01-16-09, 04:02 PM   #1
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

Trainer UI Interface

Sorry for being vague in the subject heading, but I was unsure how to word my request.

Does anyone know of a mod that permanently enables certain filters when you visit a trainer. When I visit a trainer, it allows me to see all the talents/abilities that I can learn, but when I don't want to see is the stuff that I learned back at level 10 or 100 for professions, I only want to see what I can learn now or in the future (i.e. green or red only). Blizz gives you an ability to filter out the "gray" abilities/talents, but if I select to filter those, close the UI, then reopen it the gray items are listed again. Anyone have a clue on this predicament? Thanks.
01-16-09, 06:37 PM   #2
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
think this already is an option in WoW ... at the t op of the trainer bar you can filter out what you want to see ... catalogs and things you don´t know and things you already know etc.
01-16-09, 06:44 PM   #3
Snoweh
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by aretziel View Post
think this already is an option in WoW ... at the t op of the trainer bar you can filter out what you want to see ... catalogs and things you don´t know and things you already know etc.
u clearly didnt read his post, he knows this
01-16-09, 09:31 PM   #4
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by aretziel View Post
Thanks, and you're right, it does allow you to select or deselect already learned, current, and future talents/abilities. The problem I have is that after selecting the filter(s) you want once you close the UI and then reopen it you have to reselect the specific filters again. I'd like it so that once specific filters are selected they stay selected even after closing the UI. I just find it annoying that once I learn a talent/ability I still have to wade through the early level ones to get to the current level ones... i.e. I don't want to wade through Level 10-70 talents to get to level 71+. There is just no need for them to be viewable after you learn them. This of course is just me.
01-18-09, 11:27 PM   #5
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

TrainerSkills does that, I think. And more. A lot more. Give this mod a whorl.

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.
01-19-09, 02:50 AM   #6
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

Automaton has it too
01-19-09, 10:05 AM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Looking at this thread again, I realize that I've never had to reselect not to show already known abilities. Looking in my WTF folder, Blizzard saved your selection to a saved variables file, so that it is remembered between sessions and applied account-wide. Mine says:
Code:
TRAINER_FILTER_AVAILABLE = 1
TRAINER_FILTER_UNAVAILABLE = 1
TRAINER_FILTER_USED = 0
Are you certain that you don't have anything else interfering with this function? Do you get the same behavior with all addons disabled?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-19-09, 02:07 PM   #8
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Seerah, I think (not 100% certain) that the problem is pretty much the abilty to block out skills they skipped over, because they weren't useful to them in one way or another.

Example: You are level 300 LW and are a Druid. You aren't using LW to make money at lower levels, nor do you intend to offer it in a broad sense. You only want the necessary skills to level up farther, and the ability to filter those skills that will not have a chance to skill you up (grey), or be useful to your class specifically (mail).

I may be wrong, but I think this is more specifically what the OP is looking for. The default Blizzard filters can't do this, unfortunately.
01-19-09, 03:55 PM   #9
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Looking at this thread again, I realize that I've never had to reselect not to show already known abilities. Looking in my WTF folder, Blizzard saved your selection to a saved variables file, so that it is remembered between sessions and applied account-wide. Mine says:
Code:
TRAINER_FILTER_USED = 0
Are you certain that you don't have anything else interfering with this function? Do you get the same behavior with all addons disabled?
After reading khurzog's post about Automaton I'm beginning to think that may be the case, I downloaded it a while back to make it easier to accept and turn in repeatable quests like in AV and I'm wondering if I set something in that by accident that is the cause for this. I'm going to take a look when I log in later and see. Just in case, what saved variables file did you look into for the above settings in case I can't find the problem in Automaton and want to manually change it in the saved file. Thanks.
01-19-09, 04:12 PM   #10
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Seerah, I think (not 100% certain) that the problem is pretty much the abilty to block out skills they skipped over, because they weren't useful to them in one way or another.

Example: You are level 300 LW and are a Druid. You aren't using LW to make money at lower levels, nor do you intend to offer it in a broad sense. You only want the necessary skills to level up farther, and the ability to filter those skills that will not have a chance to skill you up (grey), or be useful to your class specifically (mail).

