10-19-09, 07:44 PM   #1
ShadowProwler420
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

How Does It Work?

I don't necessarily need to know the fine details of it, but how does Minion determine what addons need to be updated? Whatever means it uses to do so, I believe it may be flawed.

Out of the 46 addons it detected, it found 10 that it apparently determined needing to be updated. However, that is not the case. I keep the zipped files of all my addons to be sure I have to most recent versions (of course, I have them all marked as favorites here as well) and verified I already have the newest versions of the addons it said needed to be updated.
10-19-09, 07:56 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
First time running addons by authors that have different version numbers in the toc or exclude the version number in the toc minion flags it as needing an update, after that it can keep track on its own via its own database and using hashes to see if the file on our end has changed.

Last edited by Dolby : 10-19-09 at 07:58 PM.
10-19-09, 10:43 PM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
On the first pass, Minion has no idea what your current version is. If it cannot guarantee itself with a high amount of certainty that you are in fact running the current version, it will assume it is out-of-date and reinstall. After that, it will remember the current version and proceed as you would expect.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
10-20-09, 04:30 AM   #4
ShadowProwler420
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks for the explanation guys.

So I should allow Minion to update what it finds so it knows for sure the most recent version of the addon is being used? Alrighty then!

One more thing I would like to mention is that I use nUI+, but the update Minion finds for it is the nUI core version (also known as nUI Lite). I don't know if this is something the author needs to address or if it is a bug that the Minion dev team should address, but I thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: Now that I look at things a little closer and compare available versions of everything, I think the update Minion is actually finding is the Beta PTR (Public Test Realm) version of nUI+. Minion, however, labels the update as being associated to nUI Lite.

Last edited by ShadowProwler420 : 10-20-09 at 12:50 PM.
10-20-09, 09:09 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
(Currently, at least) Minion has no way of knowing if you have access to download nUI+.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » How Does It Work?