08-06-07, 02:37 PM   #1
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Libraries -- Is It Ok to Have Them All Loaded and Enabled?

Hey guys,

I had, once upon a time, went and downloaded the Standalone Libraries from WoWAce so that, in essence, I have all of those libraries on my machine and enabled.

I can't imagine that I actually --NEED-- all of those libraries on and enabled, and am not sure if they would cause my machine to load up slower, etc.

Most of my addons are Ace-based, so I use the updater frequently. What would you suggest I do in order to "slimline" my addon list? Is it ok for me to have all of the libraries on my machine and enabled? Do they work like "Load on Demand" addons, or do they load on start up?
Stormreaver (US), Alliance
08-06-07, 02:51 PM   #2
Wikwocket
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Some libraries will be load on demand, some will load anyway. If you use AddOnLoader, some others will be load on demand as well if I understand it correctly.

You may be increasing your login time with all the libraries, and your FPS (especially in raids), but if those are not unacceptable you would be fine to leave it as-is.

If you want to slim it down, I believe you can delete the libraries, just check the AddOns you want in the WoW Ace Updater, and select to download them. By default, Ace addons come with the libraries they need embedded within themselves.
08-06-07, 03:05 PM   #3
Geboran
Well... it was the goal to load the libraries so that I would only have one (1) copy of them; I didn't want to have the addons have a copy of the library as well.

My FPS during raids and Battlegrounds gets to be rather challenging, so I figured that having all of the libraries loading would be helping with causing FPS loss.

So... is it better to have the libraries loaded in their own folders, or should I have the WoWAceUpdater update the addons and have the libraries load within each folder as needed?

I'm not sure what the optimal settings for the WoWAceUpdater should be. That's probably another reason for my FPS loss.
08-06-07, 03:06 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Delete all of your library folders and uninstall !!SAL. Select these options in WAU ( http://wowace.com/wiki/WowAceUpdater...tic_Everything ) and select Reinstall All Addons. Then you'll only get the libraries that your mods use.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-06-07, 03:57 PM   #5
Geboran
This will be worth a try.

So... the process should look like this, right?:

1. Delete all Library addons.
2. Delete Standalone Libraries and SAU Libraries
3. Reinstall all Addons (Ctrl-F10)

If I do this, how do I update the addons in the future?

Do I (after marking the addons I want updated -- usually just hit F4 to select all of them):

1. Update Installed/Marked Addons WITHOUT Externals (Shift-F12)
2. Update Installed/Marked Addons WITH Externals (Ctrl-F12)
3. Update Installed/Marked Addons (F12)

It looks like it's a pretty easy fix. I just want to make sure that I update correctly from here on out. I appreciate the assistance.
08-06-07, 04:18 PM   #6
Vynista
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Seerah i am not sure if its just me or not but with the latest version of the wowaceupdater after checking those options and reinstalling it still installs the externals , which if i am not mistaken makes the addons have the libs folder inside the addon folder . i don't remember it doing this when u had default mode set to no externals . Maybe the new version has a bug or something .
08-06-07, 04:23 PM   #7
Geboran
I think by default it does exactly that.

I think that I had gone into the Preferences section to change that.... because I was trying to *NOT* have duplicates of the library files within the addons' folders themselves.

I don't know if it tries to load the libraries -- basically -- twice, when the library folders are in both locations. If that is the case, then I definitely want to run them so that they are accessing the main library folders that !Standalone Libraries lets you set up.
08-06-07, 08:50 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
In the lower right of the WAU window, it will tell you what it's default mode is - with or without. You can pick which in the options, or WAU will automatically detect !!SAL. Also, in the list of addons you have installed, there is either a +, - or ? next to the version number. That means with, without, or unknown.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-07-07, 07:51 AM   #9
Geboran
Originally Posted by Geboran
This will be worth a try.

So... the process should look like this, right?:

1. Delete all Library addons.
2. Delete Standalone Libraries and SAU Libraries
3. Reinstall all Addons (Ctrl-F10)

If I do this, how do I update the addons in the future?
I ended up doing steps 1, 2, and 3. I --think-- I deleted all of the Library files, but, when I went to do step #3, it seemed to put the Library files back on.

Originally Posted by Geboran
Do I (after marking the addons I want updated -- usually just hit F4 to select all of them):

1. Update Installed/Marked Addons WITHOUT Externals (Shift-F12)
2. Update Installed/Marked Addons WITH Externals (Ctrl-F12)
3. Update Installed/Marked Addons (F12)

It looks like it's a pretty easy fix. I just want to make sure that I update correctly from here on out. I appreciate the assistance.
I did step #3 here and it chose to install the library files back on. The weird thing, though, is I think that it also added some library files to some addons (within their folder) instead of adding a library file in the main Addons directory.

Weird.

I didn't get a chance to really plan in a raid last night, though, to see if the FPS is any better.
08-07-07, 09:00 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Did you change your preferences like I said to?

08-08-07, 07:52 AM   #11
Geboran
Yes I did.

And.... just to put my mind at ease.... I checked each folder to see whether there was a libs folder included in any of them. There was not.

So... I have the Libs installed as separate addon folders, and my performance seems to have increased pretty good.

I have a hard time getting my FPS to go past 30 though. >.<

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Libraries -- Is It Ok to Have Them All Loaded and Enabled?