02-25-07, 11:51 PM   #1
pacoboyd
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Buffing Thread

I am looking for a lightweight mod that will ensure that I always have my buffs up and running. I am aware of SmartBuff and will use that if there is no other option but I want something even simpler and preferably in ACE. Any ideas. (Reason I say in ACE is because this is going onto a removable hard drive and I want something easy to update) Thanks!
02-26-07, 07:44 AM   #2
KyesaRRi
A Cyclonian

I dont see the need for every addon to be using the ace 2 libs, even from an updating standpoint you can use WUU [Warcraft UI Updater] to update your addons from the most popular sites.

If you "must" have it using ace libs then CorkFu would be your best choice:
http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.p...ic=1459.0.html

It does NOT have all of the features that Auto / Smart Buff have.

"The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success"
"I know I'm not dreaming now because i know what its like to be in a dream... Dreaming lets me know reality exists"
02-26-07, 10:28 PM   #3
Farook
A Molten Giant

Though I like Ace2-Mods, I have to say that "SmartBuff" is by far the best addon for buffing out there. I tried many, but none has convinced me as "SmartBuff" (well "BuffAhoy" did almost, but that is RIP for ages now).
02-27-07, 12:51 PM   #4
pacoboyd
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
KyesaRRi -

Sorry if I didn't make my self clear the first time. Reason I am using ACE is because of the updater program as this is going on a portable drive (Hence the drive letter changes with every computer you plug it in to). I have found WAU (WoW Ace Updater) to be the easiest updater to make portable and retain all of its updating features. WUU had problems when I switched drive letters, having to reassign all my mods and their corresponding websites again. This will not do at all as I use around 60+ mods.

Anyway, I am forced to include SmartBuff in my package and will just update it manually. Had already checked out corkfu and it just didn't do what I needed. Thanks all!

On another note this is a bit of a gripe. It seems that some of the posters on this website have almost become ANTI-ACE. Please keep in mind that not all posters are asking for ACE mods out of the ignorance that "it is better because it is ACE" and they may actually have a reason behind what they are asking for. I personally use almost all ACE mods exclusively for three reasons
1) WAU (WoW Ace Updater) - Very fast, usually very reliable, and very portable.
2) Deuce Commander - Makes configuring my ACE mods (in game) a snap and its all in one place.
3) ACE seems to run smaller and more efficiently than other mods. I used to use non-ace mods but found my script memory in game getting unruly and after switching to ACE mods (hours of hunting and pecking to find just the right ones. I can now run all 60+ of my mods using less than 45mb of memory.

I don't expect everyone to port their mod to ACE and I realize that some mods don't lend themselves to being written in ACE as well. But realize that I probably won't use it (not that you care )
02-27-07, 05:18 PM   #5
KyesaRRi
A Cyclonian

Most of my UI is made up of Addons that use Ace2, im not all that "anti ace" as i sound. From what i have seen recently many people will only use "Ace" addons, wont touch anything in between and they dont have a valid reason for choosing so.

Got a bit of a hangover, so i hope i have gotten my point across without too much fuss.

Edit: I'll try to do a feature request for the way WUU handles drive letters

"The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success"
"I know I'm not dreaming now because i know what its like to be in a dream... Dreaming lets me know reality exists"

Last edited by KyesaRRi : 02-27-07 at 06:03 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Buffing Thread