09-23-12, 02:48 AM   #1
Nonus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Post Quest Tracker help

After playing GW2 and deciding to level up a new character for the new expansion, while questing i felt that the quest tracker that was showing my progress through the quest with number ie. 1/10 etc. was really boring after all these years. Then it came to me, GW2 uses a bar to show the progress without displaying the number which results in a different effekt on the player.
Now to the point: Why am i posting on the forum instead of actually writing the addon?
My reasons:
1. I have never fiddled around with the quest tracker.
2. After reading a couple of existing quest tracker addons (BetterQuest, QuestKing) i noticed that its too much for me to handle.
3. Lua is not my main language and i'm not very experienced with writing addons for WoW (I've made a couple of addons for my purposes: Bars, Minimap and unitframes using oUF).

So i come here, asking for help to create this addon to improve make my own and others questing experience.

For those who haven't seen GW2's progressbar i'll explain. The developers have replaced the numbers into a progressbar also hiding the numbers, for a single objective example: Find X 0/1, replaced with a radiobutton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_button) and for a single target: X slain 0/1, replaced with name and health bar of the target.

So basicly what is needed is:
Event hook to update the progress.
Bar texture instead of numbers and Health bar if its a Kill-On-Sight quest (I know that its not possible to monitor a mob's health several miles away, an easy workaround would be to have the bar filled until you actually see the target).
File based options (location, font etc) this is a key feature that i wish more developers would support.

I don't mind if anyone creates his own addon without any credits (Why would he, all credits are to ArenaNet for this idea. I'm just a who wants this in WoW)
If the reader decides to make his own addon without my knowledge then i would be grateful if the developer would make a post where he provides a link to the addon.

Any questions or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Last edited by Nonus : 09-23-12 at 02:58 AM.
09-23-12, 04:50 AM   #2
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd be kind of interested in seeing this as well. It's well outside of my abilities, else I'd give it a shot.

To those unfamiliar with how it works, I've uploaded 2 screenshots. One showing the bar, the other showing the animation flash when your complete an objective.

http://i.imgur.com/R9Gmc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jYQjL.jpg

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Quest Tracker help