08-19-10, 02:17 AM   #1
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Button Facade Question.

I decided to finally make my own ButtonFacade skin, but I've run into a bit of a snag, so.....

Is there any way at all to have ButtonFacade ignore the in-game color options for the main coloring of the button? For example: I made my button a certain color, but when I load the skin in-game the color options in ButtonFacade override it. I don't mind that for things like the highlight and whatnot, but I made the button a certain color for a reason and, darn it, I want that color!

I've managed to get everything else working OK (well, except for the colored name thing in the addons list), but this colored button thing is driving me up a wall.
08-20-10, 07:59 AM   #2
HeySookie
A Murloc Raider
Go to the options > icons and check 'do not color buttonfacade borders' within satrina buffs and it won't do it. As for other addons you're skinning via BF, idk.
08-20-10, 10:46 AM   #3
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Can't you set it, in BF, to use your color(s)? I thought I'd seen some skins that set BF to their colors when you load the skin...
08-20-10, 03:08 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

@HeySookie: That would work fine .... For SBF. Which I don't use. Thanks for the information, though. Good to know if I start using SBF.

@Taryble: I'm not sure. I know that there is a part that looks like this: "Color = {0, .0, .0, 0}," with varying combination's of decimals and 1's and 0's but changing these numbers seems to have absolutely no effect.

EDIT: (slam's head onto table) DOH! Of course, if you remember to hit the "Reset Colors" button in the BF config, it really helps things along. Now I just have to figure out which of those numbers correspond to which color (so I can set everything up in the "Skins.lua" for the other coloring), and I'll be good to go. Thanks, Taryble, for pushing me in the right direction.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 08-20-10 at 04:19 PM.
08-20-10, 05:13 PM   #5
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Most colors in WoW (and addons) seems to be in Red, Green, Blue, Alpha order - (r, g, b[, a]), in api shorthand.
08-22-10, 09:41 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
Most colors in WoW (and addons) seems to be in Red, Green, Blue, Alpha order - (r, g, b[, a]), in api shorthand.
Yeah. I figured that out from reading the Creating BF Skins page. What I was really looking for was some kind of table that would give me a direct correlation between the numbers and the colors that would show up on your skin in-game. Really, I was just being lazy and didn't want to do the research (or the math, 'cause, y'know, I just suck at math). I figured it out after a little experimentation and a bit of "alt + tab"ing and "/rl"ing.

Anyway, Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. Again. 8>)
08-22-10, 11:21 AM   #7
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Heh, you're welcome.

When it comes to RGB colors, I generally only know what happens when you have 255's or 0's in slots - not real good at the idea of "67, 192, 14" style colors. :>
08-22-10, 12:57 PM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Heh, you're welcome.

When it comes to RGB colors, I generally only know what happens when you have 255's or 0's in slots - not real good at the idea of "67, 192, 14" style colors. :>
Well, that's usually where a graphics program comes in handy. The problem for me, though, is that my gp's don't give colors in a decimal format that is compatible with plugging them into Lua. Since the RGB scale uses 255 as a max, and 0 as a minimum, I figured 10% of max is 25.5, so if you want that amount of color, .25 would have to do, since I really don't know how exact you can make those figures and the actual number is 25.5. Given your example (67, 192, 14) I figure you could probably get away with .26, .88, .07. Might not be exact, but it'll get close.

I'm hoping this helps other people having this same problem.
08-22-10, 10:53 PM   #9
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Well, it's really a scale out of 256 - 0 to 255, inclusive, is 256 numbers. This translates pretty quickly into a hex code (ff, 0a, 3b, etc). Or, to convert to a decimal, just add one, and divide by 256.

Since you're probably at your computer when doing this, the windows "Calculator" program is useful - it can do hex<>decimal conversions with the "scientific" mode.

There's also a lot to be said for looking up web design stuff - they usually have a selection of a couple of hundred colors with the hex codes somewhere on those sites.
09-05-10, 10:06 AM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Hey, I know it's been a while, but......

