07-13-10, 10:03 PM   #1
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

lol Email scam

First one of this type i have seen.

Greetings,

This is an automated notification sent from our account security system. You logined your account successfully at 05:48 on
July 13th form the 000.00.000.* range, but our system shows the 000.00.000.* IP range exists a large number of hackers. As
too many customer complaints, the 000.00.000.* IP range has been blacklisted. We are concerned about whether your account
has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, we need you check your account status here as soon
as possible. If you have any questions, please visit :
http://***-batt1e.net/

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised
account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will
require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

Blizzard account system
Blizzard Entertainment

Last edited by tralkar : 07-13-10 at 10:06 PM.
07-13-10, 10:08 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
This one has actually been around for a couple of months. But I am fond of their new word "logined".
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-13-10, 10:09 PM   #3
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by tralkar View Post
First one of this type i have seen.

Greetings,

This is an automated notification sent from our account security system. You logined your account successfully at 05:48 on
July 13th form the 000.00.000.* range, but our system shows the 000.00.000.* IP range exists a large number of hackers. As
too many customer complaints, the 000.00.000.* IP range has been blacklisted. We are concerned about whether your account
has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, we need you check your account status here as soon
as possible. If you have any questions, please visit :
http://***-batt1e.net/

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised
account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will
require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

Blizzard account system
Blizzard Entertainment
"Logined"?

/shake head sadly

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-13-10, 10:10 PM   #4
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

Talking

I've gotten a bunch of those, and what's funny is one or two of them have listed dates and times I know I wasn't on because I had been out with friends. They keep trying though. Lately I've been getting ones that follow that basic layout, except that they replaced the "As too many customer complaints, the 000.00.000.* IP range has been blacklisted." part with something like "You spammed chat with offers, which pissed off to many people, so we're blacklisting. I find it funny that they keep using the same stuff over and over again and when they do decide to change something it's only minutely. It gives me a laugh at the end of a hard day of work when I get home.
07-13-10, 10:13 PM   #5
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Scary part is, it must work often enough for them to keep repeating it.

Like a shotgun to a barrel full of fish...

/shake head again

07-14-10, 12:05 AM   #6
SkunkWerks
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Scary part is, it must work often enough for them to keep repeating it.
It costs nothing to send thousands of these out. If you get even a half-dozen bites, you've made money.
07-14-10, 12:59 AM   #7
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

My favorite part is just reading the tortured grammar. I sometimes make a game of it. Count how many sentences go by before you spot something. Hell you could almost make a drinking game out of it.

**ponders**

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-14-10, 01:55 AM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

My favorite part is the way they send them all to the wrong email address. I get about a dozen a week at an email address I don't use for anything WoW related, but I almost never get any at the email address I use for my WoW account or the email address I use for WoWI and other WoW sites.

In fact, they seem to really like the other address, as I get not only WoW spam, but Aion spam, and occasionally Star Trek Online spam...
07-14-10, 04:06 AM   #9
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
My favorite part is the way they send them all to the wrong email address. I get about a dozen a week at an email address I don't use for anything WoW related, but I almost never get any at the email address I use for my WoW account or the email address I use for WoWI and other WoW sites.

In fact, they seem to really like the other address, as I get not only WoW spam, but Aion spam, and occasionally Star Trek Online spam...
Ha! Exactly. I have a TON of fake emails on my one email I never use unless its for junk, and my actual wow account never has spam. My account I use for WoWI never has spam either.
07-14-10, 05:08 AM   #10
schambi
A Murloc Raider

the amount of scam mails is kinda crazy.
Thats the reason I create another Email for my personal use .. i cant different between original and fakes but hm .. cant remember when i got a important mail from blizz so i dont care about the content
07-14-10, 05:30 AM   #11
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
My favorite part is just reading the tortured grammar. I sometimes make a game of it. Count how many sentences go by before you spot something. Hell you could almost make a drinking game out of it.

**ponders**
"Hi, Bob!"

*god, I'm old...*

07-15-10, 05:11 PM   #12
Kaos36
A Kobold Labourer
I get like 3 a week straight to the spam bin, have to laugh how desperate they are getting, just check 'Sender details' they always have email acc from Hotmail.com or some other freebie. Thats where they fail.
07-17-10, 07:04 AM   #13
Halloseve
A Kobold Labourer
It's said that some people still fall for easy tricks like this. :[
07-17-10, 10:12 AM   #14
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I get probably 10-15 of these each day.

Why? I'm not sure. It's on one of my hotmail accounts - the one I used when I signed up on WoWI and MMOC. It's also the one that was originally on my WoW account (changed when Battle.Net rolled out). It's just very amusing. :-)
07-21-10, 01:50 PM   #15
Dark-Sider
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Hi,

my daily junk-mailbox also contains loads of them. The funny thing is they all come to my three bulk-mail-accounts - but not the one that is registerred as my battle.net account - really funny :-)

bye
Darky
07-21-10, 02:18 PM   #16
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Those aren't nearly as funny as the ones that have a from address different than the return-email address: from Blizzard, return to some asshat on hotmail.

Phishing is one thing, insulting my intelligence is another.
07-21-10, 02:41 PM   #17
Ariele
A Cyclonian

I get a ton of those kinds of mails everyday. The funny thing is i changed my mail adress 2 years ago and they still send it to my old one lol
07-21-10, 09:58 PM   #18
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Thank god for Gmail I guess.

Also isn't the IP range 000.000.000.000 to 000.000.000.255 reserved for your network card ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-21-10, 10:46 PM   #19
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I think that's reserved for testing, honestly. I also think he was just zeroing out the IP in the mail.
07-22-10, 02:32 AM   #20
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Yes 0'ed them out and also the link.. Don't want any kids clicking on things that there not suppose too..

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » lol Email scam