I may be wrong, but I think this is more specifically what the OP is looking for. The default Blizzard filters can't do this, unfortunately.
Yes, you are right in a sense about your example, though for that issue I have my profession mod (Skillet) set to not show gray items when I open it to craft. My issue stems more towards the trainer itself. When you go to learn a new class ability or in this case a profession skill, at say 300... you get 3 "green" items that opened up for you to learn when you reached 300. What I'm looking for is a way to hide, permanently via the trainer UI, the gray items you already learned from 1-295, so all you see is the "green" present learn able items and the "red" future learn able items when you hit 305+. Blizzard has in the trainer UI a way to deselect the "gray" items already learned, but for some reason it will only stay deselected during that use of the UI. If I close it and reopen it, the "gray" items show up again. I want it so that they stay permanently hidden all the time for each session when I open up the trainer UI and never have to deselect the check box again for it, though I'm hoping from what khurzog and Seerah have suggested that either of those two ideas will work, I just need to test them out and see.
01-19-09, 07:11 PM   #11
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Ookami.kun View Post
Yes, you are right in a sense about your example, though for that issue I have my profession mod (Skillet) set to not show gray items when I open it to craft. My issue stems more towards the trainer itself. When you go to learn a new class ability or in this case a profession skill, at say 300... you get 3 "green" items that opened up for you to learn when you reached 300. What I'm looking for is a way to hide, permanently via the trainer UI, the gray items you already learned from 1-295, so all you see is the "green" present learn able items and the "red" future learn able items when you hit 305+. Blizzard has in the trainer UI a way to deselect the "gray" items already learned, but for some reason it will only stay deselected during that use of the UI. If I close it and reopen it, the "gray" items show up again. I want it so that they stay permanently hidden all the time for each session when I open up the trainer UI and never have to deselect the check box again for it, though I'm hoping from what khurzog and Seerah have suggested that either of those two ideas will work, I just need to test them out and see.
Ah, my mistake then.

I do know that my Class Trainer UI saves the filters I set.
01-19-09, 09:48 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Ookami.kun View Post
Just in case, what saved variables file did you look into for the above settings in case I can't find the problem in Automaton and want to manually change it in the saved file. Thanks.
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\account\Saved Variables\Blizzard-TrainerUI.lua
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-19-09, 10:26 PM   #13
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\account\Saved Variables\Blizzard-TrainerUI.lua
That's what I thought, and that seems to be the issue. For some reason WoW is not creating a Blizzard-TrainerUI.lua file, in fact the only file I'm seeing that has Blizzard's name it it is Blizzard_CombatLog.lua. This is definitely weird, makes me wonder what other files aren't being created. Thanks.

Last edited by Ookami.kun : 01-19-09 at 10:29 PM.
01-20-09, 01:19 AM   #14
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Interesting. I had thought to ask this myself actually. This cropped up for me after 3.0 went live, as previously the settings would be saved across all my characters and sessions. This doesn't happen anymore and it's rather annoying.

I looked for the Blizzard_TrainerUI.lua and I only have the lua.bak file, so I'm going to copy it and see if it will retain my settings. Thanks for the filename Seerah, and others for posting.

01-20-09, 06:17 PM   #15
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Gemini_II View Post
Interesting. I had thought to ask this myself actually. This cropped up for me after 3.0 went live, as previously the settings would be saved across all my characters and sessions. This doesn't happen anymore and it's rather annoying.

I looked for the Blizzard_TrainerUI.lua and I only have the lua.bak file, so I'm going to copy it and see if it will retain my settings. Thanks for the filename Seerah, and others for posting.
I did this myself yesterday by copying an old version of that file from a WTF backup I made since I've had trouble in the past of saved files getting corrupted and messing my UI up really bad. Any way, it doesn't seem to have helped since when I checked the folder after logging out the file seems to have been deleted. Seems the next step is to either check my mods, or do a total new install. We shall see.
01-11-16, 07:59 PM   #16
Lightstylez
A Kobold Labourer
I know this is an old thread but I've started having the same issue recently. When visiting profession/flying trainers etc they never save the filters I choose and always default to all off so it looks like I have nothing to learn. Both the addons listed in this thread haven't been updated in a very long time, does anyone know of any up-to-date replacements?

I'm not really certain what was meant by
Code:
TRAINER_FILTER_USED = 0
Can I add these options somewhere and fix the issue myself without need of an addon? I don't see Blizzard_TrainerUI.lua - not sure if that is even a thing anymore considering how old the thread is.
01-11-16, 08:32 PM   #17
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Lightstylez View Post
I know this is an old thread but I've started having the same issue recently. When visiting profession/flying trainers etc they never save the filters I choose and always default to all off so it looks like I have nothing to learn. Both the addons listed in this thread haven't been updated in a very long time, does anyone know of any up-to-date replacements?

I'm not really certain what was meant by

Can I add these options somewhere and fix the issue myself without need of an addon? I don't see Blizzard_TrainerUI.lua - not sure if that is even a thing anymore considering how old the thread is.
Interesting that you bring this up now, as I just started leveling an alt and noticed the same thing. It's been so long since I posted this that I had forgotten about it. I'll have to go in and take a look at my lua's. Since I no longer use any of the addons that were originally suggested in this thread, I'm not sure what the issue could be this time.

Edit: Went back to my WTF and Interface directories and renamed them*.bak. Launched WoW and loaded a character. Logged out, opened file explorer and dug down to D:\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\[Name]\SavedVariables. Only file created by the game was Blizzard_CombatLog.lua. Not sure what might be causing the problem unless it internal to the game.

Last edited by Ookami.kun : 01-11-16 at 08:49 PM.
01-12-16, 12:43 AM   #18
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It appears the entire filtering process has been moved to C side. Even though the UI still initializes these variables, they're not used anymore. It is still possible to make an addon to save filter settings, but without extensive testing, it's unclear how much code is needed.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Trainer UI Interface