10-23-08, 02:05 PM   #1
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
FuBar type panels for Broker

I have used FuBar panels at the top and bottom for ages.
With some of the recent addons, like BugSack, I can get them to display in the FuBar panel with Broker2Fubar.

I have looked for a broker addon/manager/whateveritscallednow that will behave like FuBar. I tried Titan Panels. Titan does not allow me to position an icon left, centre, right, top or bottom, like FuBar does.

Needed: An FuBar type panel, top and bottom, configurable, to run broker addons.
10-23-08, 02:28 PM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by saanlem View Post
I have used FuBar panels at the top and bottom for ages.
With some of the recent addons, like BugSack, I can get them to display in the FuBar panel with Broker2Fubar.

I have looked for a broker addon/manager/whateveritscallednow that will behave like FuBar. I tried Titan Panels. Titan does not allow me to position an icon left, centre, right, top or bottom, like FuBar does.

Needed: An FuBar type panel, top and bottom, configurable, to run broker addons.
With Titan you can move them from top to bottom and left to right.

Top - Bottom just click on the plugin and drag it from the top to the bottom.

Left - Rigth you have to kinda "leap frog" over each other plugin.
10-23-08, 02:49 PM   #3
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
Left - Rigth you have to kinda "leap frog" over each other plugin.
Thats what I found, which is not what I want. There are some icons I want in the center, some all the way left, and some all the way right.

Thats for answering
10-23-08, 03:44 PM   #4
dwex
A Fallenroot Satyr
I am interested in the same thing. I don't like the fact that Titan thinks it's smarter than I am about what should be on the left, and what should be on the right, and having no middle. I want an LDB container that's a proper frame/panel-model bar, like Titan or Fubar, but with the layout flexibility of Fubar and the plugin support for LDB.

I realize that you can do this all by hand by building a fully custom UI and using one of the existing LDB container addons, but that's way too much work. I want a mostly-stock UI, with the organizational ability of top & bottom panels.

I can code simple LUA, and bug-fix a lot of stuff, but this level of complexity is beyond me at this point. If something like this doesn't show up soon, I may break down and start working on it.
10-23-08, 04:00 PM   #5
saitoh183
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Check out Buttonbin for Broker mods or Fortress...I use ButtonBin with Fubar2Broker and its heaven...I can place them anywhere i see fit
10-23-08, 04:08 PM   #6
dwex
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by saitoh183 View Post
Check out Buttonbin for Broker mods or Fortress...I use ButtonBin with Fubar2Broker and its heaven...I can place them anywhere i see fit
The problem with both of those is that they are not frame-movers like Fubar and Titan. If you want to manually place everything, they'll work fine. But if you just want stuff contained at the top and bottom of your mostly-stock UI, they don't "work right" for that.

If I break down and start working on this, it will be by taking one of those and working on the frame-management parts in some fashion.
10-23-08, 05:05 PM   #7
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I have tried Fortress, which is petty close. However, it seems to have a bug in that no profiles are saved.
Buttonbin is an addon container, but not suitable as a replacement for Titan or FuBar. Titan with some work could do it
10-23-08, 05:41 PM   #8
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
I have already answered this so I'll just reiterate. The design is fundamentally different in both bar addons and its ultimately a subjective design decision that depends on each author's mindset. Some people will like it. Some people will be neutral. Some people will hate it. Tough luck but all there is to it.

I have personally considered a different design but have abandoned the idea, since: a) it would probably require a major rewrite of a significant part of the code to say the least, testing aside and I simply don't have the time nor the stomach to do it. b) I don't personally find it particularly interesting or useful, since I'm accustomed to the current design that has served me well for me for almost 3+ years now. That is not to say I'm not open to new ideas or oblivious to what other people find useful or anything, but if I simply wanted to "copy" FuBar and add even more features to it, I would have written something entirely different, instead maintaining and improving/polishing something that is currently working.

