05-20-09, 09:35 PM   #1
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Flash based game UI.

Was just reading an article on our sister site and it looks like Jumpgate Evolution is going to have a flash based UI. I guess I'm not that familiar with flash and wondering what kinda limitations it would have versus just going blizzards way?

Any one here a flash and lua expert?

ZAM: From what we saw, the User Interface looked really customizable and like you guys had spent a lot of time polishing it and getting it ready for players to enjoy. What kind of support will you guys give the UI community and the UI modders?

Scott: We built it with the goal of letting people mod the UI. There's still a little bit more work to do that, so I don't know if it'll be ready at launch, but all of our UI is built in flash. This is with the idea that anybody can build something with Flash and put it in the game. Now, there are problems, for example, if you do certain things in flash that might cause the game to perform really slowly. We've still got to figure out how to educate people or how we verify this so that you don't make a mod that I download and my game experience is destroyed. We want it to be easier than that. I think that there will be some work to do, but the goal is that, eventually, people will be able to, using Flash, make their own UI.
Article: http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=18078

Last edited by Dolby : 05-20-09 at 09:39 PM.
05-21-09, 01:46 AM   #2
Bri-an
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
but does WoW Support Flash? if so, never known that
05-21-09, 02:16 AM   #3
kraftman
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
In my (fairly limited) experience of flash, it would be much easier to create nice animations and effects than lua, but also much easier to chew away at the CPU. There are also a massive amount of tutorials for flash, so It's probably more accessible to the average gamer.
05-21-09, 03:26 AM   #4
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Bri-an View Post
but does WoW Support Flash? if so, never known that
The answer to that is: No. WoW is built on XML and Lua. Blizzard is not known to use Flash or other Adobe/Macromedia formats in its products.
05-21-09, 02:24 PM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
I guess I am wondering more about the action script and what people may be able to do with it in a game.
05-21-09, 03:27 PM   #6
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I'm wondering if people will be able to make Flash games, a la Newgrounds, for use in-game. That would be funny, playing a Flash game within a real game.
05-27-09, 05:33 PM   #7
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I'm sure Blizzard is avoiding Flash with their UI structure deliberately because of the security scare about a year ago... or whenever it was. Maybe not, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Anyway, if PopCap Games made Peggle and Bejeweled for WoW, I'm sure there are a lot of Flash based games could be ported to WoW, it would take a lot of work, but I'm sure it could be done.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Flash based game UI.