08-21-12, 11:36 AM   #21
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
wow without carbonite seems bad... I sure hope that there can be some sort of fix or replacement.. I love how it all works, mainly the mapping and quest tracking.. without everything that carbonite brings to the table, I can estimate adding about 15 addons (some rather bulky) just to scrape the surface of getting "close".

Not to say that replacing it would be impossible, but omg... I would not want to be the person in charge of that task.

08-22-12, 11:30 AM   #22
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
well.. as an update after first night sitting down and seriously working on it (i'm not leaving anything to chance.. if they update it great i'll be ecstatic .... if not, at least i'm already started)

managed to undo the internal quest tracking, rewriting it to work with blizzards quest POI tracking, and had carbonite's tracker arrow pop up and try to lead me to finishing "The King's Command" in stormwind... which was definitely not anywhere in the script for it to know, so I knew it was working.

moved to pandaria, and ... fail lol, the quests show up, the quests let me track them, but because carbonite's routing / maps had no idea what pandaria is, the tracking was wrong and kept trying to send me to kalimdor for the objective.

Started adding pandaria into the continent/zone/map arrays but hit a snag with one part of a variable not getting set and left it last night trying to debug where it gets set and why it isn't set for those 13 zones.

Just wish beta had /reloadui .. annoying to wait 20 seconds to test a code change if it fails somewhere and I don't have carbonites reloadui

08-22-12, 05:07 PM   #23
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It does, it's just /reload. If you have the Ace3 libraries installed as stand alone's, it becomes just /rl.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

08-22-12, 05:11 PM   #24
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

And worst case scenario there's always the old tried and true... /console reloadui

08-22-12, 07:35 PM   #25
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
ahh... so it's /reload ... good to know and thanks

feel double foolish, since I finally got the pandaria mapID's added and discovered I didn't need to rewrite the quest stuff, undid it all and quest tracking in pandaria is working just from having the mapid's and zoneid's in the arrays...

on the plus side, at least I understand a little more how it works now and i'm that much closer to having a MoP version finished, the entire thing is working, except the outter map for panda zones

Here's a screen shot of how it stands right now... I'd say 90% working, both to wet appetites, and incase anyone thinks i'm just blowing smoke...

08-22-12, 07:45 PM   #26
bigsleepy121
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
awesome man please keep up the hard work. Would be awesome to have a Fan Update. TY

08-24-12, 12:15 AM   #27
j800r
An Aku'mai Servant
It's a good job I went on here. Carbonite is a fantastic addon that I've always loved to death but looks like it's not getting much love lately and will likely be abandoned. This is very sad. Yes, Blizzard's in built quest tracker does the job well but I always preferred Carbonite's one anyway.

Looks like I'll be forced to abandon Carbonite for good. Turning it over to the community will keep the passion burning but will also change it forever. It will never be the same again. I am really sad to hear this but looks like I may be forced to move on.

08-24-12, 05:07 AM   #28
Jacobite
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite Kickstarter Project?

Just a sugestion but the devs need to create a Kickstarter project and set a goal that we can help them reach in order for the project to continue. Once the project went to a donation only model, the devs had to focus on things that brought money home. That's understandable, and I can see why the project sort of derailed.

A large number of Carbonite fan's out there would be more than willing to drop even a few hundred dollars if there was a promise of an update. Ive donated before, and apreciate the work that goes into programing the addon since I use to program myself. Please create a kickstarter project and ask for what you need to be compensated for your work and let the comunity put their money where their mouth is.

Last edited by Jacobite : 08-24-12 at 05:10 AM. Reason: (sp error)

08-24-12, 09:19 AM   #29
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by j800r View Post
It's a good job I went on here. Carbonite is a fantastic addon that I've always loved to death but looks like it's not getting much love lately and will likely be abandoned. This is very sad. Yes, Blizzard's in built quest tracker does the job well but I always preferred Carbonite's one anyway.

Looks like I'll be forced to abandon Carbonite for good. Turning it over to the community will keep the passion burning but will also change it forever. It will never be the same again. I am really sad to hear this but looks like I may be forced to move on.
even if it's a fan update like the one i'm working on, it's still identical... as said earlier in the thread the code is obfuscated and a little confusing so it's taking time to figure it all out, but as it stands right now the MoP version does everything the same as the real one without any additional addons, all that's left is figuring out adding the new continent to the map. I know the graphics and file names (last night I had all 4 old continents showing up as Pandaria as a test lol) but what "should" be working to add the 6th continent to the map, isn't adding it..

-----
Hopeful were gunna see an announcement soon that an official update is coming tho, since both developers have been on the forums in the last week according to their profiles...

