09-09-08, 05:40 AM   #1
Amaru
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Auctioneer still worth a crap?

I've heard from some guild mates that swear by it's prices, and others that say it's garbage.
09-09-08, 06:40 AM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Auctioneer does not come with preset prices. You have to use it's scan feature and it grabs information from whats already out there at the Auction House.

Auctioneer is far far from garbage
09-09-08, 08:28 AM   #3
SeiferTim
A Fallenroot Satyr

I use Auctioneer all the time - specifically, I've got a Banking alt setup that takes all the 'junk' from my Guild Bank and drops it in the Ah. On an average day, I make about 25 gold. On a good weekend, after I've farmed a bunch of stuff, I can make more than 200 gold.

The thing to remember is that Auctioneer's prices are based on what items sell for on your server, and in order to know this, you need to scan, and scan, and scan the Ah to make sure you've got the latest values for things. When you're selling things, the Appraiser tab makes it easy to just scan for the items your selling at the time, but if you're looking to have a listing of all the prices for all the items, you have to scan as often as possible to get any data that you can use - and even then, items that are rare, or don't get put in the Ah very much can show either no price, or a price that's off - you just have to pay attention.
09-09-08, 10:37 AM   #4
Hhoky
A Fallenroot Satyr

I use Auctioneer also. I swear by it. As the previous poster stated, It uses YOUR servers prices, but only if you preform a scan first. As opposed to using say Thotbott for price checks, which pulls the 'average' cross server prices and may not reflect your servers economy. It really lets you stay current with the fluctuations in prices from any given day/week to get the most buck for your junk. ^.^
I also have a "bank" character that I use to do Guild bank, as well as bank work for my toons. Its invaluable to me.
You only need to run the scan once a day, on any character as the prices will show up on any character with Auctioneer loaded, as long as they are the same faction/server.
I run a scan every morning, usually while I go get food or start the laundry, when I'm done so is the scan. Easy.
It comes in handy for Guild or Trade chat Price Checks or when deciding resale prices for anything, loot drops, profession made goods, stackable goods etc. It also helps you save money by never having to pay more than you should, since the prices are right there at your fingertips.
I personally use Auctioneer Classic, it was the first I used and I got used to the clean look of it, but its really up to your own taste.
Auctioneer gets 2 thumbs up from me.
Happy Gaming!

09-09-08, 12:27 PM   #5
Carz
nUI User-Supporter

scan the AH for a week or so and you tell us because auctioneer is the sh*t i have use it since i start playing WOW

I use Auctioneer all the time - specifically, I've got a Banking alt setup that takes all the 'junk' from my Guild Bank and drops it in the Ah. On an average day, I make about 25 gold. On a good weekend, after I've farmed a bunch of stuff, I can make more than 200 gold.
i do the same thing and they luv me for it b/c i dump the gold i make back in
09-09-08, 03:06 PM   #6
SeiferTim
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Carz View Post
scan the AH for a week or so and you tell us because auctioneer is the sh*t i have use it since i start playing WOW

i do the same thing and they luv me for it b/c i dump the gold i make back in

Well, since my 'guild' is made up of me, my Fiancé, and our endless army of level 1-50 alts, the money we make in the Ah with Auctioneer is very handy for saving up for our Epic Flying mounts (which I'm still working on...)
09-09-08, 03:14 PM   #7
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Auctioneer is what you make of it. Like previous posters said, you need to regularly scan the AH to let it build a database of prices for your server. I used to swear by Auctioneer myself but stopped using it once it became a memory pig, and switched to KC_Items. Try it, and if it works for you great, if not try KCI, if not... then i don't know of another addon that comes close unfortunately.

09-09-08, 03:20 PM   #8
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
I designed the system Auctioneer Advanced uses today to combine all of the suggested prices from its modules myself. You be the judge of how well it works:

http://wiki.norganna.org/Market_Price

That's all I'm going to say.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
09-09-08, 10:24 PM   #9
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Auctioeer has a fairly advanced method to find the "market" value of items. Unfortunately it's also prone to being "screwed with" by other players... especially with enchanting mats since there is no deposit fee. It can give you a damn good estimate of what an item is worth, but you shouldn't rely on what it tells you alone. You should pay close attention to the other prices on the AH when you're posting. It can help with this as well, it have a nice view that will pull down all the auctions up so you can judge if the price is a good one to use.

