08-30-12, 02:51 PM   #1
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions

This nUI InfoPanel plugin has been around since 2010 and I've found it to be very useful but, unfortunately, with the roll out of patch 5.04 it no longer works. Its most obvious problem is the plugin routine for creating its screen display panel no longer works. I've been using it as a very easy and convenient way to open up Skillet when I need to do some 'professions' work and would dearly love to see the plugin working again.

Would any of you programmer type plugin authors be interested in updating this nUI plugin to work with patch 5.04? It sure would be appreciated.

08-30-12, 03:10 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Have you tried sending a PM to the author. Just in case he is receiving emails when someone messages him.

It is based on one of my plugins which I have since changed. I don't believe he would have a problem if I redo his plugin similarly but I would rather we at least try and give him the chance to make that decision himself.

What I can do is track down what you need to change to make it work. Probably some variable name changes.

08-31-12, 03:26 AM   #3
UrbanArmitage
An Aku'mai Servant
I am using the InfoPanel Professions addon with nUI 5.07.25 on MoP 5.0.4 at the moment and it is working for me. It does give some Lua errors the first couple of times I switch to the Professions InfoPanel, but afterwards the errors are no longer displayed and the profession buttons work as advertised.

The Mage Portal addon is also giving similar Lua errors the first couple of times I switch to it but again these stop thereafter and it works as advertised.

08-31-12, 03:52 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
The Mage Portal addon has been upgraded to XMage:Portals so you can migrate to that one.

The error messages are basically linked to the changes made to raid/party functions to become group functions. Seeing as these functions aren't imperative to the functionality of the addons, less so in the professions one then that would explain how it works after those initial hiccough errors.

But good to know it is only a temporary error message. This means it can be left as is for the moment.

08-31-12, 04:04 AM   #5
UrbanArmitage
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
The Mage Portal addon has been upgraded to XMage:Portals so you can migrate to that one.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Xrystal, I wasn't aware that there was an upgraded version. I will migrate over to that tonight.

Based on what you said about the reasons behind the Lua errors and the fact that they are not critical I will continue to use the Professions InfoPanel addon until there is an alternative or upgraded version because it is very useful not having to clutter my bars with profession buttons.

08-31-12, 04:18 AM   #6
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
I have patched this to work on my side.

I can post changes needed to \Interface\Addons\nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions\Profesions.lua if this is ok with everyone (removal of a few lines of code, that's no longer needed and not used by this mod).

08-31-12, 04:20 AM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Sure go right ahead. Post it on the addon page for other users and when the author gets back he will know what needs to be changed.

Oh looks like he enabled optional patches so feel free to post it up on the addon page so they can simply download your working version of the addon while we wait for him to come back.

08-31-12, 10:35 AM   #8
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
MoP patched version of this addon has been uploaded.

See here > http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21509.html

Last edited by Daveo77 : 08-31-12 at 10:43 AM.

08-31-12, 03:32 PM   #9
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Daveo77 View Post
MoP patched version of this addon has been uploaded.

See here > http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21509.html
Thanks very much for making the patch.

I guess there still must be some issues with the plugin as, even with your patched version, the display bar for it is still not showing up on screen. The only difference I'm seeing is that with your patches the plugin specific LUA errors disappeared. Do I need to issue a nUI command to have the screen display for the plugin turned on, if so what would it be? Come to think of it, did the latest version of nUI have some changes in the configuration options that might account for it not displaying on the screen?

I did notice that once I applied your patch a bunch of nUI non-harmful LUA errors, showed up that I wasn't seeing yesterday. Something about combat lockout if I remember right.

I saw UrbanArmitage's post about the plugin working for him with non-harmful nUI LUA errors, post patch 5.04, but I have no clue why it's working for him, but not for me. I'm making an uneducated WAG that the reason is due to nUI configuration differences between his system and mine.

As you can probably tell, I'm not very conversant with this stuff. I don't get along so well with C++ derivative languages.

Oh boy, am I ever looking forward to an official beta release of nUI v6.xxx!

[edit]
I just thought of something. Could something have caused the plugins display bar to get moved off-screen, or even moved low enough so that it's hidden by the nUI UI display? If so, any ideas how I can check for that and, if so, move it to make it visible again? I tried using 'Movers' but didn't find anything for the plugin showing up on-screen.

