09-12-08, 10:55 AM   #21
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I completely agree with you on this Paladinpownage. One of the steadfast and hardcore rules of our guild is not using that term as a negative reference.

I myself am not, but i despise the thinking that its ok to use the term in that fashion. My usual first response is to say to new guild members that do so within 'earshot' (guild chat, groups, says, tells or anything else i can actually see) is,'I wasnt aware that such and such has a sexual preference' when that gets me blank looks i follow up with something along the lines of 'Using the word like that is likely to get you tossed from the guild as its rude and obnoxious to people that are, you wouldnt like it if people used (insert personal description here) to say something is negative, would you?'

If they think its funny and wont take it seriously they get tossed. Sadly this attitude is everywhere. While i cant police the whole world i try my best to correct people when ever i see it. I even do this in trade channel with complete strangers. You could say i have a 0 tolerance for ignorance and stupidity policy. =)

P.S. I only didnt type out the word since it will be filtered anyway. I like uncensored posts.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-12-08, 12:31 PM   #22
Soulsbane
A Murloc Raider
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but there's a famous Penny Arcade comic that goes like this:

Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total ****wad

Original Link to it

I've been on quests to kill a named mob and cleared all the mobs around the named only to have someone else swoop in and kill the named mob. I'll whisper them why didn't you offer to group? The common response is "why I don't need help to kill it?". That bugs the hell out of me to no end. This happened more when I was playing on alliance than it has on horde for whatever reason.
09-12-08, 10:35 PM   #23
paladinpownage
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
I completely agree with you on this Paladinpownage. One of the steadfast and hardcore rules of our guild is not using that term as a negative reference.

I myself am not, but i despise the thinking that its ok to use the term in that fashion. My usual first response is to say to new guild members that do so within 'earshot' (guild chat, groups, says, tells or anything else i can actually see) is,'I wasnt aware that such and such has a sexual preference' when that gets me blank looks i follow up with something along the lines of 'Using the word like that is likely to get you tossed from the guild as its rude and obnoxious to people that are, you wouldnt like it if people used (insert personal description here) to say something is negative, would you?'

If they think its funny and wont take it seriously they get tossed. Sadly this attitude is everywhere. While i cant police the whole world i try my best to correct people when ever i see it. I even do this in trade channel with complete strangers. You could say i have a 0 tolerance for ignorance and stupidity policy. =)

P.S. I only didnt type out the word since it will be filtered anyway. I like uncensored posts.
I think what's worst is when it's Blizzard itself that ends up doing something horribly distasteful. I remember playing a Dran shammy and ending up having to burn a wickerman for a quest and thinking, God, this is incredibly offensive to various religions! If they had a quest to crucify Illidian Stormrage and put a spear in his side I'm vaguely certain there'd be quite a number of people with pitchforks and torches, you know? It really is amazing, the ignorance that is everywhere... Even amongst the authority!
09-13-08, 12:19 AM   #24
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I think the burning of the wicker man during the Hallow's End festival would be more of a nod to the Burning Man festival celebrated in real life, not a ritual burning of a religious symbol reflected in the game...just my thought.
09-13-08, 03:12 PM   #25
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
A lot of people say "It's just a game" but forget that there are actual people on the other side of the screen. I get upset with that stuff too, and similarly am upset when people commit to a group or raid and don't show up, no explanation or apology. Sure real life is important, but so is consideration of other people and politeness. People being jerks gets them on my blacklist, regardless of how good a player the person is.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Nerd Rage