03-14-09, 10:28 AM   #1
gam35guru
A Defias Bandit
Unhappy PLAYER_TARGET_CHANGED need help

Hey guys,

You're prolly all gonna see me crying my butt off in the forums over the next couple of weeks/month since I made a very silly decision to make a wow addon for my final year project of my degree =S

First off I've followed the tutorials, learnt about registering events etc, but the problem Im having with the PLAYER_TARGET_CHANGED event is this:

I want to detect when targetchanges and then update the name of the new target, however when there is NO target, I get a "attempted to concatenate a nil value" error as there targets name doesnt exist cos I DONT GOTTA TARGET =S

D'oH!

Now I know what I must do, check to see if the player currently has a target, if I do **Do SOMETHING HERE** .... but if I don't.... end...... trouble is, I dont know hwo to determine that.

Im having a real pain in the ass trying to find a little tutorial on variable creation/management and variable types..... I don't know what the valid types are for when it comes to creating variables for my addon.

I would need a variable to detect currentTarget and LastTarget so I could update them and when the PLAYER_TARGET_CHANGED event is detected, I would check if currentTarget == nil, then just dont process it.

It's really got me stumped guys and Im only at the first hurdle.... please can anyone help?

Muchos Love
gam35guru
03-14-09, 11:20 AM   #2
gam35guru
A Defias Bandit
Lightbulb Fixed it!

Something so bloody simple ... but I didnt know what I had to check against.... this is how I solved it for anyone who gets stuck like I did....

if ( UnitName("target") == nil ) then
FontString2:SetText( "<< No Target Guvner >>" );
else
FontString2:SetText( "Target: " .. UnitName("target") .. "!" );
end

Id still like a response with regards to the variable types that can be used in wow addon creation.... or is it all just one global variable type.... for example, no difference between a variable that holds a string or an int, or a float....

Thanks Guys
gam35guru

PS. Persistence pays off ^^

Also, if any addon guru would like to make a few pounds/euros/dollars (whatever ur currency) assisting with creation/debugging of my ickle project, I'll be happy to throw some cash your way for some navigation in the right direction with whatever I get stuck with! <3 <3 <3

Leave your response here, I'll check back and send personal messages with contact info. Only people with strong english spoken need respond.... I dont speak any other language unfortunately =S
03-14-09, 11:25 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
http://www.lua.org/pil/
http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory
http://www.wowwiki.com/Main_Page
http://www.wowprogramming.com/
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-14-09, 04:59 PM   #4
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I won't go into detail about types and such, as the links Seerah gave will tell you all you need to know.

As to your code - there's a more concise way of going about it which is also a bit more efficient, since you're not calling UnitName() twice:

Code:
local unit_name = UnitName("target") or "None"

FontString2:SetText( "Target: "..unit_name.."!" );

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
03-14-09, 09:49 PM   #5
Soulsbane
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can also use UnitExists("target") to check if you have a target selected since that event your using also fires when you deselect a unit.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » PLAYER_TARGET_CHANGED need help