09-08-12, 12:46 AM   #1
lostdreamer
A Murloc Raider
Alternatives to Carbonite

Wowinsider did a post today on addons and mentioned our dear old carbonite. It includes many alternatives. I just wanted to post this here so if anyone was interested in just bailing from carbonite alltogether, they can:
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/ad...addon-mailbag/

I, for one, appreciate that a fan is working on carbonite, but at this point, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and using alternative addons. I will miss this addon, but I have become WAY overdependent on it.

09-08-12, 01:08 AM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by lostdreamer View Post
Wowinsider did a post today on addons and mentioned our dear old carbonite. It includes many alternatives. I just wanted to post this here so if anyone was interested in just bailing from carbonite alltogether, they can:
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/ad...addon-mailbag/

I, for one, appreciate that a fan is working on carbonite, but at this point, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and using alternative addons. I will miss this addon, but I have become WAY overdependent on it.
>< I feel kinda famous being mentioned by name lol

09-08-12, 02:07 AM   #3
lostdreamer
A Murloc Raider
I was thinking it was pretty kick a** that they mentioned you as well, lol. They must be reading out little forums.

That website always ignored Carbonite before now, being the elitists they are, god forbid that they mention a popular addon.

I am testing out some of their "alternatives" now, I think I like most of them, but desperately want the quest/map from Carbonite. The other things do work well, I just want my map. SO need a standalone version of it.

09-08-12, 05:40 AM   #4
Xcari
A Fallenroot Satyr
Rythal's update works fine - see no need for alternatives at this point. Thanks Rythal, now famous on WoW Insider : )

09-08-12, 06:36 AM   #5
samatina
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Xcari View Post
Rythal's update works fine - see no need for alternatives at this point. Thanks Rythal, now famous on WoW Insider : )
Agreed, the addon is working fine for me as well, and I for one, LIKE all the extras that carbonite comes with, right down to the friends list and chat channels. I do think it's awesome though that another website is recognizing the work that Rythal is doing.

09-08-12, 08:19 AM   #6
Hexhiss
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by samatina View Post
Agreed, the addon is working fine for me as well, and I for one, LIKE all the extras that carbonite comes with, right down to the friends list and chat channels. I do think it's awesome though that another website is recognizing the work that Rythal is doing.
The patch from Rythal DOES work, but I am still having minor bugs with the minimap and pet dismissal on my hunter. I use nUI along with Carbonite and a few other addons, and this is the first time that I have had to turn carbonite off in order to change pets on my hunter. Is the author EVER going to update the original code to work with MoP?

09-08-12, 08:29 AM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Hexhiss View Post
The patch from Rythal DOES work, but I am still having minor bugs with the minimap and pet dismissal on my hunter. I use nUI along with Carbonite and a few other addons, and this is the first time that I have had to turn carbonite off in order to change pets on my hunter. Is the author EVER going to update the original code to work with MoP?
what happens when you try changing pets? curious about that because my main raiding toon is a hunter and have yet to have any issue's.

09-08-12, 08:42 AM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Also, try carbonite without nUI and nUI without carbonite. See whether it works in either or both cases. Might help hammer down which of the addons is having problems.

09-08-12, 08:47 AM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Also, try carbonite without nUI and nUI without carbonite. See whether it works in either or both cases. Might help hammer down which of the addons is having problems.
Hey now there's a man I would like to talk to about button bag... apparently carbonites not working with it anymore, what can I do to fix that?

09-08-12, 09:06 AM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
**Cough** you forgot the 'wo' part before man rofl.

What do you mean ? What is your button bag doing ? Or do you mean nUI's button bag ?

If you mean nUI's button bag I can't see any programmatic reason for it not to work. The only image paths nUI has inside the button bag code is the button bag icon itself and not the icons it contains. Unless Scott knows anything else it might be just another blizz bug.

09-08-12, 09:34 AM   #11
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
**Cough** you forgot the 'wo' part before man rofl.

What do you mean ? What is your button bag doing ? Or do you mean nUI's button bag ?

If you mean nUI's button bag I can't see any programmatic reason for it not to work. The only image paths nUI has inside the button bag code is the button bag icon itself and not the icons it contains. Unless Scott knows anything else it might be just another blizz bug.
yeah I didn't look at the username before hand :P sorry Ma'am. As for not working, from what people have reported to me, on a default run through using nui carbonites minimap button will not show, sometimes it appears for a few seconds then vanishes after a UI reload. If they toggle /nui BB and bring up the button bag, carbonite's icon appears and stays there working fine, but they get the current problems of green missing textures.

