06-11-11, 01:35 PM   #1
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Orb Animations (DiscoKugel)

I came back to the orb animation topic.

One of my first version of Roth UI used *.m2 files for the orb animation. Blizzard removed them later somehow...but they returned with Cataclysm.

So my plan is to bring orb animaton back into Roth UI. I already made some experiments (The testmod is called DiscoKugel: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...animation.html).

It allows me to add models into the orb and change it's position/scale until it fits. After that I can write down the model values for later.

So what I was looking for is any kind of fog/portal animation that could fit into an orb environment.

Result:

Picture doesn't tell anything. The animations move constantly and emit particles. Some of them look ****ing awesome.

Once added back in Roth UI will have it's cool back.

The orbs are actually from ingame screenshots! No kidding.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 06-11-11 at 01:54 PM.
06-11-11, 01:50 PM   #2
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

That sounds fascinating. Would you be interested in making a demo / show and tell video?

"The truth is like sunlight: people used to think it was good for you."

Last edited by Moxie : 06-11-11 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Interested. Not intereste.
06-11-11, 02:14 PM   #3
feraldrood
A Theradrim Guardian

Wow Zork- im excited about this )

trying to keep to topic, my feedback entails a question:

is it possible to have animations in a bar? as opposed to an orb? ie.. spartanui http://spartanui.com/

haleth, I love the readability of the new font, yet it seems to wide for the geometry of the other elements in the ui. (why i'm sure u love the hooge series due to their very square shape)

here's what I'm playing on right now, chat now is outlined, and bg panel hides when clicked

http://postimage.org/image/e1d1aaro/

feedback appreciated *edit* cant spell appreciate properly :3

Last edited by Seerah : 06-11-11 at 05:30 PM. Reason: (these 3 posts moved out of UI Feedback thread)
06-11-11, 06:11 PM   #4
nelothi
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
How would i move the frames level up? i want it to overlap my current unit frames.
06-12-11, 05:45 AM   #5
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
That looks epic. Especially the globe of Azeroth is cool, I can imagine it fitting into some arty-style UI.
06-17-11, 04:01 AM   #6
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The mod is only for testing purposes.

First...find an animation that may fit into a circular environment. (Did this search with my modelviewer)
Second load that animation into this testmod and adjust the values until they fit. Once done write down the values found in the tooltip.
Third create the final addon with the animation and use the values you wrote down.
Result can be: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...UF_Diablo.html

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
06-17-11, 04:45 AM   #7
Vlad
A Molten Giant

"Roth UI used *.m2 files for the orb animation"

Just curious, do you mean there were m2 files for the orbs (so you get a nice gloss effect applied by the 3D world of some sorts?) or something else? When you mentioned it I looked around but didn't quite find those files you talked about (in the PTR)
06-17-11, 07:42 AM   #8
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You cannot implement *.m2 files anymore. You need to trick it. I did include *.m2 some time ago but it stopped working long time ago. (Ok you can still add some models but not the fogs and stuff I needed)

I worked around that with the galaxy animation (basically textures rotating an the orb animated via the Blizzard animationgroup API)

But since Cataclysm Blizzard introduced quest NPC 3D portraits. They had the problem that the model for the quest NPC would not be displayed until the NPC was in your cache. So they introduced SetDisplayID() a new API function that calls a model via ID no matter if it is cached or not.

The new Roth UI 4.009+ makes use of that showing fluid animations again.

So what my model viewer is: Count from 1-n trying to match the number against SetDisplayID(). Not every number is bound to a model but most are (roughly 40k atm)

Hovering DisplayID 3694, the model used is humanfemale.m2

The DisplayID references to a specific model. A model can be used by more than one DisplayID, but models have skins. Each DisplayID stays for one skin of a specific model.

Model viewer: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Viewer1.4.html

The DisplayID API is not documented. I got all that by try/error.

Last edited by zork : 06-17-11 at 07:58 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » Orb Animations (DiscoKugel)