07-23-10, 07:48 AM   #621
Hamstah
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
There may be no legitimate way to get the beta client but I can confirm that if you find a copy of the installer it works on Windows Vista just fine.
I'd be very VERY cautious about where you get a downloader from - if it isn't from blizzard's official servers, there's a good chance it may contain keyloggers which may not even be caught by virus protection.

Better to just wait for the keys to start working.
07-23-10, 07:58 AM   #622
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
I think it is a Windows "feature" to report all folders to be write protected and you can't change it (on the folder itself and subfolders, file permissions get updated fine) and for some reason launcher wants to check it.
Not sure what is causing it really. I have tried all possibilities to fix it.

When I r-click the beta folder the read only option is filled blue meaning it's contents contain both protected and unprotected files. Unchecking and applying has no effect. I even went the old DOS method from the cmd window using "attrib -r" with no effect. Attrib says all files are not protected.

Doesn't really matter as I got it to update regardless.
07-23-10, 08:00 AM   #623
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Hamstah-Emeriss View Post
I'd be very VERY cautious about where you get a downloader from - if it isn't from blizzard's official servers, there's a good chance it may contain keyloggers which may not even be caught by virus protection.

Better to just wait for the keys to start working.
Definatally a good concern to have. With the popularity of the beta there is a good chance for this to happen. I got mine from a trusted source though so I know I'm ok. A friend already in the beta
07-23-10, 08:01 AM   #624
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Just had a thought....

since all of the team that works on making wow are in the US, are all beta users able to post in the US beta forums or are us EU players stuck out in the cold as always, unable to converse directly with the design team?

If you look at the cata forum on wow-europe, there are no blue posts apart from the stickies. I would be very dissapointed if I was unable to take part in the process properly just because of where I live ;p
Life is like oral sex.... far too short but damn fun while it lasts!
-----------------------
520p 500kbps Beta Stream: http://livestream.com/emywowbeta with 24/7 VOD when not streaming live
07-23-10, 08:01 AM   #625
dragonflyy
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Not sure what is causing it really. I have tried all possibilities to fix it.

When I r-click the beta folder the read only option is filled blue meaning it's contents contain both protected and unprotected files. Unchecking and applying has no effect. I even went the old DOS method from the cmd window using "attrib -r" with no effect. Attrib says all files are not protected.

Doesn't really matter as I got it to update regardless.
The files that are read only are just a couple of files that are achives. Right click, choose security. Click Add ... then type in Everyone into the object names dialog. Click okay, then select Allow next to Full Control (if you don't want to add everyone then try just adding Windows login name).
07-23-10, 08:05 AM   #626
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Emythrel View Post
Just had a thought....

since all of the team that works on making wow are in the US, are all beta users able to post in the US beta forums or are us EU players stuck out in the cold as always, unable to converse directly with the design team?

If you look at the cata forum on wow-europe, there are no blue posts apart from the stickies. I would be very dissapointed if I was unable to take part in the process properly just because of where I live ;p
Go to forums.worldofwarcraft.com, there you will see the beta forums (even the non-english speaking part of EU has their own forums), and English EU participants can chat there with the US participants in the forum tagged as "English"
07-23-10, 08:06 AM   #627
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just had a thought....

The US beta forums double as EU/US for people that can speak English.
07-23-10, 08:08 AM   #628
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by omergurlek View Post
Go to forums.worldofwarcraft.com, there you will see the beta forums (even the non-english speaking part of EU has their own forums), and English EU participants can chat there with the US participants in the forum tagged as "English"
i was hoping this was the case, i might finally get to chat with GC ;p
-----------------------
520p 500kbps Beta Stream: http://livestream.com/emywowbeta with 24/7 VOD when not streaming live
07-23-10, 08:09 AM   #629
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

i was hoping this was the case, i might finally get to chat with GC ;p
Tell him I WANT MY PONY!

or just my beta key to work...
07-23-10, 08:14 AM   #630
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Kaidian View Post
Tell him I WANT MY PONY!

or just my beta key to work...
I am currently in negotiations with a crack squad of ninja's to have GC kidnapped until our keys work. Unfortunately the ninja's don't speak english so negotiations are going slowly
-----------------------
07-23-10, 08:21 AM   #631
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Cairenn, I dont suppose you have had an update from the folks at Blizz? Even just a note to say they are sorry? ;p
-----------------------
07-23-10, 08:26 AM   #632
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
She did say the debugging could take hours, days, weeks, months, years, centuries, or millennia.
07-23-10, 08:29 AM   #633
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Icecoldcoke View Post
She did say the debugging could take hours, days, weeks, months, years, or centuries.
I understand that it can be a very tricky process (i am a web designer myself, albeit not at blizz's coders level), just wondered if they were keeping Cairenn in the loop even if it is just a note to say "we haven't figured it out yet" ;p
-----------------------
07-23-10, 08:38 AM   #634
Nexuapex
A Fallenroot Satyr
I know we're all antsy, but Cairenn will tell us if she gets any more information. Hold your horses.

See also: my signature, from last time around.
07-23-10, 08:39 AM   #635
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
If sure once Cairenn gets ANY info we will all know. She has always been great at getting things done around here and has always been prompt at getting info to us when she gets it.

Everyone needs to chill and stop asking if there is anything to report. Sheesh
07-23-10, 08:39 AM   #636
Mickelus
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Icecoldcoke View Post
She did say the debugging could take hours, days, weeks, months, years, centuries, or millennia.
In other words, debugging will be done soon™
07-23-10, 08:41 AM   #637
Rumil_Dunemaul
A Fallenroot Satyr

I'm sure we'll know as soon as Cairenn hears something.
07-23-10, 08:56 AM   #638
Drazisil
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I understand that it can be a very tricky process (i am a web designer myself, albeit not at blizz's coders level), ...
Don't sell yourself short if you are good, just remember that websites aren't that complicated. In all reality it's probably a very fast fix, they either have very poorly documented web code, or they just have things that Blizzard management has placed higher on the list.

As a random example...maybe the new battlenet site has billing issues. Something with money would certainly rank higher than the beta keys not working.

Ok, time to eat, I'm thinking too much.
07-23-10, 09:01 AM   #639
leethal
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Drazisil View Post
As a random example...maybe the new battlenet site has billing issues. Something with money would certainly rank higher than the beta keys not working.
Good thinking. That sounds very plausible.
07-23-10, 09:17 AM   #640
Dralmoo
A Murloc Raider
Even if the fix is simple, you have to realize this is one of the most critical pieces of code for their business - it's the code that decides if you own a game or not. I'm sure even if there is a fix done internally, it has to go through a lot of regression testing, and then who knows what their process is to push code live.

Plus SC2 is coming out next week, if I were blizzard I'd be wary of changing anything to do with their auth code.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!