09-08-12, 10:03 AM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
rofl, no probs. Had it all my programming life. its usually a mans world and back in the late 90s early 00s even more so than now.

yeah, thats the problem that has hit since the expansion, so either they've glitched those images or they've changed how you can access them. If of course nUI accesses them which as yet I haven't seen.

Then again, I fixed it .. watch my signature for a link to the fix.

09-08-12, 10:11 AM   #13
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
rofl, no probs. Had it all my programming life. its usually a mans world and back in the late 90s early 00s even more so than now.

yeah, thats the problem that has hit since the expansion, so either they've glitched those images or they've changed how you can access them. If of course nUI accesses them which as yet I haven't seen.

Then again, I fixed it .. watch my signature for a link to the fix.
It's not so much the green missing textures, it's the fact if button bag is closed, carbonite's minimap icon refuses to display.
This is the sample I was sent, at the top should be carbonite's icon, but under nUI that doesn't happen.

09-08-12, 10:40 AM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Gotcha, yeah that the way the button bag works. It only displays the button inside the bag unless you tell nUI to not put it in there.

Try this:

Edit the buttonbag.lua file in nUI and add carbonite's button to this block of code in there:

Excludes =
{
["MiniMapMailFrame"] = true,

-- 5.0.1 Change Start - Frame name changes
--["MiniMapBattlefieldFrame"] = true,
--["MiniMapLFGFrame"] = true,
["QueueStatusMinimapButton"] = true,
-- 5.0.1 change End

["MinimapBackdrop"] = true,
["MiniMapPing"] = true,
["MiniMapCompassRing"] = true,
["MinimapZoomIn"] = true,
["MinimapZoomOut"] = true,
["MiniMapTracking"] = true,
["MiniMapWorldMapButton"] = true,
["GatherMiniNoteUpdateFrame"] = true,
["TimeManagerClockButton"] = true,
["FishingBuddyMinimapMenuButton"] = true,
["PoisonerMinimapButton"] = true,
["GameTimeFrame"] = false,
},

That should stop it from going in the button bag and keep it on the minimap, as long as you set the value to true to exclude it from the buttonbag. Let us know if it works and Im sure Scott will be fine with it being set up into the main nUI code.

09-08-12, 05:17 PM   #15
Hexhiss
A Murloc Raider

Well, when I disabled nUI I was able to dismiss my pet and switch with Carbonite running, then when I turn nUI back on and turn Carbonite off, I can dismiss and change pets, but with both runningm it does not let me dismiss pet. Obvviously, you cannot summon a new pet while one is active

09-08-12, 05:36 PM   #16
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yep, looks like a conflict. If I'm not sleepy tonight I may take a dabble at it to see what could be the problem. Otherwise it will have to wait till tomorrow. I don't use carbonite myself but I'll test it out and see if it kicks up anything that can give me a clue.

09-09-12, 12:01 PM   #17
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ah, I see the problem.

I assume you are using the right click menu to dismiss the pet ? If so there is the problem. Most unit frame addons aren't allowed to use the right click menu to do things such as inspect people or dismiss pets or set focus etc.

However there is another way of doing this. Hunters have an ability called dismiss pet. Simply put that on one of your bars somewhere and use that when you want to dismiss. perhaps next to your call pet button perhaps.

Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean. And as you can see I have carbonite and nUI running at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_090912_185515.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	7176  

09-09-12, 01:27 PM   #18
Haggisdog
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up Carbonite Alternatives

Thanks for sharing this, honestly Carbonite is such an amazing addition to the game I'm surprised Blizz didn't work something out with the authors to port this functionality into the product itself... the map alone is a massive improvement.

09-09-12, 02:27 PM   #19
vixenkitsune
A Murloc Raider
strange screen shots

ok in all the time i have played wow i have never seen wow set up like how i have seen in those screen shots they are so weird looking to me what are you using to make them so off from how normally looks?

09-09-12, 03:21 PM   #20
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by vixenkitsune View Post
ok in all the time i have played wow i have never seen wow set up like how i have seen in those screen shots they are so weird looking to me what are you using to make them so off from how normally looks?
nUI is the base in both those screenshots and 95% of the screen layout.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Alternatives to Carbonite