You might find all this a little much however. I've personally found a system that works great for me... only care about the lowest price for an item. Yes, I am losing out on a little bit of money by not using the "average"... but it's much easier to manage, and takes a lot less memory to pull off. Auctioneer used more memory than all my other addons combined. While I understand why it does, and I'm not at all saying Auctioneer is bad... I just tend to like simple solutions, and Auctioneer is far from simple.

Give it a whirl, see if you like it. If you don't, then don't use it. Don't waste your time with other people's opinions, form your own!
09-10-08, 09:25 AM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Like Tekkub, I've found that Auctioneer is a bit much for me as well. So, I've replaced the bits I liked about it with other addons. Item vendor prices (Sellfish), item info in the tooltip (Mendeleev), and a quick search plus recommended price (Auctionator).

But, also like Tekkub said, try it yourself to see if you like it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-10-08, 10:06 AM   #11
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I never realized Shirik was behind Auctioneer Market Price. Small UI world

Tekkub is probably right regarding the complexity behind the scene, but as far as usage is concerned I find it pretty easy and efficient. I am not the kind to scan the AH every hour and I still get decent pricing I think. Basically all I do is a full scan once or twice a week, plus some search for specific items every now and then. Whenever I have things to sells I just use Appraiser "Market Value" without really checking prices further than that.

Like I mentioned recently in another thread I am convinced some people actually "exploit" auction addons virtually inflating prices so that any automated valuation will be fooled, regardless the math and formulas used behind the prices. Then if you do not pay attention you either pay too much or overprice your own auctions. I guess it all comes down to how much time and attention you want to spend at the AH versus how much money you will actually get back.
09-10-08, 12:18 PM   #12
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Kaomie View Post
Like I mentioned recently in another thread I am convinced some people actually "exploit" auction addons virtually inflating prices so that any automated valuation will be fooled, regardless the math and formulas used behind the prices. Then if you do not pay attention you either pay too much or overprice your own auctions. I guess it all comes down to how much time and attention you want to spend at the AH versus how much money you will actually get back.
Well, not "any"... if you use the min price there's really nothing to exploit. If they try to drive the price down the same way they try to drive the price up, people will buy their cheap stuff up quickly and it won't end up in your history. If you keep no history and simply use the current AH prices, it's even harder.

This is the method I use. It's very low memory use, it's effective, the only "cost" is that I make slightly less money than I would with auctioneer's prices. But that's something I'm very willing to live with, since I found that when I did use auctioneer, even though it's aiming to keep the "average" price, my markup/markdown settings tended to make it always undercut unless the price had become horribly inflated.
09-10-08, 12:46 PM   #13
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I guess this would work as long as not everyone is doing the same

And like you said you are probably loosing a bit of money, since some people are always cutting prices for whatever reason they have. For example I am thinking ores which nowadays are usually priced high because of the strong demand to level various professions (I just leveled engineering and blacksmithing which reminded me the amount of copper / tin you need is just huge) while the supply is limited I suppose because of less lower level content farming. I was leveling some additional alts to prepare for WotLK and selling the extra stuff, and everytime I checked the AH there were some items listed for maybe half the price compared to the majority. If you notice that you quickly discard those and get to the actual lower end of the price brackets, but like I said it depends on how much attention you want to put in.

I guess it all depends on your local realm economy and market stability at that point. Various addons will work more or less accurately and yield different results I am sure. I play on an old, well establish realm where the economy is very dynamic, and Auctioneer works great. I also play on a recent low population realm and it is mostly useless because prices greatly depend on whatever the daily offer is.

Last edited by Kaomie : 09-10-08 at 01:08 PM.
09-10-08, 12:52 PM   #14
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Here's what I find... over time I get to know the general prices of the things I sell. I go to post up say, some shards. I see that the price my addon is giving me is 15g and they're usually 20g+... so I go buy the 15g ones, and sell all my crap for 20g (minus 5s to undercut)

*grin*
09-10-08, 01:28 PM   #15
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Shards work pretty well for that. I remember helping a Pally friend farming Stratholme for some reason, probably whatever cloth drops there, and he let me keep all the blue drops. They DE into Large Brilliant Shards which were already priced ridiculously high for their level because of the short supply. Since with various 70 you have some cash to play with, for a couple days I bought whatever would show up on the AH and sell them back along with mines. You are right, you do not need any AH addon when you set the price

Last edited by Kaomie : 09-10-08 at 01:31 PM.
09-10-08, 01:33 PM   #16
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Well, I do have an addon that tells me basic stats and will do the undercutting for me... I just pay attention to the prices and if I see one that looks a little low... I correct it

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Auctioneer still worth a crap?