Last edited by Rythal : 08-24-12 at 10:20 AM.

08-25-12, 11:51 AM   #30
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I'll miss Carbonite, but many of the most important features (quest tracking) are sorta in WoW without add ons (not as good, but still there) so I am confident someone will come out with something like carbonate that has a lot less code by relying on the built-in WoW features instead of coding as if this was still wow 3.0.

08-25-12, 05:19 PM   #31
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
What's this... What's this! There's music in the air.....

Really wish I could talk to the dev's to make this easier.... so far the 3 things missing from me calling it complete

1) the area overlays that appear over a zone if you mouse over it on the map... i've been digging through the various mpq's for hours and can't figure out where they come from

2) the close up zoom of pandaria... I know how it's done, and as a test I replaced kalimdor with pandaria's, so when I zoomed in on an area, I saw the satellite view of panda areas, but on it's own in it's own array it never appears for me to place it under pandaria.

3) the zone scale is off a little, so the points of interest don't line up right on the map in panda zones.

#1 is what i'm focusing on most right now

08-25-12, 05:33 PM   #32
bigsleepy121
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
NICE Rythal Good Job . i hope you can get it going 100%

08-26-12, 01:57 PM   #33
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post

Really wish I could talk to the dev's to make this easier.... so far the 3 things missing from me calling it complete
It looks pretty good though, and looks like you are on the right track. I suggest you not even look at Carbonite's code, it's not pretty.

08-26-12, 04:38 PM   #34
Muezick
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

*img snip*

1) the area overlays that appear over a zone if you mouse over it on the map... i've been digging through the various mpq's for hours and can't figure out where they come from

2) the close up zoom of pandaria... I know how it's done, and as a test I replaced kalimdor with pandaria's, so when I zoomed in on an area, I saw the satellite view of panda areas, but on it's own in it's own array it never appears for me to place it under pandaria.

3) the zone scale is off a little, so the points of interest don't line up right on the map in panda zones.

#1 is what i'm focusing on most right now

You're amazing. Hundreds of people use carbonite and I know not many of them are willing to take the time to step forward and say thanks, but each and every download you get after you upload a working version is a thank you.

Shoot me a PM if you need test pilots, I've been using carbonite for years and while I never made full use of all it's features, I do pretty well know it inside and out. I know very little about code but I have a friend who might be interested in tackling the project with you.

thank you again for your help

08-26-12, 04:55 PM   #35
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by ezarra View Post
It looks pretty good though, and looks like you are on the right track. I suggest you not even look at Carbonite's code, it's not pretty.
oh I know... that was the first thing I did, took a day or so cleaning it up into a readable code state instead of an eye bleeding wall of text.

08-26-12, 06:30 PM   #36
Cherio
A Fallenroot Satyr
Am sure you will get there keep up the good work as said earlier millions will be happy with your updated working version

08-26-12, 06:37 PM   #37
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
yeah it's getting there... i've figured out problem #1 and #3, slowly getting them added.. both get fixed at the same time, as I add the overlay and fix how it looks on the map, the points of interest also get fixed and scale properly.

Half the zones are done.

I'm half expecting to say it's finished, then discover a release by the real dev's making the days and days of work for nothing :P lol

08-26-12, 07:25 PM   #38
Muezick
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
yeah it's getting there... i've figured out problem #1 and #3, slowly getting them added.. both get fixed at the same time, as I add the overlay and fix how it looks on the map, the points of interest also get fixed and scale properly.

Half the zones are done.

I'm half expecting to say it's finished, then discover a release by the real dev's making the days and days of work for nothing :P lol

I'd use yours because they were silent and that's rude, not to sound like an ingrate or anything. I love carbonite and have paid money for it in the past.

08-26-12, 07:49 PM   #39
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
lol... thanks, but I can appreciate why they have no wish to update it if they aren't... it seems like anytime headway is made, something else crops up pushing it back again... I was working fine adding zones then came to the panda starting zone (wandering isle) and realized... it's not on the map anywhere, nor is it included in the panda files, so now I get to do all the searching I just did for main panda zones again to track down where wandering isle is

tomorrow will be just patching old world so it works correctly once 5.0 comes live on tuesday, still a month to do the rest ... thankfully that's just figuring out the new filenames for some areas like wintergrasp so they aren't green blobs on the map, removing start areas from the current overlays and making them there own since blizz has made all start area's their own "zone" in the same location... no idea why they did that, probably something with the phasing stuff

08-27-12, 05:49 AM   #40
Cherio
A Fallenroot Satyr
I love you attention to detail soon on live it will be Darkmoon which been historically missing from Carbonite MAP btw add it it to the list of these standalone zones

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Will Carbonite be updated for MOP?