06-14-11, 01:35 AM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Anyone editing lua on OS X Lion?

I'm running the developer preview of Lion and everything works great, but there's one minor thing that really annoys me. I use TextEdit to edit lua files a lot, but whenever a .lua file gets saved now, it gets converted into .txt because of the new saving system.

Is there anyone that knows a workaround to this other than having to manually edit the file extension every time?

I'd rather not use an other app for coding if possible unless it's really lightweight. I love how fast and simple TextEdit is and I don't need any other faff.

Thanks.
06-14-11, 05:45 AM   #2
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
I'm running the developer preview of Lion and everything works great, but there's one minor thing that really annoys me. I use TextEdit to edit lua files a lot, but whenever a .lua file gets saved now, it gets converted into .txt because of the new saving system.

Is there anyone that knows a workaround to this other than having to manually edit the file extension every time?

I'd rather not use an other app for coding if possible unless it's really lightweight. I love how fast and simple TextEdit is and I don't need any other faff.

Thanks.

Try Notepad++ its awsome.
06-14-11, 05:49 AM   #3
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
That's Windows only.
06-15-11, 03:02 AM   #4
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
You might take a look at Vico, a new text editor that shows quite a bit of promise: http://www.vicoapp.com/. Personally I use MacVim for all of my editing, that way I have a consistent vim config between all of my machines.

There's quite a few editors and they should all be more than capable!
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
06-15-11, 04:17 AM   #5
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Thanks for those suggestions. Vico looks like the exact thing I'm looking for, but I read in the dev's blog that he plans to eventually charge $50 for it when it's out of beta, which imo is a lot.

I tried MacVim, but it crashes every time I try to open a document. I got the latest Github version, but it's probably incompatible with Lion or something (or I'm just screwing up).

I'll stick to TextWrangler for now, it's a little more advanced than what I need but it's free and loads fairly quickly. I'm considering buying Smultron, it costs €5 on the App Store and it looks really neat.
06-15-11, 05:29 AM   #6
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
I've heard good things about Smultron indeed. Lion stuff should be fine once developers update =)
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
06-15-11, 09:15 AM   #7
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I actually found an old fork of Smultron back when it was free, called Fraise. It still works perfectly fine, so I'll use that.
06-15-11, 11:41 AM   #8
Zagrei
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Smultron costs money now? I've had it for a long time, and I didn't have to pay when I downloaded it I love it, personally (Snow Leopard, here).
06-15-11, 07:54 PM   #9
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Haleth View Post

Thanks.
If you open a file in TextEdit, then save it later, it should't create a new file. It would only append the .txt if you save it as a new file, so just rename it in Finder first after saving a new file initially.
06-16-11, 12:32 AM   #10
Aeternal
A Defias Bandit
I use textwrangler: http://www.barebones.com/products/te.../download.html Very good for me to editing .iua. And it's free
06-16-11, 01:32 AM   #11
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Originally Posted by Xinhuan View Post
If you open a file in TextEdit, then save it later, it should't create a new file. It would only append the .txt if you save it as a new file, so just rename it in Finder first after saving a new file initially.
The problem is that if I open an existing lua file, whatever I do in an attempt to save it gets it changed to .txt.
06-18-11, 05:10 PM   #12
MysticalOS
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

i've always prefered and still prefer subethaedit

http://subethaedit.net/

it has native lua syntax coloring that has always worked well. plus a lot of other languages, and nice features too, such as shared editing mode, you could let another subethaedit user connect to your file, and edit it with you.
06-19-11, 06:35 AM   #13
Kagaro
A Cyclonian
Use TextMate
06-19-11, 06:36 AM   #14
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Textmate is still rather expensive for software that's updated about as frequently as Duke Nukem Forever, but yes, it does many things quite well.
07-03-11, 10:58 AM   #15
Hoern
Not THAT kind of Orc

Originally Posted by Cladhaire View Post
Textmate is still rather expensive for software that's updated about as frequently as Duke Nukem Forever, but yes, it does many things quite well.
Then there's of course SubEthaEdit (whose coders, the Codingmonkeys, also are the authors of Carcassonne which is internally scripted in Lua) and SublimeText which takes, for me at least, the cake right now. For a rather .. different .. reason, too - I can turn on 2x grey antialisaing for font which makes Panic Sans look extremely cool and readable.

All the cool kids do it, so why don't you? Join Alasin, Nesingwary-US Alliance.
07-04-11, 02:22 AM   #16
sylvanaar
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
You can always use IntelliJ with my Lua plugin.

It is 1) free 2) pretty good and 3) X-platform

It is rather large - but in return you get a lot of functionality.

The code formatter alone is worth it.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34752

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Anyone editing lua on OS X Lion?