06-22-15, 03:44 PM   #1
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Text to image

Hello,

Is there an addon (preferably for Combat Text) that can replace output numbers for images instead? I have a bitmap font for custom damage numbers but can't convert them to .ttf. My goal is, for instance, when the number "1" is output by the Combat Text addon to display the image of "1" from my bitmap font/png file. This would effectively replace all the damage numbers.

Is this even possible? Thanks!
06-23-15, 02:49 AM   #2
gempir
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I doubt that's possible with Blizzards Combat Text, you will need to use a different Combat Text Addon if anything.
06-23-15, 03:16 AM   #3
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Why can't you convert it to ttf?
06-23-15, 03:34 AM   #4
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I'm currently trying to learn how FontForge works (it makes no sense haha), but so far every other .fnt to .ttf file converter is throwing errors. I'm guessing it's because I only have the images for the numbers.
06-23-15, 03:39 AM   #5
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Politig View Post
I'm currently trying to learn how FontForge works (it makes no sense haha), but so far every other .fnt to .ttf file converter is throwing errors. I'm guessing it's because I only have the images for the numbers.
What font is it? If you have images I coud auto convert them to paths with Illustrator if this helps.
06-23-15, 03:48 AM   #6
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I don't exactly know what that means, but the thing is I found some numbers that I would like to use as a font for a Combat Text mod. However, it's JUST the numbers, not words (which should be okay for a DPS using a combat text mod). So, there's no glyphs for the characters. They're also colored already depending on the text (normal hits are yellow/orange, crits are red, heals are blue, and damage taken is purple). There is a special icon as well that I would like to be displayed on critical heals/damage. Here is the sheet I've been using:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ms damages.png
Views:	166
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	8593  
06-23-15, 04:08 AM   #7
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Well you can't make a ttf font colored or even gradient. But it shoud be possible for an addon like WeakAuras to display the pics instead of font as combat text. BUT its not possible to make it look like blizzard original combat text that shows up in the 3D world above the mobs.

Last edited by Tonyleila : 06-23-15 at 04:11 AM.
06-23-15, 04:19 AM   #8
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Ah, I didn't think so since no one has done anything like that yet. As far as WeakAuras is concerned, I'm worried that using it as a combat text mod might blow up my computer...
06-23-15, 01:13 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What you have to do is not use the combat text at all. Watch the combat log for how much damage, etc. was done and then display your textures for the amount on screen.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-23-15, 02:43 PM   #10
Politig
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
My issue is figuring out how to map the numbers 0-9 to numbers from reading the combat log (basically I have no idea how to do that). But I'm working on it so I'll come back when I get this! I personally haven't used WeakAuras before so I'm still learning what it can do and how it does things.
06-23-15, 09:12 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You'll actually have an easier time probably making an addon on your own for this.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Text to image