11-04-09, 10:14 PM   #1
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Microtransactions starting in/for WoW?

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...77775733&sid=1
Originally Posted by Nethaera
Today we’re pleased to introduce the Pet Store for World of Warcraft, a new way for players to obtain in-game pets to join them on their adventures in Azeroth. Two brand-new companions are now available for purchase exclusively at the Pet Store in the online Blizzard Store: Lil’ K.T. and the Pandaren Monk.

Make a Difference: Pandaren Monk Charity Pet

Enter the Pandaren Monk, ( http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000763 ) a martial-arts expert who’s here to help celebrate the upcoming fifth anniversary of World of Warcraft. He may be cute, but he’s proof that even the softest of critters can overcome the hardest of circumstances. For every Pandaren Monk that finds its way to a player’s side between now and the end of the year (December 31, 2009 at 11:59 PDT), we’ll donate 50 percent of the $10 purchasing price to the Make-a-Wish Foundation in an effort to brew up a little hope, strength, and joy in a child’s life.

Lil’ K.T., the Littlest Lich

Lil’ K.T. is a miniature lich who bears a striking resemblance to the legendary lord of Naxxramas, Kel’Thuzad. But don’t let his diminutive stature fool you: Lil’ K.T. has a diabolical laugh and wields true power at his bony fingertips, randomly wreaking icy havoc on critters who dare to cross his path. You can now buy this new pet for $10 on the Blizzard Store. (http://us.blizzard.com/store/ )

In order to receive a purchased pet, you’ll need to merge your World of Warcraft account with a Battle.net account. For more information on Battle.net, please visit the FAQ. ( https://us.battle.net/faq/index.html ) For more information on the new Pet Store, visit the Pet Store FAQ. ( http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=29845 )
I'm wondering when mounts and items (heirloom's) will make their way in. If I was made to answer yesterday, I'd have said never, but now I wonder.

I can't say I'm terribly surprised, but after speaking with a CSR during the Addon policy debate concerning in-game ads and a connection with battle.net/microsoft(ad dept), I really thought it would never happen.
11-04-09, 10:32 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of an item shop for WoW either... Like you, yesterday I would have said, "they'll never do that."

Though I am finding myself trying not to spend $20...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-04-09, 11:39 PM   #3
Republic
Paladin

95% of this game's development path since vanilla wow is about vanity. Are any of you actually surprised by this? I'm not. With each expansion, the game moves further away from what it once was.

This is not your father's orc, for it was once a gnome. Warcraft has become Storecraft.
11-05-09, 12:48 AM   #4
tardmrr
Lua Ninja
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Wow, it only took two posts for a rep from the "sky is falling" crowd to show up. Shocking.
11-05-09, 01:32 AM   #5
zero-kill
A Firelord

Only two, I'm more surprised lurking for a few days did not occur first
11-05-09, 01:39 AM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by tardmrr View Post
Wow, it only took two posts for a rep from the "sky is falling" crowd to show up. Shocking.
Where? I see a rep from cynics R us, one from club indecisive, and one from from bitter ex fanbois... but the sky remains intact.

I hoped to post this here to see feedback from both sides of the pond, while also getting the usual 'community' type behavior you just rarely see on oForums. There are plenty of sky is falling comments made on oForums, but only a little cynicism, doubt, and general disdain here, so far. Somehow, I can manage to find myself in all three categories. I don't see a direct implication that "Storecraft" was derived from this latest announcement, but has been an escalating factor in the development of paid services and items. Maybe you jumped to that conclusion by misinterpreting "Storecraft" to imply this announcement was the sole reason for his cynicism? In any case, I don't see kneejerk reactions yet... which would mean the sky is fine.

I guess I just don't see the point in mocking individuals in a thread, until there's real reason to (first blood).

And btw.. in at least two versions of Chicken Little, the sky actually did fall. Not that it will in this development.
11-05-09, 03:14 AM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Meh, it's a way for Blizzard to add some additional revenue however it's likely to be only for "vanity" items. In my PoV it's not any different than the WoW TCG items just not as random. It's possible we may see some of the older TCG items in a slightly "reskinned" form show up there, since Blizzard knows that not everyone has access to the WoW TCG or does not want to spend a bunch of cash hoping to get one item.

I am ambivalent either way. I don't see myself ever purchasing anything from the "Pet Store", then again, if Blizzard ties in the purchase of a in-game vanity pet or other vanity itme with a donation to a charity (as in the case of the Panderan pet), then I might more inclined IF I have the spare cash. However in general, I tend to resistant to most "micropayment" type of transactions.

Last edited by Zyonin : 11-06-09 at 11:17 AM.
11-05-09, 05:02 AM   #8
Dawn
A Molten Giant

As long as stores will only offer optional/cosmetic bonus crap, like they do now - pets, and stuff no one really needs in terms of "no impact to actual gameplay!" - I'm fine with it. If people like to spent money on things like that, it's their problem. But if it will ever happen that you NEED to buy basic things like a Tier Set or something similar, I'm done with them.
11-05-09, 05:11 AM   #9
Tithulta
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
As long as stores will only offer optional/cosmetic bonus crap, like they do now - pets, and stuff no one really needs in terms of "no impact to actual gameplay!" - I'm fine with it. If people like to spent money on things like that, it's their problem. But if it will ever happen that you NEED to buy basic things like a Tier Set or something similar, I'm done with them.
Absolutely....Although i "might" be tempted for the one part of the money goes to MAW, however if that was the case, why not just donate the WHOLE 10$ to MAW. Not like Bliz is broke or anything.
11-05-09, 05:57 AM   #10
Tincup
The Grumpy One

Originally Posted by Tithulta View Post
Absolutely....Although i "might" be tempted for the one part of the money goes to MAW, however if that was the case, why not just donate the WHOLE 10$ to MAW. Not like Bliz is broke or anything.
Because developers and designers don't work for free. Blizzard is still a business at the end of the day, but it is nice to see that they are giving. $5 for each of the million they will probably sell is a pretty impressive contribution.

