Speech sound pack that I imported in to DXE for all my warnings. I've done this for ICC and ToGC, and it makes life so much nicer. It was a bit of work doing the import due to the way DXE has you set up custom sounds, but well worth the invested time.

For tanking a must have mod in my books is Tidy Plates with Tidy Plates: Threat Plates. Tanking with name plates on has always been pretty much a must, and with this mod it is so much nicer to be able to visually see when you're losing / lost a target and be able to snap it up again quickly.

TTS Soundpack ICC

TTS Soundpack ToGC

Alternatively you can just rip it from my UI Compilation as well as the DXE saved variables file to save you the importing hassle and then re-adjust your DXE warnings accordingly.
06-17-10, 01:22 AM   #6
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

http://www.ultraedit.com/

http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warcraft_API
http://wowprogramming.com/

Now you have everything you need to start from scratch.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
06-17-10, 02:43 AM   #7
Wella

Originally Posted by zork View Post
Oh, you. I was just waiting for someone to do that. Also, I would hate playing in a raid having the Microsoft voice tell me that a debuff's up. I would've thought checking the de/buff icons every once in a while might be enough.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-17-10, 09:27 PM   #8
harrellj
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Wella: Personally, I love the TTS. I just use the base mod and get things like "bone storm" "impale" "mutated infection". It makes it a lot easier because I don't have to pay as close attention to text on my screen for when a debuff is happening that I have to pay attention to, but rather can focus on other aspects of the fight. I do admit to preferring audio alerts over text alerts however .
06-17-10, 10:09 PM   #9
markv
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Wella, that's fine that you don't like TTS, but your subtle insults to people when you don't like something they choose to do is getting rather old, though it is par for the course with you so I'm not surprised with the response you made.

I like TTS simply because I can customize it to broadcast what sound I want. I don't use a tonne of alerts, but I made it for all of them just because it really wasn't that much more work to do (only a few alerts enabled per boss fight that I care about when tanking). TTS, instead of bing bong boing noises, to me is something I prefer and saves me the hassle of having to glance down to see what ability that it's supposed to represent when there's only half a dozen noises in total that are re-used repeatedly in DXE.

This also gives me the ability to pay more attention to the situation around me and see what other people are doing without having to glance at a timer bar as to when a boss ability is going to fire. Makes life sorting out what's going on in a raid while tanking a lot easier.
06-17-10, 11:13 PM   #10
jasje
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

There is enough inspiration + addons on this site to give you à good start so start looking around.

Tukui | Github

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Let's Build an Interface from Scatch