10-26-08, 05:21 AM   #141
fyrye
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post
It's not a technically difficult project. It's just really annoying and time-consuming. There's just so many different permutations of configurations, so many add-ons' data structures and init procedures to figure out, and so many little details. It's nature also makes it fairly brittle.
Exactly what I was refering to. The fact that many of the addons that make MazzleUI have long since been discontinued from the original core as well as learning their inner-workings in the Mazzifier was a tedious task for one who was not already familiar. moveFrames for example, the last update from the developer was 3/28/2007.
The 1.1 core was released 07/2007.

Though despite everything it is very much a fixable compilation
For those who want to learn how to, I recommend learning the basics of LUA and OOP (Object Oriented Programing)
http://www.lua.org/manual

Then pick up a decent LUA project editor
http://www.wowwiki.com/Lua_editors
I prefer UltraEdit and VS

Then familiarize yourself with the Mazzle Core and the Addons that make it work.
Find out which addons are bugged outside of mazzle's core, fix/replace them, then look into the mazzle core and impliment the new addons as omissions to the original.
All while working with Mazzle as to what can change and what can not.
10-26-08, 12:17 PM   #142
malathar
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Geeskin View Post
well no disrespect mazzle but i gess some people forget about pirate bay and mininova etc ,

big films get pirated. so maybe your work will lmfao..

bet no ones looked there lol.
You'd actually be suprised how many malicious files there are out there with the name 'MazzleUI'.
10-26-08, 12:42 PM   #143
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by malathar View Post
You'd actually be suprised how many malicious files there are out there with the name 'MazzleUI'.
Seriously? Where?
10-26-08, 12:45 PM   #144
malathar
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Do a search on torrentscan.com I only searched the first site, which was Sumotorrent I believe.
10-26-08, 02:27 PM   #145
Sketch
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Mazzle has every right to keep the code of their specific things they created closed. Being open doesn't mean 'you're better than everyone because you're giving it away and letting everyone and their mother work on it' it just means you aren't good enough to do it on your own.

I kid, i kid, but it's bile and vinegar that's seeping into this thread that SHOULD be about how to get either the best addonUI compilation back in working order, OR making a comparable replacement.

Now, what about simply creating a UI compilation that uses similar structure? Cleave what we do and do not need from the UI to make it simpler to recreate/fix. Do we NEED little 3D guys? Not really. Do we NEED a lot of choice for raid frames? Nope. Do we even need Set button layouts? NO.

Honestly, what appealed to me about Mazzle was the look. It had a low on screen footprint, gave you everything you needed, and had a low memory footprint as well. Now, how hard is it to recreate something like that?

We don't need the addon to set itself for us...we've kind of forgotten our roots in that Mazzle did it for us :P Everyone is worried about how to make the Mazzifier, and no one seems concerend about simply making a UI compilation that works and releasing it like everyone else's. Where the end user HAS to make tweaks, but overall it's nice.
10-26-08, 02:29 PM   #146
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I think that site is a farce. Do a search for BentWeinerUI, and you'll come up with the exact same fake results. They're just doing it to try to get you to sign up to their sites.
10-26-08, 05:57 PM   #147
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I think that site is a farce. Do a search for BentWeinerUI, and you'll come up with the exact same fake results. They're just doing it to try to get you to sign up to their sites.
I NEED to register to try out the BentWeinerUI!
10-27-08, 07:06 PM   #148
trevalore
A Murloc Raider
I would if that were true, but it is not. I've worked with four people before to keep things going, and I've responded to two people recently who showed some interest. Just because I don't want people to cannibalize it for their own use does not mean I want it to die.
I've been a faithful an avid user of Mazzle since before BC. To date I've also been a staunch supporter of retaining control of your hard work. However, that said... I've never seen the point in wadding up my panties over a project I've, in essence, abandoned. Most pointedly a project that has no financial impact. Then again some folks have a hard time letting go. Mazzle I'd like to thank rather sincerely for all the good times due to your UI. Sadly though, in light of what I've read concerning the hold ups with your UI, and considering how long you've been gone from WoW, I'm going to have to abandon your UI. It's a shame to see something like this mired down due any one individuals issues. Especially considering the vast effort put forth by people OTHER then mazzle. To those that put in the time to keep mazzle alive for as long as it was... My deepest thanks. A small part of me wants to tell mazzle off, but frankly the very fact that I want to just gives testimony to how good of a UI he created. So thanks to him as well...even if I do feel he should take his ownership issues an... well nuff said. Best of luck folks...other UI's await.
10-27-08, 10:42 PM   #149
apolis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
this question is for mazzle or anyone who knows the answer. What does the mazzifier use for the mazzifier text?
10-28-08, 05:32 AM   #150
legion3pm
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
i cant fully remember if there was text at the startup of the mazzifier or not but in the globals file inside the mazzifier dir at the very bottom is welcometext i dont know if thats for the mazzifier or for mazzle options b/c i cant remember. being in the mazzifier dir. i would say its for the mazzifier. but any case there should be a line in one of the lua/xml files that calls that text up. i thought it was in the mazzifier.xml file where it has the command to use a wordwrap but i changed that line 500 diff. ways and i could never get anything to show up. if you find out anything lemme know. and from what i could gather from the time i was working on it. it seems like there might be something wrong with frames/tabs not being recognized anymore or something. they are still there on the mazzifier when it loads up but the command to make to next button or just clicking tabs is broke. seems like its unable to grab the tabname/id from the frames/tabs in the mazzifier.xml file.

