01-19-10, 03:01 AM   #1
Jìo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
spotify addon

Ok got a request as i saw my friend had an mp3 player ingame that reported the music he's listening to atm and was wondering if its possible to embed spotify into wow or make a addon that finds the "channel" for spotify and links it like that to something like:
Im listening to <Artist> - <Song>.

Or something like that. Would be nice if someone knew if theres an addon out there for this or if its even possible to create one?
01-19-10, 03:31 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Jìo View Post
Ok got a request as i saw my friend had an mp3 player ingame that reported the music he's listening to atm and was wondering if its possible to embed spotify into wow or make a addon that finds the "channel" for spotify and links it like that to something like:
Im listening to <Artist> - <Song>.

Or something like that. Would be nice if someone knew if theres an addon out there for this or if its even possible to create one?
Your idea is not possible:

WoW runs in a "sandboxed" enviroment which means, while the game is running, AddOns cannot communicate with "third party networks". The only way data can be passed in and out of the game to a third party is via the SavedVariables file which are read only when you log-in or reload your UI and are only written to when you log-out (normally, not Alt-F4 or crash to the Desktop), or you reload your UI.

So, no connecting to Spotifiy in any form is not possible from with-in WoW. You will have to used the old Alt-Tab trick or run in Windowed mode to access your Spotify player widget (at the risk of getting ganked while your attention is elsewhere).

The other possibility is to find a widget that uses a DirectX overlay and global hotkeys to control the Spotify player. An example of such an DirectX overlay is Xfire or PlayXpert which use DirectX overlays to "enable" the use of an IM client or web browser. However such widgets don't interact with the games themselves, they just overlay the game layer with their own layer.

Last edited by Zyonin : 01-19-10 at 03:35 AM.
01-19-10, 04:42 AM   #3
Jìo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
mkay :/ thanks for the fast reply anyways
01-19-10, 05:29 AM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You can sorta get what you want. Here's how I do it (servers are down for maint, so I can't snag a screenie to show you).

Game in Full Windowed Mode (Windowed Mode + Maximized).
Open WinAmp (load up your music dir into it), put into WinShade Mode (it's the button icon that looks like the ^ symbol, next to the - and X). WinShade Mode makes Winamp nice and thin so it shouldn't get in the way of anything in game. I just place mine at the top center of my screen.

You'll also need the MMD3 skin for Winamp.
http://www.winamp.com/
http://www.winamp.com/skin/mmd3/122902

Here's what it looks like!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winamp.png
Views:	4105
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	3858  

Last edited by Petrah : 01-19-10 at 05:34 AM.
01-19-10, 08:18 AM   #5
Jìo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
aye.. my friend got that as well. problem is my only music source is spotify :/
01-19-10, 10:39 AM   #6
zero-kill
A Firelord

I would suggest using an AutoHotkey script to create a global hotkey function, unless you all ready have a media keyboard, then you can at least control the player. The only other thing I could think of to see it in game is to some how find an interface similar to the one found in Ventrilo and its overlay ability.
01-19-10, 07:30 PM   #7
Ross
A Theradrim Guardian
From the looks of it what he is more so looking for is something that just lets him post what he is listening to into chat.. I am not sure if or how its possible but could use a program that adds to your clipboard what song spotify is playing and then an ingame addon that pastes whatever is in your clipboard into a channel anytime your clipboard changes?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » spotify addon