Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Woo I found my first blue and white block

07-15-10, 09:40 AM   #22
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
There's a building in Dalaran where you will find NPC's for all the classes (across from the Legerdemain Lounge in the The Scribes Sacellum).. the hunter one will have the glyphs you need. In fact, the little guy is standing right outside the front door.
Thank you, darlin! Appreciate the help.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

07-15-10, 10:45 AM   #23
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
Yeah the night elf worgen in the cave? He has a blocky hat.

07-15-10, 11:03 AM   #24
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
Yeah the night elf worgen in the cave? He has a blocky hat.
Nah I just spotted it in the prison in the worgen starting zone.

Last edited by Slakah : 07-15-10 at 11:09 AM.

07-15-10, 11:57 AM   #25
AtliThor
Now in color!

Originally Posted by kkam View Post
Either world server or the entire realm (Mekkatorque-EU) seems to go up and down constantly today.
Other than that, awesome
I copied my lvl 80 pala over there, but I can't seem to do anything with him. I can walk around and use the /2 channel, but if I try to cast anything, talk to any NPC or use a portal, I just DC.

... no exploring for me, it seem

07-15-10, 12:19 PM   #26
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
i dont like the talent trees. not enough ability to customize.

the water is nice, but it's lacking something. seems like the non-terrain objects aren't reflecting properly. i agree it's too dark/transparent. for me, the objects in the goblin pool look like they're just floating in mid air.

07-15-10, 05:45 PM   #27
neverg
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
i dont like the talent trees. not enough ability to customize.

the water is nice, but it's lacking something. seems like the non-terrain objects aren't reflecting properly. i agree it's too dark/transparent. for me, the objects in the goblin pool look like they're just floating in mid air.
That's because true reflections aren't in the game yet.

07-15-10, 06:02 PM   #28
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

I did some flying around just to check out video performance with my so-old-they-don't-even-have-the-drivers-for-download video card. Some of the changes are subtle and cool, others are stunning and very, very cool. And some of the things...well...I flew over Loch Modan as the damn and sluce-waterfall was one of my favorite spots...only way I can describe it is, "I felt as if I had been touched in an impure manner." *insert Charton Heston, Planet of the Apes moment*

I could comment for quite a while but so much of it is based on obviously unfinished at least working perplexingly that it's hard to form a cogent impression -- other than "the base UI burns us, it freezes us!"

Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
I described it as gray, featureless concrete unless you catch the sun or a light-source in it. It's not even an issue of reflections for me, it's just...featurelessly opaque 95% of the time. First time I ran up on water (evening in gobbie zone) I thought it was a solid surface till the rather unexpected 'splash'

07-15-10, 07:05 PM   #29
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I actually got a hat with that graphics from Redridge

07-15-10, 07:19 PM   #30
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by neverg View Post
That's because true reflections aren't in the game yet.
it's weird tho cuz it seems like they kind of reflect in some cases, but not in any convincing way... it's not really a hard effect to achieve, but maybe it's just a case of having to support different rendering paths...

07-16-10, 05:39 PM   #31
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Two more thoughts I've had since taking my premade hunter to Mt. Hyjal;

1. The mobs spawn WAY too fast. Yes, they're extremely easy to kill but it took me 30 minutes to do what should've been a ten minute quest because mobs respawn almost immediately.

2. Minor thing here, but it makes me sad . The green quest rewards are already better than the T10 gear you start out with (for the most part). I'd like to get just a little more use out of the full set of T10 before I start replacing it with greens, since I'll probably never be that well geared once Cata goes live.

07-16-10, 07:08 PM   #32
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Vashj'ir is extremely fun. EXTREMELY!

And the whale shark is epic

07-16-10, 07:16 PM   #33
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
I was questing and I saw this guy...

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4...1610181507.jpg

Is this an old god or something? it scared the crap out of me! edit - his eyes move around and stare at you :O

Last edited by Ferous : 07-16-10 at 07:19 PM.

07-16-10, 07:17 PM   #34
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
Vashj'ir is extremely fun. EXTREMELY!

And the whale shark is epic
Wasn't particularly impressed with Hyjal but yes, I've found everything in Vashj'ir very fun, especially the instance.

07-16-10, 09:20 PM   #35
AtliThor
Now in color!

Originally Posted by AtliThor View Post
I copied my lvl 80 pala over there, but I can't seem to do anything with him. I can walk around and use the /2 channel, but if I try to cast anything, talk to any NPC or use a portal, I just DC.

... no exploring for me, it seem
In case anybody else runs into this, it appears it was a firewall issue. My ZoneAlarm firewall was (apparently) blocking part of the game, allowing me to use the chat and walk around, but not cast spells, rezone or talk to NPCs. One uninstall and a reboot later, I'm happily flying around Durotar

Now, if I can only get the talents I choose to stop resetting every few minutes...

07-16-10, 10:27 PM   #36
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If your videocard supports DirectX 11 you can force the game into using it, this way you get true reflections from the water.

Open config.wtf and add this: SET gxApi 'D3D11'

07-16-10, 11:01 PM   #37
st0nedpenguin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I like the fact that the game has been so simplified and toned down that it's about as complex as Farmville, and speccing talents is like peggle.

Possible sarcasm involved!

07-16-10, 11:59 PM   #38
unlimit
Lookin' Good

I like the simplicity.

I do NOT like how... clutted... everything seems at once when you begin your first few quests.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **

07-17-10, 02:30 AM   #39
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by st0nedpenguin View Post
I like the fact that the game has been so simplified and toned down that it's about as complex as Farmville, and speccing talents is like peggle.

Possible sarcasm involved!
OMG! Let's NOT get the whole Blizzard/Activision/Facebook conspiracy going again!

07-19-10, 08:18 AM   #40
CobraA1
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Under OpenGL (Linux), there is no fancy water. The slider is there (just like the fancy shadows slider) and can be moved (not like the fancy shadows slider), but only the old water shows. Changing to Direct3D shows the new water, but halves (or worse) my FPS.
Probably time to think about dual booting. Kinda strange that somebody that's in WoW enough to write addons for it isn't at least using an officially supported platform.

In any case - my first impressions are it's a great step forward. The phasing really adds a lot to the game, and makes quests a lot more satisfying. It's used to a great effect in that what you do can actually make a difference in the game world. And wow, so much has changed in this game. I can't believe they're able to start putting DX10/11 in a game this old. Looks great with the effects turned up. It still has the old school feel to it, but there are moments when you can really see the improvements (water, sunbeams).

Last edited by CobraA1 : 07-19-10 at 08:27 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » BETA; First impressions