A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Latest WIP:
ooc/casting:
http://www.abload.de/img/enb2010_6_21_16_30_44380d.png

combat:
http://www.abload.de/img/enb2010_6_21_16_43_29nmel.png

Main points:
-Clean and minimal, just showing the information I need for my tanking.
-1 actionbar row for "important" long-time cooldowns. Short cooldowns are done with ncCooldown (as seen in the picture)
-Buffs/procs I need to know show under my UF (as seen in the screen)
-Minimap, buffs, party, raidframes fade out in combat to a certain opacity level. Out of combat they fade back in.
-TinyDPS fades out out of combat and fades in when in combat ..

Small things like that. Raid picture with boss timers etc are for later. As said it's all still a WIP so things might and will most probably still change a tad.

06-21-10, 11:17 AM   #2642
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
Led -snip-
Not that I don't like it, but isn't it a bit too generic for you? It doesn't really have that 'ZOMG' quality many of your previous UIs had.

Yes, I like to use ZOMG at times as it most accurately transmits a feeling of "that's so amazing but at the same time kind of crazy but I still like it". I don't really care what you think of the word or how you judge my mental capacity when I'm using it.

06-21-10, 11:26 AM   #2643
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by haylie View Post
Not that I don't like it, but isn't it a bit too generic for you? It doesn't really have that 'ZOMG' quality many of your previous UIs had.

Yes, I like to use ZOMG at times as it most accurately transmits a feeling of "that's so amazing but at the same time kind of crazy but I still like it". I don't really care what you think of the word or how you judge my mental capacity when I'm using it.
Jup it certainly misses some OOMPH, but I don't. The UF layout I used for so long has become so standard I'm almost getting sick of it. Sometimes a man needs a bit of change to keep it interesting you know.

Treelet has one of the very few UI's I actually like (clean and functional) so this one is loosely based upon it.

06-21-10, 01:06 PM   #2644
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Led, what or how are you making the names lower case? In the begginning of peoples names? I also see your using TinyDPS, I love that addon.

06-21-10, 01:22 PM   #2645
pHishr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
Jup it certainly misses some OOMPH, but I don't.
What does OOMPH mean? Is it the sound you make when you see the UI...?

06-21-10, 01:37 PM   #2646
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
I also see your using TinyDPS, I love that addon.
I've been meaning of switching over to tiny DPS from Recount, but I'm still unsure about how it compares to recount's DPS. Is it accurate?

And since everyone's posting WIPs:

Happy fire festival!

06-21-10, 01:43 PM   #2647
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by pHishr View Post
What does OOMPH mean?

Along with this meaning, its also the sound one makes when they fall down hehe.

06-21-10, 02:36 PM   #2648
Kendian
A Molten Giant

[quote=haylie;193059]I've been meaning of switching over to tiny DPS from Recount, but I'm still unsure about how it compares to recount's DPS. Is it accurate?
I've tested it against both Skada and Recount, and it's come up accurate everytime, 5man/10man/25man~

06-21-10, 02:51 PM   #2649
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I'll shutup.

Well, let's see. MidgetMage, I would say that your layout is quite nice and the whole vertical group members thing works pretty well. However, I'm not sure why, but it all seems a bit crazy at the bottom. To begin with, I'd say use a bit less grey here and there, where it could be replaced with something else, for example using class colours on your damage meter. Also I would say try taking off the extra bits and bobs like gloss, the spark effects, etc. They seem to add a bit too much 'ZOMG' () to the bottom of the screen. Other than that, the placing of your various elements like that minimap and the different spell timers seems to be pretty good. Except the tooltip, though. >.<

Leitka, I think I can finally specify my main issue with your current UI style - it's to do with the borders. If you look at that screenshot, for example, things get a little eye-bleeding between the unit frames, since there's only a one pixel gap between them. A possible solution? Try spacing your frames out more. That'd be what I'd try straight away. Of course, you can always try not using that kind of border at all, but I personally kinda like it. Other than that, not much more I can say about the UI, really. It looks great!

Led, I actually really like this one - it's clean and to-the-point. The colours are nice and bright as usual which is always a good thing to see in a UI with flat, simple frames. It might just be me, but I think those auras in the bottom right corner might be a bit too faded and I think you shouldn't fade the minimap in combat, as it makes that area of the screen seem a little more empty. Other than that, good stuff - I think the lack of 'ZOMG/OOMPH' might not be a terrible thing, because at the end of the day, you don't want to really notice your UI that much.

Haylie, I'm liking the whole faded-grey-boxes theme as it makes certain elements just stand out that little bit more. Although I think you should at least make the pet bar completely hidden on mouse-out/out of combat, 'cause there doesn't seem to be much point in having it at all when it's that faded. I'd be tempted to fade the action bars out of combat too, but that's more a personal thing. Might be nice to reduce the chat frame size to allow a couple more lines, too. Also, please upload a combat screenshot so we can see your unit frames!

