07-27-08, 01:59 AM   #1
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No Slash Commands?

OK, forgive me this one small rant... <rant>

Most mods come with some sort of GUI configuration screen. I waded through all the XML and stuff before I learned what Ace actually was, and it took some effort, but was not exceptionally grueling, once I'd gone through Fara's Frames tutorial. Some go to the extreme, like Norganna's addons (Gatherer, Auctioneer etc.) to make their own GUI config library. Some just use Ace itself with Waterfall, or DewDrop, or Rock, or whatever, and it works just fine. Some just let the Ace libraries handle slash commands. All of these are great ways to handle configuration needs for your mod!

Until recently, I thought it was a little annoying when some mods could really use a good intuitive GUI to help you navigate all the different modules and functions of an addon, but all they have are slash commands. At least they're still configurable. I really approve of little mods (e.g., LevelSnap) using nothing but slash commands though, because you'll only ever need to set those options once.

So what's up with all the mods that have come out since the beta key giveaway announcement that do one small thing (and several of them do it well) that HAVE NO CONFIGURATION INTERFACE? I can't believe how many of the new addon descriptions I've seen that say "If this value doesn't suit you, just go into the Lua file and..."

Taking for granted that I'm perfectly comfortable doing that, I still have 283 folders in my Addons directory (including mods and libraries). Do you know how much time making one small change and /rl takes me? Most people, on the other hand, will just stop reading as soon as they see the word Lua.

Seriously, I think it's great how many people have done their very best to learn an obviously foreign and intimidating language like Lua, XML, and the WoW API just for an early peek into WotLK. I bet some of them would quite seriously rather pay $100 than make a mod for it. But assuming you've had to wade through Ace and WoWWiki tutorials, and the WoW Programming books, ... did you miss the parts teaching you how to implement a slash command? Were they too hard? Are we that lazy?

If you're curious, the one that finally tipped the scales for me was Entitled.

</rant> Thank you, I feel much better now.

Last edited by Jzar : 07-27-08 at 01:57 PM.
07-27-08, 04:02 AM   #2
Slakah
A Molten Giant

People can do what they like with their mods. Although I do agree with you about implementing a GUI where required, I think one of the main problems is this strange myth that people believe that Config menu's will cause their memory usage to soar through the roof. If people are afraid of bloat then they should just make their options LOD.

Last edited by Slakah : 08-01-08 at 04:34 AM.
07-27-08, 04:39 AM   #3
Asur
A Murloc Raider
If it makes you feel any better I fully intend to make some basic slash commands for my mods, if nothing else at least to move and scale them.

Also, I do think I missed the slash command tutorial, where'd you find that?
07-27-08, 05:01 AM   #4
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
guys doing addons like this with no slash commands are just beta submitters, no efforts, no creativity, too lazy to understand what they are writing about, shame on them, I hope they won't get a beta spot. But it doesn't sound like Curse is yet, beeing rapped of Guild ui repacks, packs without 1% of contribution, packs designed just for one specific guild, submitters stealing credits of mod authors, this is really annoying.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 07-27-08 at 05:03 AM.
07-27-08, 01:42 PM   #5
Recluse
A Cliff Giant

While I do agree that it would sacrifice bloat in favor of being more user friendly, and thus is a tradeoff... There are many addons which I have made for personal use (that I don't upload anywhere), and these addons have no configuration at all: I just modify my code to suit my tastes. If I wanted to have a shot at the contest, I might upload such an addon from my personal collection (I already have a public addon, so I'm not going to bother releasing my private works, myself).

Without knowing to what extent these addons are requiring source edits, it could be that there are things which can be changed, but don't need it. It is up to the author of each addon to decide what options, if any, should be exposed for the end-user to edit as they like. Perhaps some of these addons aren't meant to have their options changed, but as you mentioned the descriptions give details of how to change it, this may not be the case.

Personally, I don't mind going in and changing the code manually. Quite a few of my addons which come from other authors are heavily modified on my end to behave the way I like, use less resources by removing unused features, as well as fit better into my UI. I seem to always get an addon downloaded and try it out only to think, "This is -close- to what I want, but not quite..." Not having options would fall into this category for me, I think.

There's also the question of if the addon(s) you're referring to are using SavedVariables at all. If not, then that could be the issue, as it requires quite a bit more work (relative to having the variables hard-coded) to implement the storage and retrieval of the feature. This doesn't excuse the lack of effort, but without learning/implementing more advanced code, the process from design to release is shortened considerably.

