09-19-14, 07:24 PM   #1
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Opie

This is directed at Phanx, but others are welcome to contribute. You have mentioned that you use Opie extensively and only have six action buttons on any toon. Would you share some of your uses that achieves this? Do the buttons have modifiers (shift, ctrl, alt)?
09-19-14, 09:40 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

I use modifiers to some degree, though most buttons have only 1-2 spells. I use Clique to cast heals and dispels by clicking on unit frames (though my shaman's action bar in resto spec does have heals on it too). I use keybinds for things that share functions between classes (eg. C is always bound to a dispel macro/ability, Z is always bound to a CC, etc.). I use OPie for everything else.

I'll post some screenshots later (I'm at work right now) but here's my basic setup from memory:

Enhancement Shaman

Action bar:
1. /cast [mod:alt] Chain Lightning; Lightning Bolt
2. Stormstrike
3. Lava Lash
4. /cast [mod:alt] Frost Shock; Earth Shock
5. /cast [mod:alt] Fire Nova; Flame Shock
6. Unleash Elements

OPie rings:
Middle-click: Totems + Call of the Elements (totem cooldown reset talent) + Totemic Recall
Shift-middle-click: Weapon buffs

Key bindings:
Q = Lightning Shield
Z = Bind Elemental
X = Hex (common binding for primary CC)
C = Purge/Dispel/Resurrect macro (common)
G = Interrupt (common)
P = Water Walk
O = Far Sight
Numpad / = Earth Elemental totem
Numpad * = Fire Elemental totem
Numpad - = Blood Fury (common binding for racial cooldown)
Numpad + = Asecndance (common binding for primary DPS cooldown)
Numpad 0 = Spirit Wolves (common binding for secondary DPS cooldown or primary defensive cooldown)
Numpad 7 = Bloodlust
Numpad . = Astral Shift (common binding for secondary defense cooldown)
Numpad 1 = Spirit Walk (common binding for "go fast" cooldown)

Destruction Warlock

Action bar
1. Immolate
2. Incinerate
3. /cast [mod:alt] Fel Flame; Conflagrate
4. /cast [mod:alt] Shadowburn; Chaos Bolt
5. Rain of Fire
6. Fire and Brimstone

OPie
Middle-click: Things generally used in combat (eg. Burning Rush, Ember Tap, Command Demon, Twilight Ward)
Shift-middle-click: Things generally used out of combat (eg. Soulstone, Healthstone, Soulwell, summon, Demonic Gateway)
Ctrl-middle-click: Summon demons

Key bindings
Q = Soulshatter
W = Havoc
Z = Banish
X = /cast [mod:shift] Howl of Terror; Fear
C = Curse of the Elements (opposite of a dispel )
G = /cast [mod:shift] Demonic Circle: Summon; Demonic Circle: Teleport
V = Enslave Demon
P = Eye of Kilrogg
O = Underwater Breathing
F5 = Flames of Xoroth
Numpad / = Doomguard
Numpad * = Infernal
Numpad - = Berserking (racial)
Numpad + = Dark Soul: Instability
Numpad 0 = Unending Resolve
Numpad 9 = Dark Intent (common binding for long-duration group buff)

Feral Druid

This is the only class/spec where any button or binding has more than 2 abilities with modifiers. I use the following macro for cat finishing moves:

/cast [mod:ctrl] Maim; [mod:ctrl] Ferocious Bite; [mod:alt] Savage Roar; Rip

Last edited by Phanx : 09-19-14 at 09:44 PM.
09-19-14, 10:44 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I only have 6-7 visible buttons in my UI as well. I use OPie for things like professions, quest items, portals/teleports, food/buffs... Things you don't need access to too often. (Though OPie does have a setting per ring to allow you quick access to the last used thing.)

My 6 visible buttons are unbound and are situational such as Mirror Image, Time Warp, etc. I have my main rotation keybound and memorized with just a couple modifiers. I have macros bound to the side buttons on my mouse (and the mouse wheel) also, with just one modifier each. I have a few other keybinds as well, for other abilities that I use.

The same is true for my Death Knight (Blood) and for my Druid (Resto). For healing on my druid, I use Clique which cuts down on buttons even more.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-20-14, 02:25 PM   #4
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Exactly what they said. 5 visible buttons mapped using extensive macros. I do however have a giant bar of large buttons with my "Oh S#!7!" spells on it to track cooldown and use. Healing is done using VuhDo or manually using the power of macros.

oPie has been indispensable as I can map whatever I want to the remaining key combos. Demons, hunter pets, totems, long de/buffs, farm equipment, mounts, etcetera.

Modifiers are your friend.

Last edited by jeruku : 09-20-14 at 02:26 PM. Reason: language
09-20-14, 02:57 PM   #5
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

I never thought about using Opie for combat, I assumed it would be slower than having an action button. I may do like jerku and have something for my cool downs.

Off to plot using Opie.
09-20-14, 03:05 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Forgot to mention that I use Cooldowns as well.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-20-14, 09:09 PM   #7
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Forgot to mention that I use Cooldowns as well.
How does that compare to Omnicc or TullaCC?
09-20-14, 10:19 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Oops. I meant CoolLine. /sigh

09-20-14, 11:37 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by rocnroll View Post
I never thought about using Opie for combat, I assumed it would be slower than having an action button.
With the "center rings at mouse" option, OPie is basically like mouse gestures. For example, to cast Ember Tap (self heal) I just press the middle mouse button (doesn't matter where the cursor is as long as it's not over a unit frame) and flick the cursor toward about 2:30 (using a traditional clock as a directional descriptor) and release the button.

Once you're used to it, it's about as fast as pressing a key binding (maybe even faster if the key binding requires reaching) and it's definitely faster than moving the cursor to click on a button in a fixed location.

I can also easily check the cooldowns of my "extra combat abilities" by just pressing the middle mouse button to pop up the ring, and then releasing the button without moving the cursor. I do use CoolLine to track cooldowns on a single bar (and wrote CoolLineFix to add support for spell charges since I think the author no longer plays WoW... and I'll probably just write my own cooldown bar if CoolLine itself actually breaks) but check the cooldowns on the ring at least as often as I look at CoolLine.

Last edited by Phanx : 09-20-14 at 11:40 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Opie