05-16-09, 07:23 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Update: 16 May

Shirik may come in and correct me on this but ...

I don't think we're going to make our target of having the first Beta version ready for tomorrow (17 May).

We had something come up last week that we weren't expecting, so one of the things that we wanted to have in place and tested before we released it to all of you got bumped back.

Now, as I said, he may come in and correct me, but I think we are probably looking at bumping it back at least one week (24 May), possibly more.

Sorry guys.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-16-09 at 07:26 PM.
05-16-09, 07:37 PM   #2
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That's why me, and many others, do not like giving out "ETAs" on things being released in the future. It only gives false hopes. Most often ETAs are not reached (go figure ).

Not a problem for me; a good product needs time.
05-16-09, 07:39 PM   #3
kraftman
A Theradrim Guardian
Probably a good thing for me, I'm sure I would have spent all day playing with it instead of revising, now it'll be out when my exams are over!
05-16-09, 07:45 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yeah, we were really hesitant about giving a target date, but we were getting so much pressure ...
05-16-09, 08:04 PM   #5
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Yeah, we were really hesitant about giving a target date, but we were getting so much pressure ...
I am certainly excited about seeing Minion happen, but I want to see it happen well. Nintendo had a good idea in coming out with mini-disc technology for their systems, but they rushed it, and GameCube happened. I'd rather not see Minion turn into GameCube.

I have high expectations, and I'm willing to be patient enough to see them met. ^^

/support
/hug

05-16-09, 08:33 PM   #6
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
I have to say I don't exactly agree with Cairenn here, and still think it can come out tomorrow. However, I'm all with you guys in that I don't want to release a poor implementation.

A few things do need to be addressed, however I still think we can hit the 17th. We'll see how things go.

I still want to hit that date.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-16-09, 08:41 PM   #7
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I fully support whatever you guys need to do to get this right, ie making it the highest quality updater you can. If that means delaying it a week, then speaking for myself please do it. The WM supporters are going to be in flamethrower mode whatever you do, but the real supporters of this site will wait patiently for however long it takes.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-16-09, 08:53 PM   #8
jundo
A Murloc Raider
Smile

I'm new to the community, but still want to put in my 2 cents. I'm absolutely dieing for a unerversal updater. I recently read the article about the {NASTY WORD} updater that was pillaging everyones addon databases, and while it was the most "universal" updater available at the time I quit using it when I found out what it was really doing. Now I either have to update manually (in the case of most of the addons I draw on from this site) or with multiple updaters for the various other sites I download from.

The idea of a truly usefull, safe, accepted, universal updater that the addon sites all accept is the most wonderful thing I can think of. Yes I want it more than any addon I've ever used, but I want it to be fully capable. Just the idea that it is being worked on brings me peace of mind. I'm a patient person and feel that it's better to wait for quality than to take something now just cause it'll do the main thing I want, when it might have bugs that make it not fully functional.

It's ok if you don't make it out on the 17th, I know that when you let it out it will be wonderful.
05-16-09, 10:14 PM   #9
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I'd rather have it late and working correctly than have it on the day that was set, though if I remember correctly it was mentioned that the date was not set in stone, and it breaking every 10 start ups.

I'd actually be more worried about the reputation that would get generated if you released a crappy product on time over releasing a great product a little late.

We've waited this long, what's another few days? The important thing is there's plenty of progress reports being made so people actually see work getting done and you've mentioned what still needs to be done.
05-16-09, 10:18 PM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by septor View Post
I'd actually be more worried about the reputation that would get generated if you released a crappy product on time over releasing a great product a little late.
Exactly our concern. Even though it'll be Beta, people will still use it and make their determination on whether or not it's "crap". Once something is labeled "crap", even if it's known that it's Beta, it's bloody hard to change that perception of it.

I appreciate everyone being understanding, though. We're still fighting over it in the staff channel, whether we go with it tomorrow or wait ....
05-16-09, 10:22 PM   #11
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Exactly our concern. Even though it'll be Beta, people will still use it and make their determination on whether or not it's "crap". Once something is labeled "crap", even if it's known that it's Beta, it's bloody hard to change that perception of it.
Late release dates are rarely remembered. Terrible launches are (applies to more than one type of launch!).
05-16-09, 10:35 PM   #12
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Late release dates are rarely remembered. Terrible launches are (applies to more than one type of launch!).
Oh yeah! People never remember all the times that the space shuttle launched a day or two late, but they can tell you right where they were and what they were doing when those two were destroyed.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-17-09, 02:26 AM   #13
Kofetek
A Fallenroot Satyr

It's cool if the beta release date isn't met, it's better to have a working product a little later than a crappy product now! I'm pretty sure we can all wait and you don't have to rush it Shirik

First, you try to relax, then you find yourself laughing manically and chewing on a red bull can.
05-17-09, 02:45 AM   #14
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Same here im exited about the new Minion Updater (mostly cause i like new shiny things.. i and i like to play with new shiny things...)

but a quality release is better than a rushed haphazard release!

take some time! do it right! we will all be here
05-17-09, 03:33 AM   #15
FrankN
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Whenever I read 'Late release date' I have to think about John Romero and Daikatana. I wonder why
05-17-09, 03:37 AM   #16
zandoz
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by FrankN View Post
Whenever I read 'Late release date' I have to think about John Romero and Daikatana. I wonder why
Yeah, why should you thinka bout that.......
05-17-09, 04:25 AM   #17
Bri-an
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Unhappy

Ah no i really wanted to try MMOUI Minion
05-17-09, 05:08 AM   #18
zandoz
A Murloc Raider

Yeah, can't wait till it's online for open-beta 1
05-17-09, 05:16 AM   #19
cannons
A Defias Bandit
can't wait for this
isn't today 17.May
05-17-09, 05:32 AM   #20
zandoz
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by cannons View Post
can't wait for this
isn't today 17.May
|Yes, but I think they live in the US orsomething, if you read the post times.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Update: 16 May