11-24-10, 12:54 AM   #1
sally
A Defias Bandit
Saving/loading profiles

Hello community! I'm pretty new here and I'm not at all familiar with writing/coding addons.

This is rather a plea for help than a discussions thread, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section for such a topic, I had a hard time finding a suiting subforum.

I've recently found this UI compilation and I absolutely love how it looks and feels! However when I download and install it I can't load the "thinktank" (addon compilation's name) profiles, I get a message telling me the profile is "invalid".

I've tried everything between renaming simple lines in the config to reinstalling WoW and the UI compilation "author" has been very patient and helpful, but we're running out of options, both him and me. Would anyone in here with perhaps some more experience with coding be so very kind to look at the compilation and try and figure out what's missing/wrong?

I would be ever grateful if anyone would have a look at it!

Thanks in advance,
sally
11-24-10, 05:09 AM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just tried it with mit german client. Works perfectly.
Guess you did something wrong.
Try to delete the folders addons and wtf and to re-apply the ui pack and edit the folder names accordingly.
11-24-10, 05:19 AM   #3
Lyelu
A Cyclonian
Not an expert , but try this...
First, you probably don't want "config.wtf" on the first level in your WTF. Sets the localization (language) to DE, and other in-game settings that don't really have anything to do with the UI. I do not think the author was supposed to include that file.
Same with the WTF files on the next level. Usually all you need are the files in "WTF\Account\ACCNAME\SavedVariables".

Then I'd try loading it without Reflux, to see if you get any error... Then read Reflux's page: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...11-Reflux.html
See if Reflux is something you want to learn how to work with. Since that's specifically about profiles it's the first thing I'd check.

If those two things don't help, try loading it without Prat. I recently had some issues with Prat profiles.

Also these WTF files aren't "scrubbed" of profile settings specific to his characters on different servers, but I don't really think that will cause any issues. However, you can go through each WTF file and delete sections like:

Code:
		["Gallahead - Frostmourne"] = "Standart",
		["Hemma - Nazjatar"] = "Hemma - Nazjatar",
		["Babayaga - Frostmourne"] = "Babayaga - Frostmourne",
		["Tann - Frostmourne"] = "Tann - Frostmourne",
		["Gwaehir - Frostmourne"] = "Gwaehir - Frostmourne",
		["Tannhäuser - Frostmourne"] = "Tannhäuser - Frostmourne",
		["Reineke - Frostmourne"] = "Tann - Frostmourne",
		["Longstride - Frostmourne"] = "Longstride - Frostmourne",
		["Hemma - Frostmourne"] = "Hemma - Frostmourne",
		["Hallagead - Frostmourne"] = "Bär",
		["Happa - Frostmourne"] = "Happa - Frostmourne",
		["Geraint - Frostmourne"] = "Geraint - Frostmourne",
		["Jahnsen - Frostmourne"] = "Jahnsen - Frostmourne",
		["Tannhaeuser - Rexxar"] = "Tannhaeuser - Rexxar",

Last edited by Lyelu : 11-24-10 at 05:25 AM.
11-24-10, 08:34 AM   #4
sally
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
Just tried it with mit german client. Works perfectly.
Guess you did something wrong.
Try to delete the folders addons and wtf and to re-apply the ui pack and edit the folder names accordingly.
Just that seems to be the problem (from what I can tell from the comments on the compilation page at least), when trying to install it on an english client rather than a german (author is german) something goes wrong. I've reapplied the UI compilation somewhere around twenty times by now, in different order and different manner, so I don't think the problem lies there (I've installed other compilations/UIs before without this problem).

Originally Posted by Lyelu
Not an expert , but try this...
First, you probably don't want "config.wtf" on the first level in your WTF. Sets the localization (language) to DE, and other in-game settings that don't really have anything to do with the UI. I do not think the author was supposed to include that file.
Same with the WTF files on the next level. Usually all you need are the files in "WTF\Account\ACCNAME\SavedVariables".

Then I'd try loading it without Reflux, to see if you get any error... Then read Reflux's page: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...11-Reflux.html
See if Reflux is something you want to learn how to work with. Since that's specifically about profiles it's the first thing I'd check.

If those two things don't help, try loading it without Prat. I recently had some issues with Prat profiles.

Also these WTF files aren't "scrubbed" of profile settings specific to his characters on different servers, but I don't really think that will cause any issues. However, you can go through each WTF file and delete sections like:

Code:
Code:
		["Gallahead - Frostmourne"] = "Standart",
		["Hemma - Nazjatar"] = "Hemma - Nazjatar",
		["Babayaga - Frostmourne"] = "Babayaga - Frostmourne",
		["Tann - Frostmourne"] = "Tann - Frostmourne",
		["Gwaehir - Frostmourne"] = "Gwaehir - Frostmourne",
		["Tannhäuser - Frostmourne"] = "Tannhäuser - Frostmourne",
		["Reineke - Frostmourne"] = "Tann - Frostmourne",
		["Longstride - Frostmourne"] = "Longstride - Frostmourne",
		["Hemma - Frostmourne"] = "Hemma - Frostmourne",
		["Hallagead - Frostmourne"] = "Bär",
		["Happa - Frostmourne"] = "Happa - Frostmourne",
		["Geraint - Frostmourne"] = "Geraint - Frostmourne",
		["Jahnsen - Frostmourne"] = "Jahnsen - Frostmourne",
		["Tannhaeuser - Rexxar"] = "Tannhaeuser - Rexxar",
I'll try this when I get home and report back when done!

Thank you both for your input, and if anything springs to mind, please let me know!

/sally
11-24-10, 12:58 PM   #5
Duugu
Premium Member

Originally Posted by sally View Post
Just that seems to be the problem (from what I can tell from the comments on the compilation page at least), when trying to install it on an english client rather than a german (author is german) something goes wrong. I've reapplied the UI compilation somewhere around twenty times by now, in different order and different manner, so I don't think the problem lies there (I've installed other compilations/UIs before without this problem).
Yah, well ... I've read this in the comments
I noticed though that my old settings and profiles are still saved on some addons (although I delete the AddOn and WTF folder before pasting the new one). For example I used Satrina's a few months back and my old profiles show up when I start up with your UI. Is there something else saving my settings?
IMHO this absolutely can't happen if you install the UI pack correctly. That's why I considered this as an installation problem.
11-24-10, 09:33 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Make sure that you name the account folder after your actual WoW account and not your battle.net (umbrella) account.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Saving/loading profiles