Last edited by legion3pm : 10-28-08 at 05:36 AM.
10-28-08, 09:16 AM   #151
kittyinacage78
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by fyrye View Post
Exactly what I was refering to. The fact that many of the addons that make MazzleUI have long since been discontinued from the original core as well as learning their inner-workings in the Mazzifier was a tedious task for one who was not already familiar. moveFrames for example, the last update from the developer was 3/28/2007.
The 1.1 core was released 07/2007.

Though despite everything it is very much a fixable compilation
For those who want to learn how to, I recommend learning the basics of LUA and OOP (Object Oriented Programing)
http://www.lua.org/manual

Then pick up a decent LUA project editor
http://www.wowwiki.com/Lua_editors
I prefer UltraEdit and VS

Then familiarize yourself with the Mazzle Core and the Addons that make it work.
Find out which addons are bugged outside of mazzle's core, fix/replace them, then look into the mazzle core and impliment the new addons as omissions to the original.
All while working with Mazzle as to what can change and what can not.

thnx for the info
i'm jumping on this ASAP

kitty
10-28-08, 10:27 AM   #152
McBean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Main project effort - failed

This is just a note to the masses that the group of people who initially volunteered to spearhead repairing mazzle for WOTLK has effectively failed. I'm not knocking anyone, but I can only communicate the reality of my experiences over the last two weeks.

I have been PM-ing with a number of people as well as e-mailing a small group of devs that had originally stepped up to work on repairing Mazzle. All such communication has gone unreturned since October 24th.

As someone who was enlisted to support the organization and communiction of the repair effort I can only communicate that no news is bad news. If there are people working on repairing Mazzle, they are doing so in a vaccum or in a manner that keeps the team in the dark.

From my vantage point, I can only surmise that this initial effort is going nowhere. I'm not here to knock or insult anyone who pitched in. I'm just communicating out to this audience that if someone else wants to run with it - go for it. From all outward appearances, you're not going to be stepping on anyone's toes.

--McBean
10-28-08, 12:45 PM   #153
Nighrunner
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by McBean View Post
This is just a note to the masses that the group of people who initially volunteered to spearhead repairing mazzle for WOTLK has effectively failed. I'm not knocking anyone, but I can only communicate the reality of my experiences over the last two weeks.

I have been PM-ing with a number of people as well as e-mailing a small group of devs that had originally stepped up to work on repairing Mazzle. All such communication has gone unreturned since October 24th.

As someone who was enlisted to support the organization and communiction of the repair effort I can only communicate that no news is bad news. If there are people working on repairing Mazzle, they are doing so in a vaccum or in a manner that keeps the team in the dark.

From my vantage point, I can only surmise that this initial effort is going nowhere. I'm not here to knock or insult anyone who pitched in. I'm just communicating out to this audience that if someone else wants to run with it - go for it. From all outward appearances, you're not going to be stepping on anyone's toes.

--McBean
RIP Mazzleui
October 28,2008

10-28-08, 02:46 PM   #154
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That's a shame. I thought they had some real enthusiasm.
10-28-08, 05:23 PM   #155
apolis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
the main problem with mazzle is the mazzifier. there is no text what so ever
10-28-08, 05:57 PM   #156
shadow1981
A Fallenroot Satyr
That's a shame. I thought they had some real enthusiasm.
M8 i use ur ui long time and make wow easy and more funn for most of the players that use it

But u let a great ui die and ur comments dont help ppl that try to fix it

I know that u get allot flame from ppl and if u dont want to fix it or help some ppl make ur ui work

Make a post so ppl stop bugg u and move on
10-28-08, 06:39 PM   #157
ibnuts
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Just out of curiousity, if people were willing to pay to have the UI kept updated, how much would it take?

If I won the lottery, I'd pay all my favorite addons makers to keep their stuff updated. Either that, or buy strippers; lots of strippers.
10-28-08, 07:23 PM   #158
Geeskin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by ibnuts View Post
. Either that, or buy strippers; lots of strippers.
im just gonna agree with that bit
10-28-08, 08:28 PM   #159
Wardog72
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by McBean View Post

--McBean

This honestly doesn't surprise me. I've watched a few people make fixes (DocEvl, etc) and then go without so much as a word. The task is too unwieldy to patch this thing up with duct tape and bailing wire after every patch. I greatly enjoyed this unique UI while it was usable but like others I moved on. The main page to this UI is way out of date and doesn't even reflect it's broke condition. Wonder how many suckers every day hear about this UI and then are severely disappointed when what they download is in shambles . The fact there's still donation links for a useless UI speaks volumes. To those with hope, good luck...
10-28-08, 08:59 PM   #160
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
ok i have been looking at the code and tbh when mazzle said

"It's not a technically difficult project. It's just really annoying and time-consuming. There's just so many different permutations of configurations, so many add-ons' data structures and init procedures to figure out, and so many little details. It's nature also makes it fairly brittle."

he wasnt wrong, theres a lot of code that would need to be redirected and certain elements just are not being updated, taking parts of the code is unpermissable and tbh if it were my work i would feel exactly the same

saying this i have made some progress but will be sending any of my findings to mazz for him to release, im not after credit just a working amazing ui as the so called dev team seem to have let the project die maybe im wrong but from the looks of this forum and lack of news and updates from them. well u kinda get my point

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleUI 3.0/WOTLK Devs Only