At the end of the day there are 2 solutions, if neither one satisfies you, code your own or find someone willing to do so
10-23-08, 06:15 PM   #9
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by saanlem View Post
I am not asking for an existing addon to be changed. I am requesting a "container" that works like, and looks similar to FuBar.
10-24-08, 08:53 AM   #10
dwex
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
At the end of the day there are 2 solutions, if neither one satisfies you, code your own or find someone willing to do so
Dude, get a grip. This isn't an attack on you, or on Titan. I don't like the way Titan works; I don't like that FuBar/LibRock is basically unsupported, broken and obsolescent in an LDB world.

If this had been posted in the Titan forums or addon comments, then maybe your high horse would be justified. But instead, you've just given me yet another reason to not use Titan.

The entire point of a forum called "Interface Requests" is to do exactly what you said - find someone willing to do so.

Sorry if you took this as an attack on your special snowflake addon, but get over yourself.
10-24-08, 10:29 AM   #11
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Originally Posted by dwex View Post
Dude, get a grip. This isn't an attack on you, or on Titan. I don't like the way Titan works; I don't like that FuBar/LibRock is basically unsupported, broken and obsolescent in an LDB world.

If this had been posted in the Titan forums or addon comments, then maybe your high horse would be justified. But instead, you've just given me yet another reason to not use Titan.

The entire point of a forum called "Interface Requests" is to do exactly what you said - find someone willing to do so.

Sorry if you took this as an attack on your special snowflake addon, but get over yourself.
Nor did I deduce that it was an attack. I was actually referring to saanlem's "Titan with some work could do it" comment, since it has to do with me. There is no high horse, I was explaining the state of affairs and why are some things the way they are, to avoid confusion, because it has been mentioned before.
10-27-08, 11:15 PM   #12
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Tristanian View Post
Nor did I deduce that it was an attack. I was actually referring to saanlem's "Titan with some work could do it" comment, since it has to do with me. There is no high horse, I was explaining the state of affairs and why are some things the way they are, to avoid confusion, because it has been mentioned before.
Geez.. I get irritated at the nubs who've, for so long, trashed Titan Panel.. it's a good addon, especially since Trist took it over. I don't personally use it, because I like more configurability, and therefore use fortress, however, my wife does, and it works great.

FuBar + Broker2Fubar = your answer. Now. Problem solved, so everyone please quit the fanboyism.

break19
10-28-08, 07:27 AM   #13
dwex
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by break19 View Post
FuBar + Broker2Fubar = your answer. Now. Problem solved, so everyone please quit the fanboyism.
No, it's not. FuBar is basically unmaintained, LibRockConfig is broken, with awful hacks done to it to hide the visible part of it being broken without actually fixing it. I debugged what was wrong with it, wrote it up in a ticket on WoWAce, discussed it on the Ace and WoW UI forums, and have gotten no help in understanding how to fix the problem (since the part that's broken is beyond my experience). And after debugging what's actually wrong with LibRockConfig (a disgusting hack in how it persists its config state), I have no real confidence in the underlying code.

FuBar is obsolescent, seeing as it and its framework are not being maintained.

Even if FuBar weren't broken, FuBar+Broker2Fubar is still a hack, by adding shim layers that just slow things down. It's OK for a transition, but it's not a real answer. An LDB-aware, supported FuBar would be the ideal answer.

You yourself don't use Titan, so get off your high horse and watch who you're calling "nubs". If Fortress or some other LDB container had the frame/panel support that FuBar & Titan have, that would address the request that this thread was about. Asking for a FuBar-like LDB-native addon isn't "fanboyism", and it's exactly what this forum is for.
10-28-08, 02:38 PM   #14
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
BE nice!
There is no reason to start flaming and whining.

I have a request for an interface addon, current, or to be yet designed, for a panel addon that is as versatile as FuBar was, and is Broker compliant.

I have tried Titan, Wraith ButtonBin StatBlockCore Fortress Carousel MakeRocketGoNow

May the Bluebird of Happiness be with you!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » FuBar type panels for Broker