01-03-07, 05:11 AM   #1
BoJlk
A Murloc Raider

High Memory usage

Hello,
I'm having trouble reducing the memory usage.
I start with 34 and it reaches 100 over sometime.

I have around 89 mods installed (this is a general number, part of them are packages)

It looks like a really high number of mods but i don't see myself playing without any of them.
Partial list:X-Perl, Titan Bar, Auctioneer, Extended Quest and Trade skills windows, Mobinfo, Metahud, metamap, etc'.

I will give the full list later.
I'm using the LoadIT mod for managing and disabling loaded mods to troubleshoot during the gameplay (just reloading the UI).
Except this i have a real LAG problem...

Is there any known mods that might cause this or something else i can try.

Last edited by BoJlk : 01-03-07 at 05:15 AM.
01-03-07, 05:56 AM   #2
lingering
A Cliff Giant

thats alot of addons, how much ram have you got? with that many addons ur pushing the PC alot. a general spec list of your PC would help
01-03-07, 09:10 AM   #3
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Just because its a lot of addons, doesn't mean he/she uses them all at once or for all characters. I used to have over 160 addon folders (some mods have multiple folders) . I have since shrank that number to 110 as of last night. I usually hovered around 60-70 mb. Now w/ 110 addons I have that memory usage down to about 35-40.

Ace mods helped me, but I like the way they work, not everyone does.

Out of the addons you mentioned, the Auctioneer pack and Metamap were the biggest memory hogs for me. Dropping those helped tremendously. As for alternatives, thats a hard one without knowing what you use some addons for. I switched to Cartographer from Metamap. Getting rid of Gatherer (big memory hog) hurt a lot, but Cartographer has its own plugin.

Just to let you know, Data Mining addons take the most memory.

I use a couple of addons to match Auctioneer's feature set, including 'Fence' and a few others. I have converted mostly over to Ace Based mods, which have helped greatly. I also switched to Fubar from Titan. Great addon imo, but ymmv. Post back if you have any questions or comments.

Last edited by PathMaster : 01-03-07 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Grammar & punctuation
01-03-07, 10:09 AM   #4
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I try using Ace or Ace2 AddOns because they seem to take up the least memory, which is good for me seeing as I only Have 256Mb of RAM.Panels such as FuBar and Titan Panel can use a lot of memory. Bar AddOns do use up a lot of memory. when I used to use Bartendar3,Xpearl Unit Frames, Simple Minimap, Atlas, atlas loot,Ct Mod, FuBar with about 15 plugins, and skinner, loading time enting the world(of warcraft) was about 5 minutes, My friend had about the same set up, and with his 2 GB of RAM he said it was about the same, So using a lot of addons slows down loading time, and using all of them when doing instances I was always tank and usually got in last. This si Why I stopped using most of my AddOns, now I only use Cartagropher, MiniCoords,VendorValues,sometimes DHUD, and Necrosis for my low level warlock.Now my loading time going inot the world of about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

I don't know if this helped you at all but I just wanted to post it for you and anyone else who is hvaing trouble with a lot of AddOns.Also a good graphics card can help, I only hvae a intel extreme graphics something or other, and only get about 8fps, 10fps at the most while moving.
01-03-07, 11:36 AM   #5
krinla
A Fallenroot Satyr

I think you can scale down your mods by combining what you can. Like instead of using Atlas and Gatherer, use Cartographer with the Gatherer plugin. Probably replace Titan with Fubar, but don't d/l fubar plugins just because they exist if they already have a GUI. Only load Auctioneer when you go to the auction house or on your bank toon. That takes up a lot of memory. Like they said, the data mining mods take most memory, so only load them when you use them, that might help.
01-03-07, 12:41 PM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Regarding load times. If you have a lot of Ace2 mods your loading time will be a bit slower then non Ace2 mods. This is due to the Ace2 mods loading the embeded libraries in each Ace2 mod. However once WoW has loaded and did its first garbage collection the amount of memory used will be less and Zone in times to instances and such will be quicker.
01-07-07, 08:55 AM   #7
rico413
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by PathMaster
I use a couple of addons to match Auctioneer's feature set, including 'Fence' and a few others.

