01-19-08, 04:24 PM   #1
kthxbye
A Defias Bandit
installing UI addons trouble

im a newb and i dont really like the UI i found out that there were addons that you could get. but when i download them and put them into the addons folder they still dont work. if you have heard of cosmos, i have got that to work but not these recent ones. please could someone help. if u want any information i will give it to you =]

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns this is where they are

i just put them in as the compressed folders then extracted them, but im not an expert so i might be wrong

Tyrolit thanks, its fixed now.

Last edited by kthxbye : 01-20-08 at 08:05 AM.
01-19-08, 05:57 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f..._howto_install

folder-in-folder syndrome
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-19-08, 06:31 PM   #3
Stigmata
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
try them to unpack them they are packed up.

then you get new maps in your folder then they are visable in wow
01-19-08, 07:17 PM   #4
Tyrolit
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looking at his screen shot, the ziped folders have been unziped correctly

The only thing i can think of is cosmos, ive not touched it or gone anywhere near for a long time, but as i remember ( may be different now ) when you update cosmos, it disables all non cosmos addons

there is a way around this, i'd sugest looking on the cosmos site as i cant remember how to do it, something along the lines of creating back up folders or similar ( way too much hassle for me )

This may not be the problem, its late, im drunk, but if ive helped send me a cookie.if not then sorry .

edit looking again at screenie, yep sorry looks like folder in folder

eg. look in your bongos folder is there just 1 folder named bongos? if so cut and paste this to the addons folder and look for similar in your other folders your having problems with.

Last edited by Tyrolit : 01-19-08 at 07:43 PM.
01-19-08, 09:12 PM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Notice the zipper on them ... means they are still zipped up.

You need to move the zipped folder contents to the same place all those other folders are in.
01-20-08, 01:24 AM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Sepioth
Notice the zipper on them ... means they are still zipped up.

You need to move the zipped folder contents to the same place all those other folders are in.
If you look closely though the highlighted folders have unzipped versions above them.

Though i would still suggest taking the zip files out of the addon folder to remove confusion and doing the process over again. Alternately you can look in the folders for the addons you have highlighted and see if the actual files are in there or if you have as suggested above the folder in folder symdrome.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
01-20-08, 02:04 AM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55
If you look closely though the highlighted folders have unzipped versions above them.

Though i would still suggest taking the zip files out of the addon folder to remove confusion and doing the process over again. Alternately you can look in the folders for the addons you have highlighted and see if the actual files are in there or if you have as suggested above the folder in folder symdrome.

Good eye didn't notice that.

He does have a case of folder in folder syndrome.
01-20-08, 06:53 AM   #8
kthxbye
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Seerah
i tried that, the only thing i didnt try is clicking addons in the character selection screen. i did tha and the new addons werent there, only cosmos

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55

took the zipped folders out, no difference. and yes the regular folders do have the files in them.

Originally Posted by Tyrolit
Looking at his screen shot, the ziped folders have been unziped correctly

The only thing i can think of is cosmos, ive not touched it or gone anywhere near for a long time, but as i remember ( may be different now ) when you update cosmos, it disables all non cosmos addons

there is a way around this, i'd sugest looking on the cosmos site as i cant remember how to do it, something along the lines of creating back up folders or similar ( way too much hassle for me )

This may not be the problem, its late, im drunk, but if ive helped send me a cookie.if not then sorry .

edit looking again at screenie, yep sorry looks like folder in folder

eg. look in your bongos folder is there just 1 folder named bongos? if so cut and paste this to the addons folder and look for similar in your other folders your having problems with.
yes they said that in the cosmos website too, they said create a txt file like, <foldername>.nopatch i tried that and it didnt work, so im just going to delete cosmos and see if that works. =]

edit: forgot to thank you for all yoru replies =]

Last edited by kthxbye : 01-20-08 at 07:41 AM.
01-20-08, 07:24 AM   #9
kthxbye
A Defias Bandit

this is inside my bongos folder, i didnt make or any of the other folders indside it, all i did was set the installation in the addOns folder. so i dont see what could have gone wrong -.-

*cry*

edit.. this is not inside the zipped folder, i sent the zipped one to the recycle bin so all i had was the unzipped ones. this is inside the unzipped folder

Tyrolit thanks it was cosmos. i deleted it and now everything is working fine. i will make sure i send you a cookie.

Last edited by kthxbye : 01-20-08 at 08:04 AM.
01-20-08, 11:09 AM   #10
Sajomatic
Deuce Interfaces

Premium Member
The Folder that you are in, bongos2 1.10.1 is not the folder to go into your addons folder.
What is inside the bongos2 1.10.1 folder is what goes inside your addons folder.

Make sense?
Hope it helps...
01-20-08, 03:37 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Seerah
QFE - look at the instructions again.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-21-08, 12:37 AM   #12
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

For future reference, please post your results and replies at the end of the thread, instead of editing previous posts. I had to read this puppy twice to see that it was resolved.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » installing UI addons trouble