Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
06-10-23, 11:51 PM   #1
cheesewiz
A Fallenroot Satyr
Seeking Input from Addon Developers Regarding Permanent Ban for API Usage

There was a tool developed by two developers from the API Discord community that is relevant to WoW addons and Python API calls. The tool, which can be found at https://web.archive.org/web/20220317...inStockAlerts/ , receives hourly updates from the API. It filters out items based on their price, as specified in the Python script, and sends this filtered data to the addon file. Once the addon is updated, you can perform a "/reload" command in the game, enabling the addon to search for the specified items in the game world. It's important to note that this tool relies on the API updates and does not have the ability to actively search for items like an in-game sniper.

However, addon snipers have significantly diminished the utility of this program, rendering it almost useless. The primary advantage it offers is the ability to track items that are not available on the user's current server.

Unfortunately, Blizzard has banned me for using this program, categorizing it as a bot. Although there are other individuals who are employing a similar approach with the API and are currently running their programs without facing consequences, it is likely that they will eventually be banned as well since there isn't much difference between our programs.

The question at hand is whether this program can be considered a bot. It's important to note that it solely updates addon data and does not interact with the game in any way. The accompanying addon adheres to Blizzard's rules for addons, and none of its functions are automated. I am perplexed as to why I have been specifically targeted for using this program and why it has been labeled as a bot in the first place.

I can't convince support that I'm not cheating and they've banned all 8 of my WoW licenses. They were attached to one Bnet and were being used as Sniper alts. I play the game, but I also like to scan the auction house with Blizzard-approved Sniping addons. While I may have had 8 games running at once, I have no form of automation software or Multiboxing tools installed nor have I ever employed any. I only started running multiple licenses earlier this year when I realized my pc could handle it. AH alts are *very* off hands and only require an input to purchase items with the Sniper addon I use. This python script is the only thing that could have caused my ban.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Seeking Input from Addon Developers Regarding Permanent Ban for API Usage