In short, if I like an addon enough to use it personally, I'll be renovating the sourcecode anyway, so I don't personally share your complaint, but I can see where your dissatisfaction stems from.
07-27-08, 01:51 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
My minimap addon (PocketPlot) does not have any options. Why? Because I wrote it for myself, and decided to share it with others who may like to use it as well. I have detailed comments in the lua file on what does what and encourage people to look there if they need to change anything or ask me if they need help.

Most authors write their addons for themselves and decide to share. If my minimap addon doesn't suit someone, they have about 20 other minimap addon options to choose from. Some of those don't have configs or slash commands either.

Some addons are built to do something, do it well, and not need to be fiddled with - drop and go, if you will. If it doesn't suit you, then you can either find an alternative addon or modify the original to suit your needs.

Adding options to an addon is up to its author. If they don't feel it's necessary, then they probably won't add them. If they code for their userbase instead of themselves (which, again, many authors only code for themselves so that they don't get burnt out or overrun with feature requests/bloat) then they will add options. Or if it's a function that very may well need to change from user to user, etc, then there will be options for it. If it's something that the author themselves would want in-game options for, then there will be options for it.

Some authors push out an addon for testing before taking suggestions or implementing config. That's a standard practice in the coding world - features before config.

Not having a config for an addon (or any software) has been around since wow was first released. It doesn't mean that the author was lazy or stupid.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-27-08, 01:53 PM   #7
Slakah
A Molten Giant

There's also the question of if the addon(s) you're referring to are using SavedVariables at all. If not, then that could be the issue, as it requires quite a bit more work (relative to having the variables hard-coded) to implement the storage and retrieval of the feature. This doesn't excuse the lack of effort, but without learning/implementing more advanced code, the process from design to release is shortened considerably.
SavedVariables are not complex

Code:
local f, db = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterEvent("ADDON_LOADED")

local default = {
	--defaults here
}
local function OnEnable(self)
	MyAddonDB = MyAddonDB or default
	db = MyAddonDB
	self:UnregisterAllEvents()
	self:SetScript("OnEvent", nil)
end

f:SetScript("OnEvent", OnEnable)
done.
While I do agree that it would sacrifice bloat in favor of being more user friendly, and thus is a tradeoff.
Again configs can be made LOD etc.

Although I do agree with you that its up to the author and they can do whatever the hell they like.
07-27-08, 01:54 PM   #8
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Asur View Post
If it makes you feel any better I fully intend to make some basic slash commands for my mods, if nothing else at least to move and scale them.

Also, I do think I missed the slash command tutorial, where'd you find that?
http://www.wowwiki.com/Creating_a_slash_command

http://www.wowwiki.com/Saving_variab..._game_sessions
07-27-08, 02:44 PM   #9
Recluse
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
SavedVariables are not complex
{...code...}
Well, no - not complex at all. I meant it more as that there is more work involved in it than simply doing
Code:
MyAddon.ConfigVar1 = foo
MyAddon.ConfigVar2 = bar
Also, the code you have there simply enabled saving/loading the variables. There's more to it than just this code, including numerous functions or switches inside a single function to handle each of the various slash commands which edit the settings, and the possibility of profile management functions, if you get spiffy with your settings.

It's all overwhelming to many entry-level addon developers, honestly. And for those addons developed as a personal project, often unnecessary. But yes, I would think that competent developers who chose to go completely public with a project might want to make it easy enough for the average joe to configure while in-game, but completely up to them.
07-27-08, 04:08 PM   #10
Asur
A Murloc Raider
Thank you. I shall bookmark those for future use after I get done ticking off my features and bug list. Before I get to slash commands I have another optionless mod planned though
07-28-08, 02:08 AM   #11
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Let me just clarify a little bit: There are some mods that are optionless because there really is nothing to configure. I think that's great. There're some mods (like Entitled that I linked earlier) that do have a small ammount of things to configure. They're set up so that it's easy, defined in a single location all at the top of the Lua file.

You can make slash commands complex, but in this case, all it would take would be to add in a couple saved variables, the basic code to add a slash command handler, and 2 lines for each option in the handler function. One for "if cmd == 'interval'" (or w/e) and one for "intrvl = newValue". It can be ridiculously simple, and I am just ... trying to express my wish that such a minimalistic measure be taken if you do have just a few configurable options in your mod.

Asur, I hope I have ... raised your awareness a little and encouraged you to implement these few steps in future works, rather than make you feel bad. Kudos to you for being an addon author at all!
07-28-08, 05:22 AM   #12
Asur
A Murloc Raider
Oh I had every intention of making some commands for most of my mods before you posted (just didn't write it in the description of every mod) so I don't feel bad . My post was mostly for the tutorial thing.

