12-09-07, 08:54 PM   #1
Republic
Paladin

Panel Mod Disgust

Anyone happen to know which revision number of Fubar was the last one to function correctly without overlapping minimap/bar/bouncy frame issues?

Titan and Fubar, you know - two of the top mods in use, both appear to be dead. My definition of dead in this sense - not having a release version updated to current game version. I understand the catch-all "beta" tag that's thrown all over the place and badly misused in this mod world, but honestly, how is it that arguably the two most popular addons are this sloppy in development? Granted, we all have lives outside of the game but damn it guys - do something about such sluggish development.

Here's an idea - put together a team to provide releases. Any thoughts? If one person no longer cares about a certain "responsibility" to the community that comes in developing such popular addons, god sakes - get a group of people to help you put things out in a timely manner. I'd be willing to bet there are folks ready to pick up the ball and run with it.

There is no excuse for the download version of Fubar (on this site) to be 20003. There is no excuse a person should have to go searching through the rather cryptic archives of Ace Files to find something updated and functional with the current game version.

Why is it that new addons are coming out all the time based on outdated panel mods? Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture? If a person can't or won't develop their mod, they need to drop it or pass the baton to someone who can or will. The game of wow itself goes backwards all the time. Lately, Fubar and Titan are moving in the same direction. We get angry at Blizzard for patches that break new things. Why shouldn't we also get angry at addon authors who appear unconscious?

Base addons should be updated. Always. Is it testing? Lack of testing? Lack of concern? Lack of time? What's the deal? Anyone know?

I'll settle for a Fubar that's only "partially broken" and doesnt jump all over my minimap! If anyone knows a version that won't do this - kindly post! I'll put you in my will.

Would it be possible to put Cladhaire (best author going) in charge of everything I use? No? DAMN!

<not really angry or critical - just mildly sick of having to search so hard for updates to Titan and/or Fubar>

Thanks
12-09-07, 09:04 PM   #2
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The Ace files site is cryptic? I've never had much of a problem figuring it out.
If you want the latest version of fubar, just go here. http://files.wowace.com/FuBar/FuBar.zip
It's always the latest. The lastest version is always bundled into a Modname.zip in it's directory.
Pretty simple I think.

Not sure about your bar mod jumping all over your minimap issue. Does it overlap it or something or does it put it in the face and take it's lunch money?
12-09-07, 10:40 PM   #3
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Originally Posted by Republic
There is no excuse for the download version of Fubar (on this site) to be 20003. There is no excuse a person should have to go searching through the rather cryptic archives of Ace Files to find something updated and functional with the current game version.
why does an author (any author, for that matter) have some kind of responsibility to post releases to this site? you obviously seem to know where to find the current version, so why does it have to be posted it here? there are alot of great mods out there that aren't posted to any major hosting site.

the wowace files pages have become far more user-friendly since they implemented packagemancer (not that it was all that cryptic to start with...)...or what could be easier than using WAU? WUU maybe?

the latest version of Fubar on this site is from March 2007....before ckk implemented the Rock framework. the latest version on wowace was updated 2 weeks ago.

i'm really not trying to be argumentative here...just seems like you think the authors owe you something for some reason.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
12-09-07, 11:49 PM   #4
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Syxx
The Ace files site is cryptic? I've never had much of a problem figuring it out.
If you want the latest version of fubar, just go here. http://files.wowace.com/FuBar/FuBar.zip
It's always the latest. The lastest version is always bundled into a Modname.zip in it's directory.
Pretty simple I think.

Not sure about your bar mod jumping all over your minimap issue. Does it overlap it or something or does it put it in the face and take it's lunch money?
The latest version, in my opinion, should also be available on this site, Curse, and perhaps even the Virus Haven known as Incgamers. Call me crazy

And yes, it overlaps. Many people are having the same issue(s) and can be found here at a bug reporting link no one really reads anymore (well, it's either that - or no one who can fix things reads it).

Things that make you go hmmm...
12-09-07, 11:55 PM   #5
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Rigorous
why does an author (any author, for that matter) have some kind of responsibility to post releases to this site? you obviously seem to know where to find the current version, so why does it have to be posted it here? there are alot of great mods out there that aren't posted to any major hosting site.

the wowace files pages have become far more user-friendly since they implemented packagemancer (not that it was all that cryptic to start with...)...or what could be easier than using WAU? WUU maybe?

the latest version of Fubar on this site is from March 2007....before ckk implemented the Rock framework. the latest version on wowace was updated 2 weeks ago.

i'm really not trying to be argumentative here...just seems like you think the authors owe you something for some reason.
1) Because this is the best wow mod site on the net.

2) WAU is a great tool, and I use it daily. It doesn't solve the problem that things aren't being updated/fixed. Once again, I refer you back to the open-ended "beta" term that's tossed around so frequently. But honestly, do you think the average wow user has even heard about WAU? I'm not talking about the game/addon/mod nerd types that live for tinkering with interfaces, but the general wow user. No one knows about this stuff, and for lots of people (not us), this is a very cryptic process (downloading/installing/updating wow addons). For reference, review any site's help forums for 1001 basic questions on topics you and I consider as easy as breathing.