I know my wife and I both bought one
11-05-09, 06:22 AM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Where? I see a rep from cynics R us, one from club indecisive, and one from from bitter ex fanbois... but the sky remains intact.

I hoped to post this here to see feedback from both sides of the pond, while also getting the usual 'community' type behavior you just rarely see on oForums. There are plenty of sky is falling comments made on oForums, but only a little cynicism, doubt, and general disdain here, so far. Somehow, I can manage to find myself in all three categories. I don't see a direct implication that "Storecraft" was derived from this latest announcement, but has been an escalating factor in the development of paid services and items. Maybe you jumped to that conclusion by misinterpreting "Storecraft" to imply this announcement was the sole reason for his cynicism? In any case, I don't see kneejerk reactions yet... which would mean the sky is fine.

I guess I just don't see the point in mocking individuals in a thread, until there's real reason to (first blood).

And btw.. in at least two versions of Chicken Little, the sky actually did fall. Not that it will in this development.
My simple answer to this thread is that if I was to buy anything for a game with real money it would be to buy it from the owners of said game. Gold Sellers ? Never. If WoW ever offered the opportunity to convert real cash to game cash ? Definitely. That is the difference here.

But, we all have to realise this is a game and to react accordingly. It is one thing to spend $5 for an in game item or $20 for 1m gold ( if that ever happened ) but its another thing entirely to pay $50 for a vanity pet in a game if you really cannot afford such luxuries. Think before you buy is the obvious thought here.
11-05-09, 06:34 AM   #12
Dawn
A Molten Giant

The problems that come with gold and item selling for real cash are way different than selling cosmetic things for real money. While the later doesn't influence gameplay for others, but yourself. The former really hurts a game, especially when it has not been part of the game since the beginning. There are games that don't have a monthly fee and get the money via an item store. Which has never ever attracted me for several reasons. If you put such an option in WoW, people will definiately start to feel like they have to buy things to compete. Just like they are flipping out over gearscore, dps and other **** already.

On a sidenote, I really don't think this will ever happen to WoW, they WILL offer more optional/cosmetic features, maybe even class change in the future - well, I highly doubt that, too. But, I don't believe in WoW having item stores at some point - hopefully not even hairlooms.
11-05-09, 09:38 AM   #13
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Don't press the panic button yet.

When you start seeing different kinds of items than you can already get via the TCG loot cards, then you can press the panic button.

So each of these is fair game:
- Pets
- Mounts
- Toys (Disco balls, rocking horses, etc)

Also, if they do something like making a 310% mount buyable (without needing to do something substantial in-game to be able to ride it at that speed), you may press the panic button then too.
11-05-09, 09:53 AM   #14
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
They're not going to sell gear, gold, or 310% mounts. Blizzard is smart, and they know they'd just ruin the game if they did start selling those kinds of items.
11-05-09, 10:29 AM   #15
Starinnia
Ninja Code Monkey
Eh, this game has had microtransactions since you could pay to transfer servers. I'm not worried at all. Anything that affects game balance won't be sold.
11-05-09, 11:53 AM   #16
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I want one of each!

Originally Posted by Starinnia View Post
Eh, this game has had microtransactions since you could pay to transfer servers. I'm not worried at all. Anything that affects game balance won't be sold.

/agreed
11-05-09, 02:14 PM   #17
Ither
A Firelord

I already bought mine, along with other things. In fact, my office at work is dressed up in WoW stuff. The students actually love it and gawk over my figurines throughout the day. Then again, I am a Director of Technology so it's quite "natural" for me to spend my money on game items.

I see no shame in this at all, in fact if they made mounts or otherwise gold available; why not? It's about making money and to them it's a revenue generator. Those who cry and whine are the ones who didn't think of it first and therefore have nothing better to do then say "zOMG THE SKY IS FALLING!"

Now get back in the game and game on. I'm a veteran of "vanilla" WoW and I say each x-pac has made it that much more fun to play!
11-05-09, 02:24 PM   #18
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

All I can say is... My Panda is so awesome next to me when I'm wandering in Northrend!
11-05-09, 03:09 PM   #19
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Galtar View Post
I see no shame in this at all, in fact if they made mounts or otherwise gold available; why not? It's about making money and to them it's a revenue generator. Those who cry and whine are the ones who didn't think of it first and therefore have nothing better to do then say "zOMG THE SKY IS FALLING!"

Mounts - yes.
Gold - no. Then the sky really would be falling.

Most of us are OK that cash-for-items exist, so long as said items do not impede the competitveness of those that do not have them. In other words, I'm not going to be left out of a raid because I didn't have $10 to buy a panda.

On the other hand, gold purchasing would result in a skyrocketing economy, such that the only way anyone could compete for gems / BoEs / etc is if they were purchasing gold themselves. It then becomes a requirement to play the game, and missing $10 might cause me to be left out. Not good.
11-05-09, 03:48 PM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
And Blizzard has a stance against gold sellers - not only because of "purchasing in-game stuff for real world money" but also because of its effect on the economy (noted in the post above).

"Buying gold makes baby murlocs cry." ~Eyonix
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Microtransactions starting in/for WoW?