All these screenshots make me want to start my own WIP... Might do that... Had a couple ideas.

Edit: I second Ferous' question, although I have a nasty feeling it's just a special font (Fontain, anyone?) which doesn't have any capital letters.
Edit again: Haylie, shutup about that STUPID midsummer festival. It took me three hours to catch the torches four times in a row. Okay, so I exaggerated. Also, we need to get some negative font sizes in the forums for use, this size just doesn't have the same impact as a much smaller one would have. :<
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa

Last edited by Wella : 06-21-10 at 02:55 PM.

06-21-10, 03:12 PM   #2650
blkdrgn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Got my raid frames laid out today...getting there. =)

06-21-10, 03:18 PM   #2651
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
As you may or may not know my widescreen went out so I'm back to ole' regular screen... >.>

SHowing setup with bloom

below are all taken from my screenshot folder, they are unable to show my bloom effects, and I just lazy uploaded them >.>

edit - I already raided this week, so will have to wait till I raid next week for raid shots :P

06-21-10, 03:45 PM   #2652
Epiphany17
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
As you may or may not know my widescreen went out so I'm back to ole' regular screen... >.>

I feel your pain.

Also, love it <3 Will definitely have to try the bloom mod out sometime.

06-21-10, 05:23 PM   #2653
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Wella View Post
Wella -snip-
Like with any idea that seems good, it's not actually mine. Ninja'd from an older version of Tapestry's UI. Agreed about the pet bar. Action bars and chat are fine. As for the unit frames, you can sort of see them if you squint hard enough. Though they need more work cause I'm not 100% happy with them so far (just tested them in a raid). I might add buffs and raid frames back in.

And Midsummer ROCKS.

06-21-10, 09:09 PM   #2654
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Wella View Post
I'll shutup.

Well, let's see. MidgetMage, I would say that your layout is quite nice and the whole vertical group members thing works pretty well. However, I'm not sure why, but it all seems a bit crazy at the bottom. To begin with, I'd say use a bit less grey here and there, where it could be replaced with something else, for example using class colours on your damage meter. Also I would say try taking off the extra bits and bobs like gloss, the spark effects, etc. They seem to add a bit too much 'ZOMG' () to the bottom of the screen. Other than that, the placing of your various elements like that minimap and the different spell timers seems to be pretty good. Except the tooltip, though. >.<
Thanks for the feedback. I agree totally on the tool tip. It was the only place that didn't completely suck at the time but i find myself with a desire to move it more and more often. Might try using a mouse anchored one. I also hadn't thought about the spark on casting. I'll give it a go and see how it pans out.

As for the gray and gloss that choice was very intentional. Currently there seems to be a common trend for color/class color and vibrant but relatively flat texture. So i figured I would go the opposite. Grey (but not too dark) with a gloss to add a little depth. I might toy with class colored text however to see how that flies.

I'll post some updated pics when i get the chance.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

06-22-10, 02:44 AM   #2655
excitor
A Murloc Raider

My UI Feedback Please

Any feedback would be nice.

06-22-10, 03:07 AM   #2656
pHishr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by excitor View Post

Any feedback would be nice.
Swap out X-Perl and LiteStep. Please? =)

And the gloss is waaaaaaay to high, it looks really bad. =(

But too be honest I don't think the layout is bad. It's just the choice of AddOns and skins that make me go 'Eww'.

06-22-10, 04:19 AM   #2657
Wella

I agree with pHishr, the layout here seems pretty good as things fit nicely with each other. However, you should make better use of that huge resolution and just generally make things smaller. Also, yes, please at least remove all the gloss and LiteStep rape.
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-22-10, 05:45 AM   #2658
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Conceptual screenshot:

Especially looking for feedback/ideas for the unit frames. From top to bottom: ToT, target, player, pet and the text inside the pet frame is my focus. You can clearly see who I've taken inspiration from

What I like about them:
.they match the rest of the UI

What I don't like about them:
.compared to the ones I was using before, they seem less functional and intuitive (though that might be because I'm not used to them)

06-22-10, 06:03 AM   #2659
Wella

Decrease the padding a pixel, space them out a bit more and make the powers bars a bit bigger. I think those things would make the unit frames more polished, but they look really cool at the moment, anyway!
* Recount - Derp

- popmissa

06-22-10, 06:42 AM   #2660
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

Slight update

party combat:
http://www.abload.de/img/enb2010_6_22_12_21_9gkhq.png

boss timers:
http://www.abload.de/img/enb2010_6_22_12_34_32k8ff.png

Stil WIP, Kong doesn't seem to like Stuf atm so still have to find a way to fade out party/raid frames.
Minimap now fades out in combat and DPS gets shown.
Threatmeter showing 3 people (me, MT and first person in aggro after us)
Target buffs/debuffs changed, now only showing my debuffs (max of 6) and shows buffs (max 4) right next to it. Also made for easy boss battles.

Still finding a better place for the Boss timers on the vety left side.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...