05-18-16, 10:40 AM   #1
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
/reload crashes my client

I was just wondering whether anyone else is experiencing this problem. Whenever I /reload or log off a character, my beta client crashes. If I disable ConsolePort, this doesn't happen anymore.

I do nothing in particular on log out that would cause an issue like this, which leads me to believe it might be a memory leak or something to that effect that causes the crash whenever the memory that's occupied by my addon is freed. It's really impeding my ability to test code, since I have to restart the client each time. Logging in is not a problem. Anyone else had this problem?

05-18-16, 10:55 AM   #2
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
I was just wondering whether anyone else is experiencing this problem. Whenever I /reload or log off a character, my beta client crashes. If I disable ConsolePort, this doesn't happen anymore.

I do nothing in particular on log out that would cause an issue like this, which leads me to believe it might be a memory leak or something to that effect that causes the crash whenever the memory that's occupied by my addon is freed. It's really impeding my ability to test code, since I have to restart the client each time. Logging in is not a problem. Anyone else had this problem?
The game is still very unreliable, i can also crash it so easily by only creating frames/widgets.

05-18-16, 12:27 PM   #3
Gello
A Molten Giant
You may have already tried this, but if you haven't try to comment out or disable large portions of your login code to narrow it down what's causing the crash.

But yeah there are crash bugs. I'm having a client crash when reparenting one of a few HybridScrollFrames. When I see buttons are showing outside the ScrollChild boundry I know a crash is imminent.

05-18-16, 06:45 PM   #4
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Gello View Post
You may have already tried this, but if you haven't try to comment out or disable large portions of your login code to narrow it down what's causing the crash.
The crash happens whenever the addon unloads. Logging in works just fine. I do have a minor snippet that runs on PLAYER_LOGOUT, but I removed it to see whether that was causing it and it had no effect on the outcome.

I did some probing trying to figure it out. Texture caching was one thing that came to mind since that has seemingly been changed to unload hidden textures, so I removed all my textures just to see whether it would make a difference. It didn't.

I also tried removing some of the modifications I made to the default UI (custom game menu among other things), and it also had no effect.

05-18-16, 07:02 PM   #5
Predicate
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
In the past, I have seen crash-on-logout as a symptom of putting the UI in some improper state (setting a texture/model/font to an invalid path comes to mind), which only triggered an error when the client attempted to free the memory that failed to be allocated. Since having to restart your client will slow down testing, you may want to start by commenting out most of your code, then selectively re-enabling chunks until the crash occurs. If you're able to post a segment that reproduces the crash, we can probably help isolate it further.

05-18-16, 07:44 PM   #6
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Well, we're talking 10k+ lines of code with interdependent modules that assume a certain chain of events to occur on load. It's the nature of the beast when designing an addon for unsupported peripherals, I'm afraid.

I'll investigate it further tomorrow and try to narrow it down, but generally speaking I name and properly assign everything I use, whether it be textures, widgets or tables of data. It's obviously an issue with the client and not the addon, since this didn't even happen in an earlier build, but I'll try to figure out the culprit so that it can be patched.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » /reload crashes my client