I'm looking for an Auctioneer replacement, The only reason I use Auctioneer is for the quick Auction creation based on collected info and vendor markup. You mention fence, what does this do and what other addons did you use to get the Auctioneer functionality?
01-07-07, 03:45 PM   #8
BoJlk
A Murloc Raider

This is my MODS list and Computer specs as was requested:

MODs:
Accountant Continued by Quel
AdvancedTRadeSkillWindow
AlphaMap - Disabled
AtlasLoot Enhanced - Disabled
AtlasQuest - Disabled
Auctioneer
BeanCounter
Bongos Package
BuyEmAll
ChatMODS
CombatStats
DamageMeters
Dhask's FlightMap
Enchatrix
EnhTooltip
EquiptCompare - Disabled
Extended QuestLog
Guild Event Manager
Informant
KLHThreatMeter
LoadIT
MapLibrary
MetaHud
MetaMAp 11 of 13 - Disabled
MobInfo-2
OmniCC
Poisoner - Disabled
Recipe Radar - Disabled
ScrollingCombatTest
Simple Combat Log
SpecialTalent
Spell Master
Spell MAster [DATA]
Stubby
StupidMount
TitanPanel
vBagnon
WeaponQuickswap - Disabled
X-Perl UI Frames 6 of 15 - Disabled
ZeppelinMaster

Computer Cpecs:
Pentium D 930 \ 2048 DDR2 \ ATI Radeon 1800 \ 160 SATA2
01-03-07, 03:42 PM   #9
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Two of your biggest problems are Auctioneer and Meta Map. both of those addons I have used in the past and trashed. They are huge memory hogs. Meta map, imo, is huge and unnecessarily bloated. Alpha Map has been a successful alternative for me. Still a large addons, but not such a huge memory sucker. Auctioneer has WAY too many dependencies. Enhanced tool tip, stubby...informant.....bleh. Huge, bloated, and KC Items by the Ace Team is a better, lower memory cost alternative.

X-Perl Unit Frames is one of the best mods out there IMO, but turn off the parts you're not using. For instance, if you are not raiding, turn off the monitors and leader utilities. Turn off the Team Speak part of it(that's just not even needed IMO). And if you're not a healer in the BGs, turn off the raid frames. Only turn those things on when you need them.

While I agree with some of the posters about Ace2 mods, they are NOT always the best alternative and I've tested MORE than a few. I do not use all Ace2 mods and have the least memory useage now than I have previously on an ALL Ace2 based UI. Defiantly download Warmup, from the Ace team, and monitor the load times and size of the files you're using. Also, try to cut down on the Titan bar plug-ins, I know it doesn't seem like much, but they DO add up and chances are, you can probably get by without half of them. Same with Fubar. For me, FuBar was a bigger memory problem than Titan, so I use Titan now, but minimalistically so. The tradeskill and quest log extenders, IMO are fluff. before they were made, we didn't use them, so chances are, you could get by without those too.

At one time, I had over 92 addons. Once I started seeing what effects that had on Framerate, memory useage and load times though, I stopped that real quick. I play with about 20 some now, total. And am an alt-o-holic. There are ways to trim down the amount you need.
01-07-07, 05:24 AM   #10
BoJlk
A Murloc Raider

First let me thank you for you replies.
Your devotion to ask me what's wrong is really appreatiated.

I've tried other Forums like the Official WOW forum and got silence and ignorance.

I've recently discovered a great tool LoadIT which let's me disable mod during the gameplay and just reloading the UI to make the effect.
So i've disabled everything i don't need in X-Perl and titan bars.
When i'm not in Raid and not in a Party i've disabled the mods in X-Perl for that.
i haven't disabled anything in the Titan bar and beside Stanceset mod.

I have approximately 20 mods loaded now.

Auctioneer has a different problem.
Because it's Load on Demand so it's never working in the background and it has another 4 mods.
Stubby, Enhanced tooltip (i think), Enchantrix, Informant.
Those mods are really helpfull and fun for me.
It's stil Beta version i believe.

I've heard about the Ace alternative and never used any of them.
My loading time is about 20~40 seconds.

So diabling some of the mods didn't helped much
The MEM usage goes up but not that fast as before it starts from 35 MB and grows by 0.002 MB every second.
Before disabling any of the mods i had something around 0.030 per second growth.

Last edited by BoJlk : 01-07-07 at 05:29 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » High Memory usage