Last edited by Coasty : 08-31-12 at 03:34 PM.

08-31-12, 04:25 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
The infopanel frame is never moved outside of nUIs control. Or shouldn't be. nUI positions its elements. All an infopanel addon does is place another frame holding information into the infopanel container.

Try renaming your wtf folder and see what happens when you log back in. Just in case somehow your wtf file for nUI has been messed up.

Have you still got some addons activated that have not been patched for 5.0.4 yet ? Just in case there is a compatibility issue.

08-31-12, 06:15 PM   #11
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
The infopanel frame is never moved outside of nUIs control. Or shouldn't be. nUI positions its elements. All an infopanel addon does is place another frame holding information into the infopanel container.

Try renaming your wtf folder and see what happens when you log back in. Just in case somehow your wtf file for nUI has been messed up.

Have you still got some addons activated that have not been patched for 5.0.4 yet ? Just in case there is a compatibility issue.
I followed your suggestions, plus just deleting only the nUI files in the WTF folder.

First, I deleted just all ofl the nUI files in the WTF folder so they'd be recreated from scratch. The Professions infopanel was not displayed.

Second, I renamed the WTF folder and let WoW recreate all of the folder contents from scratch. As above the Profession infopanel was not displayed.

Lastly, using the WoW recreated WTF folder, I disabled all plugins except nUI. As above the Professions infopanel was not displayed.

So, after all of that I restored my original WTF folder (not wanting to have to re-configure everything). Except for Armory and RhadaTip (which I have turned off until they're updated) all of the major plugins I have installed are updated for 5.04. The only exceptions to this are a couple of data-broker plugins used with Bazooka or ones that only add data to WoW info-tips. Needless to say they all worked together just fine before 5.04.

However, after going back to my original WTF folder I took a much closer look at the LUA generated at initial logon.

The first thing I saw is that there were a bunch of nUI errors specific to the bag bar and combat lockdown, no big deal as, SFAIK, that's a known problem which Scott is working on.

Buried in the LUA error panel were seven errors related to the Professions infopanel:

1. ..UI_InfoPanel_Profesions\nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions.lua line 61:
attempt to call global 'Profesions_CreateFrame' (a nil value)
This particular error occurs a total of 3 separate times.
2. .\AddOns\nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions\Profesions.lua line 330:
'=' expected near 'end'
3. ..\AddOns\nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions\Profesions.lua line 329:
unexpected symbol near '<'
4. ..\AddOns\nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions\Profesions.lua line 330:
'<eof>' expected near 'end'
5. .rface\AddOns\nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions\Profesions.lua line 274:
attempt to call global 'GetNumRaidMembers' (a nil value)

These 7 LUA errors relating specifically to the Professions infopanel plugin are repeatable at each initial login. If needed I can get a complete copy of each error. Error number 1 above probably accounts for the Profession plugin infopanel not being displayed.

After my own feeble non-working attempts to get rid of the 'GetNumRaidMembers' stuff memory tells me the errors relating to lines 329-330 are related to my removing 'GetNumRaidMembers' lines. I have no idea how to fix the lines 329-330 errors.

I hope that's enough info to help in figuring out how to fix the problem.

08-31-12, 06:18 PM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ok looks like somewhere along the lines an if else end statement block has been messed up.

I'll have to download the patch that was made for 5.0.4 and see what happens.

08-31-12, 08:23 PM   #13
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Ok looks like somewhere along the lines an if else end statement block has been messed up.

I'll have to download the patch that was made for 5.0.4 and see what happens.
Well, new info part 32...

I decided 'OH, What the Hell' and deleted the WTF nUI files once more and just reconfigured nUI from scratch. The results were almost the same. The same 7 LUA errors I listed in my last post are still showing up at each initial logon, but this time the professions infopanel showed up and displayed in the infopanel display box. What made the difference I don't know as the before and after versions of the nUI config files in WTF seem the same to me but, other than the 7 LUA errors specific to the plugin always showing up, now it's working.

It's a good thing I didn't make my living coding software before I retired as things like this would have driven me nuts!

08-31-12, 08:54 PM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl, I worked as a programmer for 7 years. One problem was on going for 6 months. We could never replicate it. All we could do was correct the data every time it happened.

But just to make sure. You are downloading the optional patch for the professions plugin ? It isn't the same as the actual addon. You need to click on the other files tab on the addon page and download it from there rather than the main addon page.

