10-29-09, 09:40 AM   #1
lordgreg
An Aku'mai Servant

Why are my damage fonts so "sharp"?

Hi,

i've decided to stop using MSBT and start using default dmg output interface. There was just one thing that bothered me- fonts. You know the text that shows dmg number that comes out of enemy?

No matter what i do (Fontifier, Fontain, manual Fonts dir) the dmg font is always so sharp looking.

Am i missing something? (and yes, did tried with several diferent fonts, always with the same result).

Here are two screenshots i made:
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/wowscr...909161244.jpg/ (check numbers 27, 31 and text Miss)
http://img264.imageshack.us/i/wowscr...909161245.jpg/ (check number 24)

Help me out please :/
10-29-09, 10:13 AM   #2
BWarner
A Black Drake

Welcome to rasterization, a form of anti-aliasing for typed fonts. The program is correctly showing you exactly what the bit-for-bit data of the font is. However, it obviously looks a little rough - jagged and chunky, even. Rasterization takes that precise font and "blurs" it on the outside, to smooth it out, and increase its readability. Less strain on the eyes, and prettier type.

I believe you can fix this by replacing the damage font with something that already has rasterization applied to it. Alternatively, you could replace the font with something that either does not show this blocky, irregular issue, or one that is intended to be blown up to the sizes that you experience with floating combat numbers.

The Warrior Formerly Known As Aerowyn.

http://AeroWow.com/
10-29-09, 10:20 AM   #3
lordgreg
An Aku'mai Servant

hi and thank you for your reply with explanation. i apretiate it.

do you maybe know a list of good fonts or similar which already are rasterized?

thanks!
10-30-09, 03:03 AM   #4
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Eehm, silkscreen is one.
10-30-09, 02:51 PM   #5
lordgreg
An Aku'mai Servant

let me get this straight- if i change fonts manually, these font names should do the trick in Fonts directory, right?:

? FRIZQT__.ttf (the main UI font: NPCs names; buffs, etc)
? ARIALN.ttf (the normal number font)
? skurri.ttf (the 'huge' number font)
? MORPHEUS.ttf (Mail, Quest Log font)

why am i asking this? because even if i replace those fonts with my fonts... the damage font is always the same even though i have all addons disabled.

what am i missing again???
10-30-09, 04:16 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Make sure you're not naming your font to be ARIALN.ttf.ttf
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-30-09, 04:38 PM   #7
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

To elaborate further on what Seerah said. The file extension is .ttf so you don't actually have to type that part in.

So the renamed files would be:

FRIZQT__
ARIALN
skurri
MORPHEUS

The .ttf part is not physically typed.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-31-09, 02:17 AM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
To elaborate further on what Seerah said. The file extension is .ttf so you don't actually have to type that part in.

So the renamed files would be:

FRIZQT__
ARIALN
skurri
MORPHEUS

The .ttf part is not physically typed.
Only if you have NOT enabled "Show File Extensions" in Windows XP/Vista/7. If file extensions are shown, then the .ttf extension MUST be typed as well or you just get a generic "file" that does nothing. This is similar to *nix based OSes.

There are a few small AddOns that allow for easy changing of the default damage text WITHOUT the need to mess with the default game fonts. Look for mods like gdFont, xDamageFont and others (they all pretty much use the same code).

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-31-09 at 02:22 AM.
10-31-09, 02:57 AM   #9
lordgreg
An Aku'mai Servant

i am aware of that, trust me

i tried several fonts now. all give me the same result (ONLY FOR DMG FONTS!). the reason i'm confused here is when i used clearfont2, remember.. those fonts looked sooo smoth, even the dmg fonts so i cant understand what am i doing wrong -.-

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Why are my damage fonts so "sharp"?