10-19-13, 02:26 AM   #1
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Changes to Quests51-60.lua File

Today as I quested with a friend in Silithus, I discovered two related quests that used to have 3 objectives now only have one. They are "Glyph Chasing" which is located at line 1155 and "Breaking the Code" which is presently located at line 1171.

While doing "Glyph Chasing", I noticed that only Hive Regal showed up in the objective list followed by two "nil" (mystery) objectives. I forgot to pick up "Breaking the Code", so when I turned in "Glyph Chasing" I picked it up and noticed the same situation.

So I made the following changes before doing the quest to make sure my edits wouldn't cause any errors.

Glyph Chasing - Reduced from 3 objectives to 1
Only Hive Regal objective now given
Deleted Lines 1159 - 1169 inclusive

Breaking the Code - Also reduced from 3 objectives to 1
Only Hive Regal objective now given.
Deleted lines 1175 - 1300 inclusive

For those making these changes themselves, I only eliminated the objective sections of these two quests since they are no longer necessary. If you do the quests with Carbonite as it now is, the other two objectives only show up as "nil". Only the Regal Hive objective shows as it should.

I hope this helps and can be included in a future update of Carbonite.

If it would help for me to do what is necessary to get authorization to post the code to the whole file for people to make these changes, please let me know how to go about doing that. Thanks.

Also, if my efforts are helping in anyway or not, I would appreciate at least a rating or comment to let me know. I have posted code fixes and offered suggestions in other threads that I think should be considered for future updates without any kind of response. So, it would be nice to know if posting changes when I find and fix them are helpful or a waste of time.

I should have included these screenshots when I first posted this to show how the quest watch window looks before and after the edits, but I had to run these quests again on another alt so I could show both of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Edit of Quests_51-60 .jpg
Views:	234
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	7905  Click image for larger version

Name:	After Edit of Quests_51-60 .jpg
Views:	226
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	7906  

Last edited by JWMcQuire : 10-20-13 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added Screenshots to show before and after edits

10-19-13, 07:24 PM   #2
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I'm not what you would call very knowledgeable about LUA programming, so bear with me if I'm asking a "dumb" question.

If I understood what you said correctly, each quest now has one quest objective instead of three they used to have (if I remember correctly about the hive quests, you're right), but it looks like the lines you deleted remove all three three quest objectives from each quest, instead of just the two no longer required by each quest. Wouldn't that somewhat break things in Carbonite for those two quests?

I'm probably misunderstanding the way the LUA code is laid out, but thought I'd ask.

Last edited by Coasty : 10-19-13 at 07:28 PM.

10-19-13, 08:08 PM   #3
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

It's an excellent question and I am new to lua codes myself, but decided to give it a try anyway.

You are correct that the two quests now only have 1 objective instead of three.

However, the "Objective" sections I removed only tell the addon to show all three objectives in the quest tracker. Without the "Objective" sections, the quest watcher will only show the 1 remaining objective with the tracking hud pointing toward Hive Regal which is the area now for both quests.

My guess is that the "Objective" sections may not have been necessary at all since the first part of the code for each quest already tells Carbonite what quest to watch and should show all objectives automatically. I'll have to test that on another quest to see if I am right. For now, I have tested my changes and they worked as I had hoped.

My suggestion if you want to try this is to copy/paste the original file to another location so if my changes don't work or you delete too many lines, you can restore it to it's present form. What I do, since I have started doing this, is keep a copy of the whole unzipped addon in a special folder I created for this purpose. It has saved me a few times.

Also when deleting all those lines, look at how the code in the file is organized and make sure you have all the marks before and after exactly the same as in the rest of the addon. If one "}" is one space off, you will get an error. Here is how the code looks in my copy of this file now with the quests before and after showing.

Lua Code:
  1. [8308] = {
  2.     Quest = [[Brann Bronzebeard's Lost Letter|0|56|54|0|0]],
  3.    End = "341|261|32|46.42|78.95",
  4.  },
  5.  [8309] = {
  6.    Quest = [[Glyph Chasing|0|56|54|0|0]],
  7.    Start = "341|261|32|46.39|79.03",
  8.    End = "341|261|32|46.4|79.03",
  9.  },
  10.  [8310] = {
  11.    Quest = [[Breaking the Code|0|56|54|0|0]],
  12.    Start = "342|261|32|46.02|79.32",
  13.    End = "342|261|32|46|79.33",
  14.  },
  15.  [8313] = {
  16.    Quest = [[Sharing the Knowledge|0|56|54|8317|5]],
  17.    Start = "340|261|32|43.54|41.98",
  18.    End = "339|261|32|55.49|36.7",
  19.  },

If you decide to copy/paste this over the original lines into your copy of the file, make sure to remove the line numbers that show up. I haven't figured how to copy lua code from here myself yet without the numbers also being copied. So when I do this, I have to go though and remove those numbers myself so I don't get errors.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by JWMcQuire : 10-19-13 at 08:12 PM.

