08-03-05, 09:37 AM   #1
coloswift
A Murloc Raider
I had a mod Idea and yep I have no skills to do it! GRRR!

Ok so here is my mod Idea. Forgive me this may or may not be long.

Okay for those of you that use Monkey quest. You know how you can expand and collapse the window that all the quests sit in?. Well make a window like that and allow it to hold buttons. Now make a config panel to edit said buttons. Now why I think this is a good Idea. For emotes! I want a colapsable window that I can assign custom emote texts that I can drop down and hit the correct emote I have designed. So I ask you all what does this take? can I learn to do this myself? or can anyone either do this or point me to a Newbie How to guide?

Thanks again for entertaining my Idea and please be gentile I'm as you call a nuwb or how ever it is spelled LOL Thanks!

Last edited by coloswift : 08-03-05 at 09:45 AM.
08-03-05, 09:44 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi Coloswift. I've moved your thread to the Developer section of the board as it sounds like you'd like to learn how to do this yourself, rather than have someone else do it for you, thus you will need the technical expertise found in this area of the forums.

If I may be so bold as to make a teeny suggestion, though ... please consider editing your post to increase the font size? Speaking for myself, I find your post difficult to read because the text is just so darn small.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
08-03-05, 09:47 AM   #3
coloswift
A Murloc Raider
Terribly sorry about that I wasn't aware that I did that LOL sorry. And thankyou so much for moving this to the right place. Your right I'd much rather do it myself. I miss modding and wish to return to it. But I feel this isn't like NWN modding. Anyhoo back to on topic!!

Thanks again
08-03-05, 11:17 AM   #4
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've never used Flexbar, but it sounds like something Flexbar could do?
08-03-05, 11:21 AM   #5
Remelio

Originally Posted by Gello
I've never used Flexbar, but it sounds like something Flexbar could do?
You could make a group of buttons in flexbar and have them hide when the mouse isn't in the group and show when it is in the group... Not sure if there are any mods out there that would handle this easier.
08-03-05, 11:24 AM   #6
coloswift
A Murloc Raider
I'm hearing Flexbar alot. I supose I'll give it a try and see. I got lost researching Lua tutorials and such so why not try Flexbar if it works at least I can write a tutorial on how it's done.

Thanks for all your help I'll keep trying and keep you posted.
08-03-05, 11:25 AM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Discord Action Bars would probably do it as well. I just hadn't worried about mentioning them, since I believe I understand from your post that you wanted to try to learn how to actually do it yourself.
08-03-05, 11:26 AM   #8
Remelio

Well don't get me wrong.. I was just saying Flexbar could do it... but if you want it done exactly like what you have imagined, its always best to go try to make it yourself that way you have exactly what you want!
08-03-05, 11:28 AM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Remelio
Well don't get me wrong..
Hard to get you any other way, since you never are.

*grin*

*stops hijacking thread with torment of Remmy*
08-03-05, 11:34 AM   #10
Gello
A Molten Giant
Oh to do it yourself that would be a great first UI project to learn.

It'd be pretty simple also.

You'd want to make a minimize/maximize button that hides and displays a frame containing a bunch of buttons that do emotes.

- Anchor the frame to the min/max button
- Depending on the "minimized" or "maximized" state, update the textures of the button if it's pushed

Once you have it doing "built in" emotes, you could allow the user to edit the emotes by right-clicking them which pops up an EditBox to enter their own.

Emotes in lua are done with SendChatMessage(text,"EMOTE")
08-03-05, 11:34 AM   #11
coloswift
A Murloc Raider
Well I'm confused if I want to do it myself or not really. all this coding stuff is intimidating. I'll try both those mods tho to try and save a bit of time I just hope they won't do away with my existing stock UI. I'll let you know!

Thanks Again hehehe

Gello Slow down just a tiny bit one second please. Where do I start learning about how to do this? I like you think it'd be simple as well but if you can point me in the direction a a begginers first step I'll have better luck. And FYI I have no coding skill or background, I'm just now mastering Mozilla Composer LOL.

Last edited by coloswift : 08-03-05 at 11:39 AM.
08-03-05, 11:37 AM   #12
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by coloswift
I just hope they won't do away with my existing stock UI.
Backups, backups, backups.

Complete Interface and WTF folders.
08-03-05, 11:39 AM   #13
Remelio

Originally Posted by Cairenn
Backups, backups, backups.

Complete Interface and WTF folders.
After having to re-do flexbar configuration for 4 characters I cannot agree with this more
08-03-05, 11:52 AM   #14
Gello
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by coloswift
Well I'm confused if I want to do it myself or not really. all this coding stuff is intimidating. I'll try both those mods tho to try and save a bit of time I just hope they won't do away with my existing stock UI. I'll let you know!

Thanks Again hehehe

Gello Slow down just a tiny bit one second please. Where do I start learning about how to do this? I like you think it'd be simple as well but if you can point me in the direction a a begginers first step I'll have better luck. And FYI I have no coding skill or background, I'm just now mastering Mozilla Composer LOL.
Oh easy as in among the easiest first UIs to make. There's a bit of a learning curve. But if you're intent on learning that's a good goal for a first project.

This is a good tutorial on writing a UI-based mod:
http://wow.mmhell.com/articles/inter...rst_addon.html

But if you have no prior programming experience, you may want to experiment with addons that don't have a UI. This is a good tutorial for just starting out:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...&tmp=1#post173

Unfortunately (tho fortunately for the flexibility it allows), making AddOns does require programming. Even to alter some existing parts of mods require some.
08-03-05, 02:26 PM   #15
coloswift
A Murloc Raider
Okies I have news and amother question. lol I hope I don't upset ya'll for all these questions and posts. Dab works like a charm and gives me alot of things I wanted anyway! So that is done. I'll still try and learn to make my own tho, seems like a good challenge. Okies about that question. When make in a custom emote macro I wan't to do this. "Viv stomps her foot and points at %t" right after this macro fires in /s mode I want her to use the ! animation without emoting any text then I want her to use the point animation ((with or with out text not sure yet but if ! can be done I can decide later for point)) So is there a way to call animations in a macro script? if so is there a listing of the actual animation names? I'll need those to put in the macro. Maybe Mywowstudio can help me on the animation names... Anyhoo is this possible?

Thanks again for the fourth or fifth time.
08-03-05, 03:22 PM   #16
Gello
A Molten Giant
ChatFrame.lua has the list of emotes. To do the emote animation in a script you would do DoEmote("DANCE").

I'm not certain if the text is alterable for others to see. Since the built-in emotes are written differently depending if you're the source, destination or a bystander.

Non-standard emotes go through SendChatMessage(msg,"EMOTE")
Standard ones (/dance, /silly, etc) don't go through SendChatMessage

The emote text isn't even in GlobalStrings so I'm pretty convinced it can't be done easily if at all.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » I had a mod Idea and yep I have no skills to do it! GRRR!