07-05-09, 12:59 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Another phishing scam

This one going on in-game on at least one server, possibly more. Guy whispers users about "The next patch has exciting new mounts. Go to wow-blizz.com for details." The site has a clone of the Blizzard log-in screen. You know where it goes from there.

As I've said before: Don't be dumb.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
07-05-09, 01:15 PM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Once you log in they ask for your email and secret question and answer, and the legal links points to some chineese site that is shut down.

edit: ofcourse I used username and password generated through the awesomeness of faceplanting your keyboard
07-05-09, 02:58 PM   #3
Sorian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Some of my guildies have also been getting in-game emails from people with names that closely resemble other guildies. It has a link to a site that serves the same purpose.
07-05-09, 06:23 PM   #4
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Thanks for the report.

You can also find a variety of email scams here: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...65511383&sid=1

This list gets updated with new encounters.
07-07-09, 02:59 PM   #5
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Tweaking my UI in Dal sitting on my turtle I get these pm's almost daily.. I never check em out but it's good to see a heads up about it here.

Another thing I've been seeing in trade is some keylogger if you whisper ppl selling epic BOEs... it doesn't seem possible, but is there any cred to this rumor or just paranoia?
07-07-09, 03:32 PM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Limb0 View Post
Tweaking my UI in Dal sitting on my turtle I get these pm's almost daily.. I never check em out but it's good to see a heads up about it here.

Another thing I've been seeing in trade is some keylogger if you whisper ppl selling epic BOEs... it doesn't seem possible, but is there any cred to this rumor or just paranoia?
I would think its just rumor. i would find it incredibly hard to believe you can get a key logger just from replying to a whisper. Considering that all the new types of gold spammers try talking to you first to get psat any filters i usually reply in a snarky way and then ignore them. Been doing that for well over a year and no loggers so far.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-07-09, 04:25 PM   #7
OttoDeFe
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I got this whisper from a level 1 toon named "Admin".

It was a "Yeah... sure... I'll get right on that..." moment. I was surprised "Admin" was allowed as a character name. You'd think it'd be on a blacklist somewhere.
but if there's a war
I just don't know if a Bic will save ya..."

-- Last Offence
07-08-09, 07:04 AM   #8
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
I would think its just rumor. i would find it incredibly hard to believe you can get a key logger just from replying to a whisper. Considering that all the new types of gold spammers try talking to you first to get psat any filters i usually reply in a snarky way and then ignore them. Been doing that for well over a year and no loggers so far.
Right on, I found it hard to believe too. As far as replying goes, I just move them into surgery and let my AutomaticGoblinTherapist chat with them
07-09-09, 03:18 AM   #9
gmhowell
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Limb0, that may be the coolest addon I have ever seen or heard of.
07-09-09, 05:53 AM   #10
Bellator
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I might suggest if you don't already have this software, download Malwarebytes. This program is free and please check out the internet reviews. It does all you need to stop and remove keyloggers for FREE! All it takes is logging to a suspicious site or even a forum following an external link. Once the keylogger is on you computer, well you know the story. Save your account.

Bellator

Mary-Chapin Carpenter
07-09-09, 08:15 AM   #11
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

I just saw this scam as I was leveling my healer Pali. ><

Guys, here are a couple things to remember as a rule of thumb about this stuff so you don't get caught by it:
1) Blizzard GM's will never send you a private message (whisper, tell, et cetera) to advertise something to you. That's what they have their site and the launcher screen for.
2) The genuine WoW sites will always begin with www.blizzard.com and www.worldofwarcraft.com. Anything related to WoW will begin and only begin with either of those two things. (Understand that to mean that sites that have a combination of those two things in the beginning of the url are not genuine sites. ) The beginning of all genuine Blizzard url's will also only end in ".com". If a site ends in any other extention (".net", ".org", ".cc", et cetera), it's a fraud!
3) Always report these tells as spam by using the Report Spam option in your chat UI. If enough people do this, it flags the account for Blizzard to review. I was talking with a GM, and I was informed that most of the level 1 toons that are sending the whispers are being created on and sent from accounts that have been hacked. If you report these guys, you're actually helping people who have been hacked to get their accounts back.
Always remember: if they're advertising cake, it's a lie!! Just thought I'd throw that stuff out there.

07-14-09, 04:24 AM   #12
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Might want to add here.

if you look the domain up on domaintools.com it should not come back as registered to some place in China
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-14-09, 05:05 AM   #13
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

figured a visual of what to beware of would be nice..

07-14-09, 08:19 PM   #14
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Limb0 View Post
figured a visual of what to beware of would be nice.
Rofl! You're pasted their text in twice, back-to-back, huh? That's a really pro advert right there.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Another phishing scam