I will try the 2 week old version of Fubar, maybe that helps. Lord knows the bug-reporting does no good. Feel free to review the site posted in my previous response. Tons of open responses, no fixes, and no real activity.

<still mildly disgusted>

Thanks
12-10-07, 12:27 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Where an author uploads a mod is up to them. Not up to you and your opinions. More locations for a mod = more places to take bug reports = more places to take feature requests = more places to answer support questions = more places to keep updated = more hassle for something that they make for themselves and release to others for free because they're nice.

Anyway, it's not an issue with FuBar, it's an issue with JostleLib, I believe. CK has been a bit AWOL lately - not sure what's happened to him... Perhaps he got tired of seeing people complaining, who knows. Everyone gets burnt out at one time or another. Or maybe he's busy with school. Or with another project. Or maybe something's happened to him.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-10-07, 05:11 AM   #7
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Stop using mods. Issue resolved. Thanx for playing the game and have a nice day.
12-10-07, 07:22 AM   #8
Taffu
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
The latest version, in my opinion, should also be available on this site, Curse, and perhaps even the Virus Haven known as Incgamers. Call me crazy
You write an AddOn and then spend the absurd amount of time maintaining it on multiple sites. Then you might have a "vague" understanding of why some authors simply choose to pick one site and one site only to release AddOns on to avoid the time-sink and hassle involved in maintaining multiple release locations. It's a hobby...not a job. Consider yourself lucky that there's as many authors as there are willing to consistently take the time to keep their AddOns up-to-date and available to the public.
12-10-07, 09:32 AM   #9
Slakah
A Molten Giant

It's the authors decision at the end of the day. I wouldn't set out and do it as other author's have, but then again I'm not them.
12-10-07, 10:32 AM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Oh, and in your dream world, you would have Cladhaire take over FuBar. But Clad *only* uses this site for his mods.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-10-07, 11:33 AM   #11
Steil
A Cliff Giant

If you use the wau tool then you should also know that it saves a new log for each time it runs go to your wow directory and check what mods were updated on the day that your issue started.
12-10-07, 12:57 PM   #12
Sajomatic
Deuce Interfaces

Premium Member
/popcorn
12-10-07, 01:21 PM   #13
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

1) Because this is the best wow mod site on the net.
how is that in any way relavent to the issue?

2) WAU is a great tool, and I use it daily. It doesn't solve the problem that things aren't being updated/fixed.
if you use WAU then you can easily see updates. and if you use it daily, you wouldn't need to "try the 2 week old version of Fubar" because WAU should've already updated it.

Once again, I refer you back to the open-ended "beta" term that's tossed around so frequently. But honestly, do you think the average wow user has even heard about WAU?
what about the "beta" term? you mean the fact that the updates you often see on WAU are beta? they are...and there's nothing wrong with that. if you are using WAU daily, you have to use it with that knowledge. if you don't, that's in no way the author's fault. i also don't think "the average wow user" is the "average mod user".

No one knows about this stuff, and for lots of people (not us), this is a very cryptic process (downloading/installing/updating wow addons).
if they want to use it, then they need to learn about it. period. individual mods aren't for people who aren't willing to tinker with their interface and gain some understanding about how it all works. packages like Mazzle are for those people.

For reference, review any site's help forums for 1001 basic questions on topics you and I consider as easy as breathing.
then that's an excellent place for those clueless newbies to start learning when they make the jump into using mods. if one isn't willing to learn about and accept all of the potential problems that come with using mods, then one should stick to using the default interface. only Blizzard owes them anything (and if you read the TOS, probably not even that).

beyond that....Seerah and Taffu said it best:

Where an author uploads a mod is up to them
It's a hobby...not a job. Consider yourself lucky that there's as many authors as there are willing to consistently take the time to keep their AddOns up-to-date and available to the public.
if people can't understand those two things....they should see what Rev has to say.
12-10-07, 02:22 PM   #14
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I will give the OP some credit for a change
(well at least about his point, not the way to say things)

Any discrepancy between the original addons websites and official releases on major UI sites will generate confusion. In that particular case more often than not we see answers like "wowace is beta anyway, you should not complain if you have a problem", which is perfectly okay, but then where are the official releases? Here? Not when some files are outdated and not compatible with the rest of the latest addons. I update directly against the original websites (being WowAce, Auctioneer, Atlas, GFW and so on), and sometimes it is only 2 or 3 weeks after the release there that it appears here (that is when it pops up in my favorites and I cannot remember whether I already updated it or not ). Most of the time it will never be a problem, but things like this do happen.

I am not saying this is bad or anything, just that I can understand people get confused. Sometimes I do wonder why authors release addons to different websites saying "I will never check this site again, please go to this other site". Why posting here in the first place then? For a better visibility I guess. Again do not get me wrong, I am not implying any "author responsibilities" or whatever you call it, this is obviously a matter of personal opinions and not to be discussed. Just saying the OP has a point somehow. Like others said in this thread you will have to dig around to find your ways I guess.