If it is still a problem even with the new patch file then there must be something that was missed that isn't consistent.

08-31-12, 10:12 PM   #15
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
But just to make sure. You are downloading the optional patch for the professions plugin ? It isn't the same as the actual addon. You need to click on the other files tab on the addon page and download it from there rather than the main addon page.

If it is still a problem even with the new patch file then there must be something that was missed that isn't consistent.
Ah, I see I forgot to mention that.

Yes, the last couple of posts, about the 7 Professions infopanel plugin errors and my debugging efforts with the WTF folder, was all done with patch 'InfoPanel_Profesions MoP 5.04' installed.

To reiterate, the patch is installed and the plugin is working, but it's generating those 7 LUA errors each time I do an initial logon into WoW. I assume those errors are still being generated when I switch to another character but they just aren't being displayed any more in the current WoW session.

09-01-12, 03:19 AM   #16
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ok, I will take a look this morning before I go out for the day.

09-01-12, 04:07 AM   #17
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
hmm, not sure whats happening for you but works perfectly fine for me. As you can see. No errors and I have the built in errors turned on.

Also the error messages you reported are listing lines that do not have any source code on which also seems to infer that you may still have an old copy installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_090112_110622.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	7128  

Last edited by Xrystal : 09-01-12 at 04:11 AM.

09-01-12, 07:14 AM   #18
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
Profesions InfoPanel works ok for me too, as I tested it with LUA errors turned on before uploading it.

Only reason for the version being at '002' is because I forgot to update the TOC file in my initial upload - oops.

09-01-12, 03:32 PM   #19
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
hmm, not sure whats happening for you but works perfectly fine for me. As you can see. No errors and I have the built in errors turned on.

Also the error messages you reported are listing lines that do not have any source code on which also seems to infer that you may still have an old copy installed.
Heh, could of sworn I applied the patch. Looked at Interface/Game/Help and saw Display LUA Errors was turned off. Have no idea how that happened and wondered why I was still seeing the LUA errors being displayed. Anyway I turned that back on.

OK, I went back to Dave's post and downloaded it again (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info21509.html), deleted the folder for the plugin and manually copied the folder from Dave's patch back into Interface/Addons. Then I logged in. Once again I got the LUA errors I mentioned. The first error I found was:

UI_InfoPanel_Profesions\nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions.lua line 61:
attempt to call global 'Profesions_CreateFrame' (a nil value)

So I went to nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions.lua, looked at line 61 and saw this:

Profesions_CreateFrame(); -- FORCE INIT

From what you said I gather that's supposed to be a blank line, except it isn't, and I'm still getting those 7 LUA errors I reported. So, what the heck, I tried remarking out line 61, but found that immediately busted the plugin so I undid that change.

Which leads me to ask, ummm, Dave07 when you re-upped the patch to fix the TOC did you accidentally use the un-patched original files for v002 of the patch instead of the patched files?? I ask because I definitely have v002 of the patch installed. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Anyhoo... As it is, even with the LUA errors, at least now the plugin is working so the world is right...

Other than that, I'm not sure what the hell is going on as I also noticed another anomaly. For some strange reason the LUA Error Display still throws an error for a file line entry in an Interface/Addons/TenTonHammer folder, except the folder and file doesn't exist as I deleted anything to do with Playerscore/Gearscore immediately after patch 5.04. So how in hell does WoW throw a line entry error for a non-existent folder and file!!!! Gotta love computers...

Ahem... Just noticed and wondered why I didn't see it before this... Profesions = Professions... Sorry, couldn't resist...

Last edited by Coasty : 09-01-12 at 03:39 PM.

09-01-12, 04:18 PM   #20
Daveo77
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Coasty View Post
Which leads me to ask, ummm, Dave07 when you re-upped the patch to fix the TOC did you accidentally use the un-patched original files for v002 of the patch instead of the patched files?? I ask because I definitely have v002 of the patch installed. That's the only explanation I can think of.
I did check for that, and the v002 is the same as I'm using atm. Xrystal downloaded v002 and it works for her with no LUA errors, so I'm at loss as to why you're getting the LUA errors.

Also, the spelling error with the mod is not my fault lol. I left it with the spelling error as I didn't want to break the code or worse

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Customization » nUI: Plugin Support » nUI_InfoPanel_Profesions