10-20-13, 09:12 AM   #4
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by JWMcQuire View Post
*snip
If you decide to copy/paste this over the original lines into your copy of the file, make sure to remove the line numbers that show up. I haven't figured how to copy lua code from here myself yet without the numbers also being copied. So when I do this, I have to go though and remove those numbers myself so I don't get errors.

I hope this helps.
Hit the quote button and copy the content's between the highlight tags

10-20-13, 11:41 AM   #5
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post
Hit the quote button and copy the content's between the highlight tags
Thank you for that. I guess that should have been obvious. lol

10-20-13, 04:52 PM   #6
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Explanation on actual Locations of Quests

I tested these two quests today along with "Into the Maw of Madness" where I had to kill Mistress Natalia Mar'alith who is right next to the crystal you have to click to complete "Glyph Chasing". Carbonite points exactly to the locations of the mistress and the crystal, but it doesn't point to the entrance of Hive Regal one must go to that gets you to them.

I assume the "objective" sections I deleted could have been edited to show the location of the entrance, but I found that by flying in the direction Carbonite points me to, the entrance is the one closest to the actual location of the objectives.

However, if anyone wants to try to tweak the code to show the entrance location, you can find it at 58.2, 78.6.

10-20-13, 06:12 PM   #7
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Well, to take tell Glyph Chasing as an example, I have absolutely no idea of what the numbers or their position in the Objective lines refer to, so I wouldn't have a clue how to plug in the entrance coords. Of the objective lines:

Objectives = {
[1] = {
"nil|261|35|54.5|25.5|5.01|6.68",
},
[2] = {
"nil|261|35|42.5|56.5|5.01|3.34",
},
[3] = {
"nil|261|35|55.5|90|5.01|6.68",
},

I have no idea which one, [1], [2], [3], refers to the one remaining objective of the quest. If I knew that my thought would be to take out the other two and leave the Objectives section in for that one and see how Carbonite reacts to that, and do the same for the other quest.

I suspect that the Objectives section is needed, even if it is only for one objective as I noticed in the LUA file there were several other quests that had an Objectives section with only one objective listed. I think I remember a post where Rhythal posted a breakdown of the Quest file Objectives section lines but darned if I remember which thread it was in.

Unfortunately all of my characters have long since done all the Silithus quests so other than starting a new character and laboriously leveling up I have no way to test any quests in Silithus or changes to the LUA lines in Quests51-60.lua. But, these days I haven't the time or patience to start another character over from scratch. Well, mostly make that a lack of patience

Last edited by Coasty : 10-20-13 at 06:27 PM.

10-20-13, 08:25 PM   #8
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Coasty View Post
I suspect that the Objectives section is needed, even if it is only for one objective as I noticed in the LUA file there were several other quests that had an Objectives section with only one objective listed.
Thank you for replying, but I have to disagree with you just on what I have quoted here.

I recently added "before and after" screenshots of what the quest watch looks like before and after the edits.

As I did these quests on a different alt, I first restored the original file so I could capture the quests as they now show up with the "nil" quest lines added. I then restored my edited version and reloaded my alt so I could capture the quests with my edited version where I deleted the objectives sections of the quests. If you look at those screenshots, you can see the quests remained in tact with just the one objective showing without need of the objective code in the addon.

After a second look however, I am pretty confident that if I left the 3rd one in which refers to the remaining objective and changed the number to "1", it would work just as well. However, that would be redundant and an unnecessary use of memory in my opinion.

So I would guess myself that an "Objectives" section may not be necessary for some quests but more helpful for other quests like those with multiple locations to go to or multiple NPCs to find.

Hopefully one of the authors will be willing to give an opinion on this.

Last edited by JWMcQuire : 10-20-13 at 08:40 PM.

10-20-13, 09:10 PM   #9
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I should have been much more specific.

I wasn't referring to the single quest objective listed in the Quest List display (as in your pic showing the results of your edited file), but rather whether part of the Objective lines might be the final controlling factor of which specific location the tracking arrow is pointing to. It's obvious that the Objective lines control the Quest List display when there's more than one objective, but I was wondering what other parameters the Objective lines affect. It seems to me there's more info there than what is needed to have just the objective displayed. That's what I was thinking when I said I didn't know what in heck the parameters in each line in the Objectives section meant and how they would affect Carbonite.

Didn't write it very well though.

Last edited by Coasty : 10-20-13 at 09:30 PM.

10-20-13, 11:17 PM   #10
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks for explaining what you meant.