Last edited by Kaomie : 12-10-07 at 02:44 PM.
12-10-07, 07:48 PM   #15
Republic
Paladin

how is that in any way relavent to the issue?
It is relevant because I make it so! Actually, consider the fact of how "Fubar-friendly" this very major add-on site appears. It's plastered all over the top downloads, etc. and is clearly visible right on the front page as a "source" for Fubar. Now, if I were CK, which thankfully I'm not, I'd probably want to keep my own PORTAL updated. If you cannot see the logic here, perhaps we can just agree to remain in disagreement. I don't think it's expecting too much for an author's "portal site" to be updated. Is it? I mean, that's more like a "base of operations". Keep it current. God sakes.

if you use WAU then you can easily see updates. and if you use it daily, you wouldn't need to "try the 2 week old version of Fubar" because WAU should've already updated it.
Assuming updates fix the problem, this is a perfect solution. However, when updates either 1) further convolute a matter, or 2) fail to address a matter, the simplicity of this process is of no significance. Your statement is incorrect. It should read, "If Fubar updates fixed problems, you wouldn't need to try the 2 week old version of Fubar". No?

what about the "beta" term? you mean the fact that the updates you often see on WAU are beta? they are...and there's nothing wrong with that. if you are using WAU daily, you have to use it with that knowledge. if you don't, that's in no way the author's fault. i also don't think "the average wow user" is the "average mod user".
Nope, but the average wow user becomes the average mod user when he/she joins a guild and someone in their guild says "dude, we all use XXX addon from Wow interface, you need to go get it". And thusly, the cryptic process of updating/tinkering begins (especially for Fubar users). While this is not specific to panel mods, you can certainly follow my point here.

if they want to use it, then they need to learn about it. period. individual mods aren't for people who aren't willing to tinker with their interface and gain some understanding about how it all works. packages like Mazzle are for those people.
That's a true statement. I'd like to refer you to my previous comment above. The average wow user is referred to sites like these all the time. When that happens, in the example of Fubar (only one example among hundreds), they should not happen upon an outdated mod that they cannot get running properly because they "don't know" it's outdated to begin with.

In any event, there's still a major problem with the two main panel mods not being able to keep current with the game version. Period.
12-10-07, 07:58 PM   #16
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Taffu
You write an AddOn and then spend the absurd amount of time maintaining it on multiple sites. Then you might have a "vague" understanding of why some authors simply choose to pick one site and one site only to release AddOns on to avoid the time-sink and hassle involved in maintaining multiple release locations. It's a hobby...not a job. Consider yourself lucky that there's as many authors as there are willing to consistently take the time to keep their AddOns up-to-date and available to the public.
At the very least, an author should keep his/her portal site updated. I'm not sure what else I can say here. I do think it's ridiculous to maintain multiple sites, but when there's a portal present, anyone reasonable sort of expects it to be updated. These authors who are overworked from uploading and updating numerous sites need some efficiency advice. I suggest 1) Stop the extra work. 2) Maintain an official portal site. 3) Keep your portal updated. 4) Relax and fix problems as time allows. Easy enough, isn't it? If that's too simplistic, take 5 major sites and keep them updated. Maintain the location of your portal site for "support". Again, an easy solution.

I'm grateful for a select few addons I happen to use. They improve my user experience. That's all fine and dandy. I also see basic problems with the way things are done/not done sometimes and that's why I started this thread. I appreciate real authors. I'm not talking about the guys that grab a handful of other people's addons and shove them in a zip file and call it "Random Zip Uploader Name UI" or whatever, although sometimes those are neat as well, but to a lot lesser degree than someone actually creating something. That said, I don't think being appreciative of someone's work is cause to ignore basic process logic for distributing work, etc. That's all I'm pointing out here. Titan and Fubar are in a very poor state right now. It just seems like it shouldn't be that way. That's all.
12-10-07, 08:00 PM   #17
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Seerah
Oh, and in your dream world, you would have Cladhaire take over FuBar. But Clad *only* uses this site for his mods.
I am extremely happy considering this dream! Hmm...Cladhaire + Fubar + This Site = Pinch ME!!!!

12-11-07, 02:33 AM   #18
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Did La Scala's season start early? Cuz there is some excellent drama in this thread.
12-11-07, 04:57 AM   #19
Galinn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
This man/boy seriously hase some "i am the most important person on the intarweb" problems
12-11-07, 05:35 AM   #20
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Curiously, I do not use the WAU, or any other U that is out there. So in that, I have an updated version of FuBar, and it works quite well with no errors. Perhaps you should look into updating by hand. Perhaps look at what you are updating as well.

If that doesn't work for ya, then you can make your own mods. Keep your own portal up to date, and take care of the issues.

Does this thread need to be closed? Cause I don't see it going anywhere constructive.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Panel Mod Disgust