02-26-13, 11:52 AM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
any graphic artists?

So.... as we move closer to carbonite2 (when 5.2 launches there will be an alert popping up that carbonite is entering retirement). Any graphically minded folks able to create a new logo?

02-26-13, 12:37 PM   #2
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What did you have in mind? Maybe some of can link a few here in this thread, vote on the ones you like (if its not a clear cut choice that is )

02-26-13, 01:33 PM   #3
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
that's the problem :P I don't really have any idea's in mind lol .... I liked the original graphic they used, and had thought of just sticking a big red 2 over it... but then thought i'd ask since there are a lot of very creative people around

02-26-13, 04:41 PM   #4
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What are the orginal gfx you are talking about? Post a screenshot please. I may be able to provide something. So you have sth to choose from.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

02-26-13, 05:34 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by zork View Post
What are the orginal gfx you are talking about? Post a screenshot please. I may be able to provide something. So you have sth to choose from.
The original carbonite shows on screen when you login

02-26-13, 05:49 PM   #6
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Ok we know design is free reign, how about size? Got any restraints? Same size, bigger, smaller, diffrent shape ?

02-28-13, 01:56 PM   #7
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Ok, I have an idea for a new splash. Only 1 thing I need to know first. Is there any rules stating we can or can't use the WoW maps for addon images? Azeroth as a whole for example.

Last edited by mjumnito : 02-28-13 at 01:57 PM. Reason: grammer is hard lol

02-28-13, 03:21 PM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
as far as I know, nope no rules forbidding that... as for my personal rules... nope none i'm really loving and enjoying seeing the idea's you guys come up with.

02-28-13, 04:11 PM   #9
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by mjumnito View Post
Ok, I have an idea for a new splash. Only 1 thing I need to know first. Is there any rules stating we can or can't use the WoW maps for addon images? Azeroth as a whole for example.
All Blizzard artwork is copyrighted and protected by federal law. Of course, if you get written permission from them to use it, that's a different story. Don't hold your breath... (grin). All original artwork by an artist is, by default, copyrighted automatically... unless it infringes noticeably on someone else's original artwork.

Reference: First owner of copyright
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrig...sion_dichotomy
The author of a work is the initial owner of the copyright in it, and may exploit the work himself or transfer some or all the rights conferred by the copyright to others.[26] The author generally is the person who conceives of the copyrightable expression and fixes it or causes it to be fixed in a tangible form.
The terms "expression" and "tangible form" (underlined above) would/may refer to the logo designs being discussed. Of course, any copyright may be transferred to another person, if required.

02-28-13, 03:39 PM   #10
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

One more question then, how long before you pick one. Only asking because I'm trying to get a rough idea how long i got to come up with more

02-28-13, 06:05 PM   #11
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by mjumnito View Post
One more question then, how long before you pick one. Only asking because I'm trying to get a rough idea how long i got to come up with more
A fair distance away still, The current alpha is coming along nicely with very few bugs left that I can think of, then i'll move onto the next stage of updating quests, which won't be an easy chore. After that will be the node system (and yes, i'm going to look into ditching carbonite.nodes and adding gather support), then notes system update which should go faster.... at that point i'll be ready for a general release even tho still a lot to do like updating the map guide / icons and adding localization.

Until it's ready for a general release i'll be keeping it as Carbonite just to keep and maintain the backwards compatability with the current live release if people need to switch back. If i have the cash i'm thinking i'll hold a contest and let everyone vote on the new logo, award a blizzstore pet or something to the creator and to one random person who votes.... been wanting to run some kinda contest for you users anyways as the total # of downloads inches closer and closer to the momentous 10 million mark, so it works to have a good reason to run it :P

Last edited by Rythal : 02-28-13 at 06:07 PM.

02-28-13, 06:21 PM   #12
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
thinking further on it, might try to get some folks to help pick 5 or 10 semi-finalists out of everything created and submitted until that point. If i can talk them into doing it :P

02-28-13, 08:52 PM   #13
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

OK, IMO, this is kinda rough. Having said that, the more I look at it I like it. But then again I made it so I'm some what bias . Tell me what y'all think of this one

I was trying to get the Map aspect and the recoding aspect to work together

02-28-13, 08:53 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's VERY difficult to read.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » any graphic artists?