The 256 number really doesn't work since you only have a max value of 255. Yes, you have a min value of 0, but for the purposes of my calculations I don't even consider it. Since I'm dropping the decimal anyway, I figure it doesn't make that much difference. Apparently (at least for BF), you can only use values of 0 (no color), 1 (all color), or two place decimals (.01). Not very exact, but close. I know it's not really right, but it's the best I could come up with.

I figured out the colored name thing, too. It was right there in one of BF's documentation pages. You do it like so: Start with a "pipe" character "|" then the color, which must always start with "cff", then the six digit hex code for the color (we'll use RGB Cyan) "00ffff", then "The Name" (of your addon), another "pipe" character "|" and "r". So, it would look like this in your .toc:

"|cff00ffffThe Name|r" But, in the "AddOns" window, it will show up as "light blue" The Name.
Hope this helps someone.
09-05-10, 01:41 PM   #11
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

For the love of all that's holy, please don't colorize the names of your AddOns; you'll mess up the alphabetical sorting that many people rely on to find specific AddOns to enable/disable/configure. This was a horrible problem in 2006/2007 but thankfully almost completely went away in the latter part of 2007.

Not to mention, quite a few authors made every other letter a different color so the AddOns screen looked like a clown puked on it.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
09-05-10, 06:43 PM   #12
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I'm with Torhal - it really annoys me that all of the "AraBroker" addons and have colored names - moves an "a" addon to the bottom of the list.

Doesn't bother me so much with ZOMGBuffs, since it's already at the arse end of the list.
09-05-10, 11:55 PM   #13
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

And yet, not only is ButtonFacade: Renaitre (purple "Renaitre") grouped with BF, but so is mine after I changed the name color to blue. Not the BF part, just the "ClassButtons" part. Same with an experimental skin I made. Left the ButtonFacade part alone, just colored the skin actual name and it's grouped right there with BF.

To be clear, I have absolutely zero interest in making any addons with different colors for each letter in the name. I just thought it would be nice to have the "ClassButtons" part in a different color.

Guess I won't be doing THAT any time soon.

Killjoys. 8^)

By-the-way, just why does a colored name put that addon out of alphabetical order?

Last edited by jeffy162 : 09-06-10 at 12:01 AM.
09-06-10, 07:50 AM   #14
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
<snip>
By-the-way, just why does a colored name put that addon out of alphabetical order?
Because the alphabetical sort sees the "|" of the "|cffdddddd" instead of the first letter of the AddOn name, so it's sorted to the bottom. The reason yours is sorted fine is that you left "ButtonFacade" uncolored.

EDIT: Actually, yours will still fail to sort properly when compared to other BF AddOns because of the color escape codes.

09-06-10, 09:50 AM   #15
Taryble
A Molten Giant

Basically, it sorts by the string in the "Title" line in the TOC, not by the actual displayed value of the title.
09-06-10, 12:23 PM   #16
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Basically, it sorts by the string in the "Title" line in the TOC, not by the actual displayed value of the title.
Could you imagine sorting by color?

09-06-10, 02:52 PM   #17
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

OK, OK - I get it already!! Normal = Good. Different = Bad. 8^)

I sort of figured the "|" character threw everything off, and, no, the addons of mine that I added the colored name to don't sort properly with the rest of the BF addons. Not even other "colored name" ones. AH-HA! New English rule!! "B" before "R", except after "|". (slams head onto table) DOH!! (I've GOT to stop doing that. It's starting to hurt!)
09-14-10, 08:11 AM   #18
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I've always been a fan of making clowns puke, but still want my plugins to be categorized with their parent addon.

Here are some references that might help you out in the future..

http://www.wowwiki.com/Class_colors

http://meyerweb.com/eric/articles/webrev/199807b.html

http://www.uize.com/examples/sortable-color-table.html

Last edited by Limb0 : 09-14-10 at 08:13 AM. Reason: chopped link
09-15-10, 11:57 AM   #19
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thank you Limb0. I really appreciate those links you posted.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Button Facade Question.