11-01-06, 03:04 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Massive Mod Author Burning Crusade Beta Key Give-Away and more!

WoWInterface, in conjunction with Blizzard Entertainment, is pleased to announce a massive Burning Crusade Beta key give-away for mod authors.

This is not a contest! Whether using US or EU client, if you are a mod author that hosts with us and you have been keeping your mods current, you are eligible for a key.

Addendum: Please note, this site does not allow the upload of mods by anyone other than the original mod author. That is a violation of the author's copyright. Anyone caught uploading someone else's mods in order to get a Beta key will be banned from the site. Also, just zipping up your interface folder and calling it a compilation doesn't actually make you an "author". New compilations that are nothing more than that will be deleted and you will not be eligible for a key.

Also, one of WoWInterface.com's Featured Artists (and moderator on our site) has been interviewed by the gentlemen over at World of Warcraft Podcast. Cladhaire is best known as the author of PerfectRaid, Clique and the current author of WatchDog. The interview contains some good information about PerfectRaid, and whats coming for Cladhaire's addons with the expansion.

Head over to World of Warcraft Podcast to listen to the full interview.

Last edited by Cairenn : 11-02-06 at 02:15 AM.
11-01-06, 03:19 PM   #2
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Holy crizzap!!11
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
11-01-06, 03:53 PM   #3
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

*crosses fingers* been working with Loz on the new Discord UI Builder and this would provide an opportunity to help him test it and port all my UIs over before release.
11-01-06, 03:55 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
No crossed fingers necessary. It isn't a contest. If you have a current, legitimate mod on the site you are entitled to a key. Apply.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
11-01-06, 03:58 PM   #5
Bouvi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Cairenn
No crossed fingers necessary. It isn't a contest. If you have a current, legitimate mod on the site you are entitled to a key. Apply.
I am current and applied with the e-mail I use for my WoW account (also has bouvi in it). Do UIs count that are based off of Discord? Since Loz is working on DUB now.

Knowing my luck crossing the fingers just in case.

Thanks for this opportunity.

Last edited by Bouvi : 11-01-06 at 04:00 PM.
11-01-06, 03:58 PM   #6
grimman
A Fallenroot Satyr

What if I update my out of date addon(s) right now? I could totally hijack (BORROW) a friend's WoW acc in order to update my addons. :P
11-01-06, 04:00 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Counts. If your mod is current and legitimate, you qualify.
11-03-06, 10:50 PM   #8
Melek
A Murloc Raider
Is the HelloWorld addon I wrote for practice legal?

/Melek the DUBhorny priest
11-03-06, 10:52 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Melek
Is the HelloWorld addon I wrote for practice legal?

/Melek the DUBhorny priest
Now what do you think?
11-03-06, 10:53 PM   #10
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
An addon being submitted should be original work, not just some rehash of an addon that's been in existance for a while. It should also be useful to more than one person, and obviously have some application to the overall community.

Also, another reminder that submitting work that is NOT your own (To the point where people are literally copying the same .zip file and screenshot from another addon) is grounds for permanent banning from this site, and it goes without saying that that won't garner you a beta key.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
11-03-06, 10:56 PM   #11
Melek
A Murloc Raider
Whoa thanks for the quick reply Cairenn

I'm just getting desperate
11-04-06, 01:06 AM   #12
Incarnate
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Cladhaire
An addon being submitted should be original work, not just some rehash of an addon that's been in existance for a while.
Quick question as to this: if I have an addon I made for myself, that contains a subset of the same features as another addon, can it be submitted?

For example, someone on the WoWAce forums recently created an addon that displays a flight timer, and ONLY a flight timer, but the FlightMap mod exists that not only displays timers, but stores a database of route prices, route times, and flightpoint locations, and overlays these onto the world map - would the first addon be a legitimate addon, on the basis of not having nearly as many features that someone doesn't want (I recently swapped to the Ace'd addon due to it being smaller memory-wise with less bloat)?
11-04-06, 01:13 AM   #13
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yes it would.
11-04-06, 01:14 AM   #14
Incarnate
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Cairenn
Yes it would.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Time to clean up the code and comment it so I don't destroy my pride and dignity posting it here
11-04-06, 01:16 AM   #15
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

What clad is trying to say is, if all you've done is picked up an abandoned or broken mod, tweaked it until it worked, and republished it as your own, that really doesn't count. It takes very little effort to fix an abandoned mod, I've done it myself many times. WoWI and Blizzard are trying to get authors in that have a legitimate reason to be in the beta... to get their mods working for the new API.

Simply put, repairing Decursive so that you can get in the beta and play before everyone else does isn't fair. Earn it (and contribute to the community) by providing something different.
11-04-06, 01:31 AM   #16
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Tekkub
What clad is trying to say is, if all you've done is picked up an abandoned or broken mod, tweaked it until it worked, and republished it as your own, that really doesn't count. It takes very little effort to fix an abandoned mod, I've done it myself many times. WoWI and Blizzard are trying to get authors in that have a legitimate reason to be in the beta... to get their mods working for the new API.

Simply put, repairing Decursive so that you can get in the beta and play before everyone else does isn't fair. Earn it (and contribute to the community) by providing something different.
Indeed. I know folks want to see the expansion, but please don't spoil this for everyone. If people take unfair advantage of this opportunity, Blizzard will be less inclined to make such an opportunity available in the future.

We (WoWI) are doing what we can to weed out anything that is complete crap, and we have had to (unfortunately) ban a few people from the site because they uploaded someone else's mod just so they could get a key, but the sheer number of mods and emails and PMs and and and ... we're swamped, and some stuff may be slipping through.

I am appealing to people to be decent here. We want to be able to do this again in the future. If Blizzard feels that this was just a waste, they won't offer it again. For sake of the community, for sake of being able to have the mods you love work when the expansion goes live, please be reasonable.
11-03-06, 07:04 PM   #17
Bleed
A Kobold Labourer

this is really great, i'm excited to see more mods for TBC

grats all!
11-06-06, 01:21 PM   #18
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Next batch of names just went in. We're up to 393 now.

If you are an author and you haven't signed up yet, what are you waiting for? If you are an end user and you aren't sure if your favourite author is signed up yet, ask them if they are and if they aren't, ask them what they are waiting for.
11-06-06, 03:00 PM   #19
Rogall
A Murloc Raider
<3 and thanks for doing this.

Did I get signed up properly btw?
11-06-06, 03:16 PM   #20
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yup, your name is there under the EU list.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive Mod Author Burning Crusade Beta Key Give-Away and more!