02-10-08, 10:26 PM   #21
JaceDaAce
A Black Drake

I think this is getting off subject. All that was asked was a comparison of the 2 addons which basically do the same thing. But I agree with tweeker and his very loud font which is why I have not quoted him. I used bartender 3 for a while as I like giving different mods a try and still went to bongos it is just better for what I need. So my advice would be give each a try and see which suits your needs better.
02-11-08, 01:02 AM   #22
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes. Both mods are great, it's just a matter of personal preference. It's just that one shouldn't pick Bartender only on the basis that it's "Ace'd".

I personally prefer Bartender over Bongos, as I change my UI at least once a month, and whenever you add (or remove) bars to what you currently have enabled in Bongos, it resets your setup.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-11-08, 04:19 AM   #23
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
True, I have seen some real crap in the "ace" area, but you can find crap where ever ya go.

Sorry about the font Seerah, I dont do it to annoy anyone, just my preferance.

02-11-08, 07:59 AM   #24
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

I also recommend just trying both of them. I prefer Bongos for several reasons.

1. It's easier to configure for me. This is obviously a personal preference, as others find BT3 easier to configure. I like the right-click menus in Bongos. I also like sticky bars that make them 'dock' to one another without my spending time trying to get them perfectly aligned. According to Sparr's post, this has been added to BT3 too.

2. Paging is easy to set up. I use three bars of buttons. (Don't panic, they're scaled down and don't take up tons of room.) On my rogues, I only need one bar to page. However, my druid has two bars that change for bear form, and a different two bars for kitty. It took me longer to figure out which buttons I wanted where than to figure out how to make them page. This is a Good Thing.

3. In tandem with above, copying profiles from one char to another is easy. This is nice when I start another toon on another server to play with a friend and just want to copy my existing bar setup.

4. Less fluff. I can't be specific as it's been a while since I used BT3, but I remember it having a lot of options that make me skeered.

They're both good mods. In the end, it's probably best if you give them both a shot and see which one works best for you.
02-11-08, 08:16 AM   #25
Jdtigg
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
First, I want to thank you all for replying to this thread to give me a better idea about both mods.

I did do some testing on both bar mods and found Bongos to be an easier choice. There are a few things that Bongos had that Bartender did not. Easy set up on Bongos.

Bartender had a lot of feature that were useful, but for my needs, they were just overkill.

Both bar mods are great, but in the end I choose Bongos over Bartender.

Thank you all again.
02-11-08, 04:13 PM   #26
Inchul
A Murloc Raider

I use Bartender. I think thats the best bar mod.
02-11-08, 08:22 PM   #27
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Inchul View Post
I use Bartender. I think thats the best bar mod.
Trinity 2.0.. I've used Bongos, Bartender, CTBarMod, Flexbar..

I truly enjoy Trinity's configuration and setup.. There are, however, a few bugs with Trinity (easily resolvable by the user, once you know how) and I do not recommend it to novice users. It is, indeed, an advanced user's barmod. For ease of use, plus power, I would have to say Bongos is the way to go for -most- casual mod users.

Things I like about Trinity are:
Custom button shapes, configurable PER BAR, round bars here, square bars there, etc..

Ability to go past the 120button limit.

The fact I can put my trinket(or other eq, for that matter) slots onto the actionbars, and no matter what item I have in the slot(s) the bar will use whatever item is in that slot (big winner here, no need for a trinketmenu of any kind) (This is done by editing the button-type to "slot")

Spells and Macros can be all assigned keybinds, without needing them to be on an actionbar. (replaces spellbinder-type mods)

All in all.. Trinity is a complete action replacement mod.. not just a barmod.

Bongos2 on the other hand, has MAJOR ease of use, I like the buff/debuff highlighting on the actionbar(s). It's quite powerful for its small footprint. It is a great barmod, and what I used before I decided I wanted the advanced features of Trinity.

Bartender isn't bad, I just feel like it's a bit "hackish" lacking the polished feel I, as a Mac user, have come to expect from my stuff..

Flexbar.. the last time I tried it, required you to edit config files by hand in order to create bars.. admittedly, it has been quite a while since I've tried it, so I can't speak for it now.

CTBarMod? Well.. momma always said "If ya dont have somethin nice to say, don't say anything at all" so..

Well.. i know the topic was just bongos vs bt3, but I figured a complete barmod review wouldn't be too offtopic
02-12-08, 02:29 AM   #28
Falcon213
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm a fan of Bartender. Never tried Bongos, but I never felt the need to. To me, configuring Bar3 is unobtrusive and easy. Being able to lock/unlock bars with the click of a button, and being able to shift-drag stuff when it is locked just makes my day (makes swapping a ditching quest items for dailies on my bar easy as pie).

I also have a macro to show/hide two bars that I often use in town or at the beginning of an instance (such as portals, mage table, professions) that I want to be able to access quickly, but do not want them crowding my interface normally.

Most of this may be do-able with Bongos as well, but like I said, I've never had a reason to switch.

I have debated using flexbar though.. one of these days I might try them out and just go crazy with putting buttons all over.

Edit:
Spells and Macros can be all assigned keybinds, without needing them to be on an actionbar. (replaces spellbinder-type mods)
I also do this with bartender, I just have one bar with a few keybinds and macros and have it set to hidden.

Last edited by Falcon213 : 02-12-08 at 04:44 AM.
02-12-08, 04:30 AM   #29
st0nedpenguin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I use BT3 because I've been using it for christ knows how long and I'm too lazy to bother configuring another bar mod, ever.
02-12-08, 07:21 AM   #30
aastarius
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by st0nedpenguin View Post
I use BT3 because I've been using it for christ knows how long and I'm too lazy to bother configuring another bar mod, ever.
QFT ... I is just lazy
02-12-08, 10:09 AM   #31
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Falcon213 View Post
I also do this with bartender, I just have one bar with a few keybinds and macros and have it set to hidden.
Hidden or not, those buttons use up slots.. bringin your UI closer to the 120 button limit (yes, it has been improved in 2.3, but not eliminated, just easier for addons to work around now)
02-12-08, 10:11 AM   #32
SquishyMage
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Oh, this thread again.

Bartender3 is my bread and butter. I have tried Trinity. I have tried Bongo. I always return to BT3.

Since I play all the classes, I have the need to easily configure stances, especially for my druid. Trinity to this day has problems out of the box with cat form vs prowl form. BT3, it just works. Right away. And I like the ability of BT3 to configure which bar is shown in the various stances. I usually have three bars on my screen. In caster form, the bottom bar is bar 1, with bar 2 and 3 stacked above. When I go to cat form, 1 and 2 shift to bars 4 and 5. When I go prowl, bar 1 becomes bar 6. When I go bear form, bar 1 becomes 7, bar 2 becomes 8.

Can this be done with Bongos/Trinity? Sure. Do I prefer that it works out of the box with BT3? Youbetcha.

Someone raised a good point about the dot coloring of a button. That's nice. But it SUCKS for a warlock. I dot multiple mobs. Which mob is losing the dot as far as Bongos is concerned? That's why I use DoTimer.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Bartender vs. Bongos2