06-06-07, 06:11 AM   #1
Xanithon
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
My rant about VoIP again

Voice Chat in 2.2.0 Says WoWInsider!
Comments? Flames? Opinions? All welcome here!

Voice Chat Coming in 2.2.0 Patch

Last edited by Xanithon : 06-06-07 at 06:14 AM.
06-06-07, 11:10 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Will add a wonderful new dimension of people complaining for not using it. I dont mind it in truly useful situations. Raids, complicated instances and so on. Ive had people fight with me for a few minutes cause they wanted me to get vent/ts for just running around. Should be interesting to see the result. Give the kiddies new toys and the party will get more interesting.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
06-06-07, 01:55 PM   #3
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I didn't feel like reading the whole article, so does the VoIP run on blizzard's bandwidth or your's? If it's on the player's bandwidth it might be worse than teamspeak or ventrilo

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-06-07, 02:49 PM   #4
Justgiz
An Aku'mai Servant
My RANT :D

how will the different channels be set up, will it just be in group or raid. will there be one for say, guild, all your custom channels who knows how its gonna work.

and if there is one for "say", how are you gonna get around all those people who will always be doing the voice chat. and will there be a area of effect type thing where when they are far away their volume is turned down. or off.

what about personal one on one, like a tell. what if you wanna talk to 5 people privately. how is that gona work. also how are they gonna spam protect that? just wait your gonna be waiting for a dungeon some where, than BAM you get gold spamed. "OMG OMG THE NOISE, HOW DO I STOP IT. HELP AHHHH"

and what about the press-to-talk button, will you have to have a button for each of those channels. that is a lot of buttons to remember.

there just isn't enough info to know what is to come. this would be a lil good for some guild that cant afford the VOIP servers, and thoes pugs where no one has a VOIP server to use.

(takes breath wow that was long )
06-06-07, 03:16 PM   #5
jackbytor
A Fallenroot Satyr

There was a small article about this in the new issue of Games For Windows magazine. With the VOIP Blizz puts into the game an overlay will be built in so whoever is speaking their name will light up, plus the voice chat will be put into different channels from the games music, meaning that you can have the games sound and music go thru your speakers, while the voice chat pipe just thru your headset. Or the music can be automatically supressed once someone starts speaking. It will be first limited to parties and raids, but other custom channels will be coming soon. As for the bandwidth issue? nothing was said about that.

This is nice, but the new in-game Guild banks are what I'm really looking forward to. But thats for another thread.
06-06-07, 05:39 PM   #6
Lopeppeppy
A Theradrim Guardian

I too am very worried about the WoW VOIP. I don't like the idea of, basically, General Chat in my VOIP channel! Our Vent server has a lot of tiny rooms set up just so that we can do quiet 5 mans without interruption, whatever. And where the bandwidth is going to come from is also a worrisome thing.

I'm looking forward to the 2.2 test realm so I can poke into this a LOT more. But I doubt I'll find it more private, configurable and easy to use than the current Vent server my group rents.
06-08-07, 11:24 PM   #7
Xanithon
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Quality vs. Bandwith.

I'm guessing that the VoIP will be run on the Blizzard Bandwith, 'twill mean that Lag^^^^^Rises.

Also, i'm also guessing that there will be a 'World Mute' button to be introduced with this, just so the older players don't get the 7yr old kid screaming 'OMG FIZZLE IS KILLING ME!! AAAAAHHH!!! SOMEONE HELP.

I hope that a Channel system is also implemented, so that Barrens chat won't hurt my ears.

Vent and TS might go out of business, but some 'old-school-raiding-guilds' might stick with good old Vent.

06-09-07, 07:40 AM   #8
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't even got o the barrens anymore..that's how much i hate the barrens chat..

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » My rant about VoIP again