Before I tried this, I usually edited the coordinates in the "nil" commands in the quest objective sections to provide more accurate locations to objectives.

For this one, I cutting back to the one objective and changing the coordinates to the location of the entrance to Hive Regal that gets you to the crystal and the Mistress.

By default without the objective section, the goto points automatically to the location of those two within Regal Hive leaving the quester to search for the correct entrance location.

I hope this helps. :-)

10-21-13, 09:32 AM   #11
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The reason it worked when you removed all the objective lines is because with the new quest code, if there is no objective data to display it uses blizzards info (if it's available). So it built that line itself of where to go.

10-21-13, 11:51 AM   #12
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thank you for explaining that.

10-21-13, 06:26 PM   #13
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Thanks for explaining what you meant.

Before I tried this, I usually edited the coordinates in the "nil" commands in the quest objective sections to provide more accurate locations to objectives.

For this one, I cutting back to the one objective and changing the coordinates to the location of the entrance to Hive Regal that gets you to the crystal and the Mistress.

By default without the objective section, the goto points automatically to the location of those two within Regal Hive leaving the quester to search for the correct entrance location.

I hope this helps. :-)
Ah OK, I didn't get that the first time around.

I looked at the objective section "nil' lines again, and maybe (as in finally!!!) a light bulb went off for me.

The original line for the first quest looked like this:

[8309] = {
Quest = [[Glyph Chasing|0|56|54|0|0]],
Start = "341|261|32|46.39|79.03",
End = "341|261|32|46.4|79.03",
Objectives = {
[1] = {
"nil|261|35|54.5|25.5|5.01|6.68",
},
[2] = {
"nil|261|35|42.5|56.5|5.01|3.34",
},
[3] = {
"nil|261|35|55.5|90|5.01|6.68",
},
},
},

I think the 3rd and 4th numbers are the coords so If I understand things correctly what the edited code for the two quests should look like is this:

[8309] = {
Quest = [[Glyph Chasing|0|56|54|0|0]],
Start = "341|261|32|46.39|79.03",
End = "341|261|32|46.4|79.03",
Objectives = {
[1] = {
"nil|261|35|58.2|78.6|5.01|6.68",
},
},
},
[8310] = {
Quest = [[Breaking the Code|0|56|54|0|0]],
Start = "342|261|32|46.02|79.32",
End = "342|261|32|46|79.33",
Objectives = {
[1] = {
"nil|261|35|58.2|78.6|5.01|6.68",
},
},
},

Would that be correct?

Last edited by Coasty : 10-21-13 at 06:53 PM.

10-21-13, 07:58 PM   #14
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
if the first objective was the remaining one after they changed the quest yes... if it's a case they removed objective 1 & 3... then the data would be wrong.

10-21-13, 10:40 PM   #15
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
if the first objective was the remaining one after they changed the quest yes... if it's a case they removed objective 1 & 3... then the data would be wrong.
Well, at least my belated brain cramp finally got the question right about where the coords get plugged in.

Seriously though, in this case I'm assuming that Objective 1 was the right one to keep, at least the right one for the quest "Glyph Chasing" (8309), but I'm not so sure about the quest "Breaking the Code" (8310) (I probably shouldn't have removed all those remaining Objective 1 "nil' lines).

Oh hell, it's gotten me sufficiently interested that I guess I'll just bring in a new character and go experiment a little and see for myself exactly what those "nil" lines are doing. Having Zygor's leveling guide running at the same time will make the experimenting a whole heck of a lot easier.

Last edited by Coasty : 10-21-13 at 10:51 PM.

10-22-13, 03:32 AM   #16
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Coasty View Post
in this case I'm assuming that Objective 1 was the right one to keep
No. The 1st and second ones were the ones removed. The 3rd one is the one with the coords for the crystal and Mistress Mar'alith at Hive Regal which is now where you kill a Silithid to get the brain for "Breaking the Code", click on the Crystal for "Glyph Chasing", and kill Mistress Mar'alith for "Into the Maw of Madness".

Oh hell, it's gotten me sufficiently interested that I guess I'll just bring in a new character and go experiment a little and see for myself exactly what those "nil" lines are doing. Having Zygor's leveling guide running at the same time will make the experimenting a whole heck of a lot easier.
If you'd like to take a shortcut, you can create a Death Knight which should be close if not right at the appropriate level after finishing the starting area. You can now create more than one on a server.

10-22-13, 04:29 PM   #17
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
If you'd like to take a shortcut, you can create a Death Knight which should be close if not right at the appropriate level after finishing the starting area. You can now create more than one on a server.
Good point, I'd forgotten about that.

Thanks...

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Changes to Quests51-60.lua File