11-18-14, 05:54 PM   #1
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What would you like to see?

My model viewer project(s) are kinda on hold, until I manage to figure out the changes to the item display information in the client database files (dbc/db2), so right now I'm looking for ideas.

What WoW-related application or plugin would you like to see? While this mainly goes for desktop apps (Windows/Mac), it could also extend to web or mobile; but I have a feeling the latter two types are pretty saturated these days. But /shrug - you never know.

So let me know below, and I'll take my pick based on a combination of popularity, feasibility, and personal choice.
11-18-14, 10:34 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

A nicer version of WoW Global Finder with:

- The ability to select a folder and scan through it and all its subfolders, excluding "Libs" and "Lib" folders. Despite WGF having a button labeled "check file/folder" you can't actually select a folder; you can only select all the files in a folder manually.

- The ability to (ideally) see the offending line of code, and (or at least) to open the file to the specified line. The interface in grepWin works pretty well for this.

- The ability to show me what is wrong instead of just reporting "unknown error" for certain files that do not actually contain any errors as far as Lua and WoW are concerned... or, you know, just not failing on these files at all.
11-18-14, 11:39 PM   #3
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Interesting.

So, it basically compiles the selected lua files, and then uses grep to get any globals and errors from the compile process? Did I get that right?

That does sound like it could be pretty fun to play around with; but I'm gonna let this thread sit a day or two, to see if anybody else has any requests, first. I mean, fair is fair.
11-19-14, 12:51 AM   #4
10leej
A Molten Giant

I personally would like offline access to the game so I can test some changes I made to my addons yesterday when I currently have high speed access on the weekends.

#SatelliteInternetSucks

Anyways in reality I want the UI source code if someone can share a download link for me sure it'll take a night of downloading but it gives me something to play with other than my python programs and desktop environment fork and so on.

Last edited by 10leej : 11-19-14 at 12:55 AM.
11-19-14, 01:14 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
Anyways in reality I want the UI source code if someone can share a download link for me
http://www.townlong-yak.com/framexml

Or you can just extract it from your game client:

http://wowpedia.org/Viewing_Blizzard's_interface_code
11-19-14, 01:35 AM   #6
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I personally would like offline access to the game so I can test some changes I made to my addons yesterday when I currently have high speed access on the weekends.

#SatelliteInternetSucks

Anyways in reality I want the UI source code if someone can share a download link for me sure it'll take a night of downloading but it gives me something to play with other than my python programs and desktop environment fork and so on.
Source code? You mean the Blizzard lua/xml stuff in the game data? The guy who made MPQ Editor, also has an application named CascView that allows you to extract the files from the new gamedata format. There is one small catch. Since the WoW Casc storage doesn't yet contain a listfile, you'll need the one linked on the page. Unfortunately, that listfile is missing about 6k files. But the vast majority are there.

I'd have no problem sharing - but downloading that app would take a lot less time to download.
11-19-14, 02:23 AM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

If you just want to look at the source code for the Blizzard UI, you do not need any special tools, and you do not need to manually extract anything out of the game data files. Just use the links in my last post to either look at the code online in your web browser, or extract a local copy of the code from your locally installed copy of WoW using commands built into the game client itself.
11-19-14, 02:28 AM   #8
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
If you just want to look at the source code for the Blizzard UI, you do not need any special tools, and you do not need to manually extract anything out of the game data files. Just use the links in my last post to either look at the code online in your web browser, or extract a local copy of the code from your locally installed copy of WoW using commands built into the game client itself.
I'm just used to getting everything else that way
11-19-14, 09:00 AM   #9
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
I'm just used to getting everything else that way
You can use this extractor, it only has ~1000 missing files:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xb...C+Explorer.zip
11-19-14, 01:02 PM   #10
10leej
A Molten Giant

Don't have a game client on the daily driver and the ISP literally killed the bittorrent protocol so can't download it via bit torrent and ping is too high for the battle.net client to download even itself.

So... therein lies my problem, but thank you Phanx for giving me a link to work with.
11-19-14, 04:25 PM   #11
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
You can use this extractor, it only has ~1000 missing files:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xb...C+Explorer.zip
Thank you! I was having the most obnoxious time googling for an updated listfile, and even CascExplorer was linking to the CascView page for the listfile.

Don't have a game client on the daily driver and the ISP literally killed the bittorrent protocol so can't download it via bit torrent and ping is too high for the battle.net client to download even itself.

So... therein lies my problem, but thank you Phanx for giving me a link to work with.
I've extracted the interface files via the method Phanx shared, zipped them, and am currently uploading. I'll post a link when it's finished. I suggest getting them while they're hot - while I have no immediate need for the ~700MB of space it will take up, it will be the first to go if I do. I only have 10gb of storage, and before this, I've already used 5.
11-19-14, 04:54 PM   #12
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Here ya go.
BlizzardInterface.zip
11-19-14, 11:07 PM   #13
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

So, back on track with the main topic.

I took a look at lua(c)-wow, and the listing output seems pretty straightforward. I'm not sure exactly what all the columns mean, but I think I understand enough of them to make something like that work.

Just have to dig around in the source to find out how to redirect the listing output, and then I should be able to compile it as a lib, and use it within the application.

So...first feature suggestion is simply a UI thing. Giving an option for a global folder name ignore, and a local one on open, is really the only thing necessary - beyond using those items in the search.

Second feature is also mostly a UI thing, though it does require loading up the file, and digging out the line. Nothing a simple split can't fix.

Third thing - well, getting an error isn't a problem; but not sure about that "unknown error" thing. You might have to find a file that generates that error, and pass it on to me. For all I know it could actually just be a bug in the application itself.
11-19-14, 11:45 PM   #14
10leej
A Molten Giant

Well since were back on topic I want better default raid frames that don't break when you working on something completely unrelated.
11-20-14, 04:16 PM   #15
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm pretty sure that's beyond the scope of what the OP had in mind.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-20-14, 09:02 PM   #16
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
Third thing - well, getting an error isn't a problem; but not sure about that "unknown error" thing. You might have to find a file that generates that error, and pass it on to me. For all I know it could actually just be a bug in the application itself.
The attached file from Grid consistently causes the "unknown error" message in WoW Global Finder, but does not contain any syntax errors and works fine in WoW.
Attached Files
File Type: lua Help.lua (8.1 KB, 316 views)
11-20-14, 10:49 PM   #17
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The attached file from Grid consistently causes the "unknown error" message in WoW Global Finder, but does not contain any syntax errors and works fine in WoW.
Just ran it through luac-wow, and everything came up fine. The only possible cause for such an error, that I can think of, is probably a failure with the grepping/regex. Considering the length and number of strings. But it will definitely help with testing my app, so I don't make the same mistakes.
11-22-14, 12:43 AM   #18
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Tough part's done.

got luac-wow embedded, with output to .NET

Next up is the parsing, and the actual UI stuff.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » What would you like to see?