My main focus is completing the features for my warrior (and rogue/deathknight eventually) HUD before I consider options for people that want to tweak what was my original intention with the mod. I was more hoping for some feedback when I uploaded the mods before they were feature complete. At least one person found the mods useful or liked the concept since they were all favorited once .

Now go make a post on how to optimise code so noobs like me don't write code that uses way too much cpu time compared to what they do. My buff mod was rocketing away yesterday until I fixed at least one stupid thing <insert black eye smiley here>.
07-28-08, 06:35 AM   #13
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant

Well, while I did post my addon (PortalBox) partially for the beta key, it wasn't started solely for that purpose (like many that are being posted are). I started it two or three months ago as something as a personal project that I planned to release once I had it working for both factions.

I don't really have any config options at the moment (unless you count the minimap button position) since it's not really required at the moment, but once PortalBox becomes more advanced and has features like rune alerts and slash portal commands, I'll add in a config panel. Unlike most addons, however, it will use the Blizzard addon configuration window that was added in 2.3, as I find it rather bloaty to use something like Rock when a perfectly good config panel area is already in game.
07-28-08, 06:44 AM   #14
Nuchaleft
A Fallenroot Satyr

I do plan on adding a configuration panel for my Battlecry generator, as some of the battlecries are faction-specific, its on the TO-DO list and is coming as soon as I've learnt a bit more Lua and stuff.

There's already the option to "Yell" one, or not, depending on what slash command you use or what button you press
07-28-08, 03:37 PM   #15
CKaz
A Murloc Raider
Well people are coming from a wide-range so what can you do?

I've coded for a living for a long time now, so if/when I do submit, yeah it'll have a lot of UI polish and ease of use - when the target isn't to be the add-on community, but the WoW user community. Obviously some mods are for mod authors to build on, or very simplistic, those simply may not require them.

As for who's doing what why, some might see when I joined the group and cry foul, I'm going for the key... /shrug, I have no product yet. I'm impressed at the community offering, I think that's great for many of you, but for me WoWWiki had a link, I didn't know about this site, and so far so good. I'm a little burnt out from the WoW grind so I either do more with WoW or move on - this seemed like a good move

Coming from .Net, seeing AddOn studio near 2.0, the time seems ripe to dig in. Only if/when I get somewhere useful though, will I be submitting.
07-28-08, 04:01 PM   #16
Asu
A Murloc Raider
Really there's no reason not to have at least slash command based config, seeing how easy it is to add. But it's one more thing the author would have to go learn about writing wow addons and it does what they want... =p

If it were an addon I really liked I'd probably submit a patch back with config, but then, I don't think I've ever seriously considered downloading an addon that suggested I edit it or its saved variables by hand.
07-28-08, 05:03 PM   #17
funkydude
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
People can do what they like with their mods. Although I do agree with you about implementing a GUI where required, I think one of the main problems is this strange myth that "Config is omgbloat." (Quoted from funkdude). If people are afraid of bloat then they should just make their options LOD.
I was being sarcastic, your post doesn't quite broadcast that.
07-29-08, 02:33 AM   #18
Soulsbane
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
My minimap addon (PocketPlot) does not have any options. Why? Because I wrote it for myself, and decided to share it with others who may like to use it as well.
Most authors write their addons for themselves and decide to share.

Some addons are built to do something, do it well, and not need to be fiddled with - drop and go, if you will. If it doesn't suit you, then you can either find an alternative addon or modify the original to suit your needs.
Seerah brings up some really great points. I've written close to 10 addons but only released one so far. Why? To test the waters really. The one that I've released was simple. I plan to release some of my more complex addons that use configs but that's weeks away.

Again, like Seerah, I write them for ME. I get paid to program device drivers(and other fun stuff ) and do wow addons in my SPARE time. Which is little to none at times.
08-01-08, 03:35 AM   #19
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Some authors push out an addon for testing before taking suggestions or implementing config. That's a standard practice in the coding world - features before config.
Exactly! I wrote Arena Announcer for me and my arena team. I didn't even know if people would like my addon that much that it was worth putting more work in it than was absolutely necessary for my own purpose. That's why there were no options (not even slash commands) and, for now, the database is still static.

As soon as I put it up here and got the first reactions I was pleasantly surprised: people actually cared! That's why I released two new builds in just two days and tried really hard to get an acceptable config menu going.

I get what the OP means, though. "Usability" is part of what makes a great addon.
08-01-08, 04:32 AM   #20
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
I was being sarcastic, your post doesn't quite broadcast that.
Yeh your right, it does seem as though I've taken it out of context I'll edit it accordingly.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » No Slash Commands?