04-08-09, 01:13 PM   #1
Galinn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
autobar replacement

Hello,

I have a question here!

i been using autobar for years now (not kidding) and lately i am beginning to wonder if there is another addon that does the same thing as autobar but uses less memory!

because i think 4Mb is way 2 much for what autobar really does!

love 2 hear from you <3

Galinn
04-08-09, 01:35 PM   #2
wannad00it
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Galinn View Post
Hello,

I have a question here!

i been using autobar for years now (not kidding) and lately i am beginning to wonder if there is another addon that does the same thing as autobar but uses less memory!

because i think 4Mb is way 2 much for what autobar really does!

love 2 hear from you <3

Galinn

lol thats why I stopped using it.

Cant say I've looked for an alternative tho, I think there is an addon called classbar that might do something close. However you wont get all the consumables etc

Personally tho Ive just gotten away from it. Its easier that way :-p
04-08-09, 02:07 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
AutoBar doesn't really use that much memory. You're seeing the combined memory usage of AutoBar and any libraries it has plus any resource usage of other addons that use those same libraries. AutoBar loads early in the loading process, so it's libraries are usually those which get saved into WoW's memory. Not to mention that one of it's libraries (PeriodicTable) is the sole reason why people love AutoBar - it's a HUGE database of every item in the game (AutoBar only uses the modules of PT that it needs, btw).

That said, I currently use Buffet and OPie.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-08-09, 02:07 PM   #4
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by wannad00it View Post
lol thats why I stopped using it.

Cant say I've looked for an alternative tho, I think there is an addon called classbar that might do something close. However you wont get all the consumables etc

Personally tho Ive just gotten away from it. Its easier that way :-p
For consumables; tekkub's Buffet
For Quest items; Qbar

There are alternatives to both, just a suggestion.
04-08-09, 02:14 PM   #5
PurpleWedgie
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by noble8 View Post
For consumables; tekkub's Buffet
For Quest items; Qbar

There are alternatives to both, just a suggestion.
Seconded. I used autobar for years and have since been very happy with Buffet and Qbar.
04-08-09, 02:21 PM   #6
Galinn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
well with alot i mean.. autobar is the sole addon in my UI that uses the most memory and i dont use it that much compared 2 the second highest in my UI Pitbull! pitbull uses if i dont ask much of it.. 2mb of memory!
Autobar on the other hand is using 4mb.. and then i am just leaving it alone and not doing anything with it!
But autobar on the other hand is darn easy for mounts drinks food etc etc etc!
But i get the story Seerah told! if its using all the items in the wow's database 4mb is very good!
Dont get me wrong autobar is a good addon! but... its to much off the good stuff!

greetz

galinn
04-08-09, 02:35 PM   #7
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Originally Posted by Galinn View Post
well with alot i mean.. autobar is the sole addon in my UI that uses the most memory and i dont use it that much compared 2 the second highest in my UI Pitbull! pitbull uses if i dont ask much of it.. 2mb of memory!
Autobar on the other hand is using 4mb.. and then i am just leaving it alone and not doing anything with it!
But autobar on the other hand is darn easy for mounts drinks food etc etc etc!
But i get the story Seerah told! if its using all the items in the wow's database 4mb is very good!
Dont get me wrong autobar is a good addon! but... its to much off the good stuff!

greetz

galinn
Mounts; RandomAcessMount, or haste's Noru.

Plenty of alternatives to these two as well ;p
04-08-09, 02:48 PM   #8
Galinn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by noble8 View Post
Mounts; RandomAcessMount, or haste's Noru.

Plenty of alternatives to these two as well ;p
thx i think i have enough keywords of addons that i can look into!

thx again for the help you guys!

<3
04-20-09, 03:15 PM   #9
Marroc
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
AutoBar doesn't really use that much memory. You're seeing the combined memory usage of AutoBar and any libraries it has plus any resource usage of other addons that use those same libraries. AutoBar loads early in the loading process, so it's libraries are usually those which get saved into WoW's memory. Not to mention that one of it's libraries (PeriodicTable) is the sole reason why people love AutoBar - it's a HUGE database of every item in the game (AutoBar only uses the modules of PT that it needs, btw).

That said, I currently use Buffet and OPie.
No, It REALLY is using that much memory. Been watching it for about a week now. Starts out tiny (~3mb, including libs) and slowly bloats up to almost 12mb. If you remove autobar, no other addon shows any symptoms of this kind of memory bloat (and I'm running baggins, which loads almost all of the libraries autobar does as well).

Disembedding the libraries doesn't change the bloat either.
04-20-09, 03:37 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If that truly is the case, then it looks like there's something wrong in the AutoBar code, then. Because it never got that high for me when I used to use it. I don't think it gets that high for my hubby ever, either, and he still uses it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-20-09, 04:30 PM   #11
Oakayam
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
If that truly is the case, then it looks like there's something wrong in the AutoBar code, then. Because it never got that high for me when I used to use it. I don't think it gets that high for my hubby ever, either, and he still uses it.
Actually right after first update in 3.1 embedded was running 8 MiB and climbed to 15 while sitting idle. I disabled it then figuring I will wait for release version.
I can confirm however 4 MiB is normal. I have about 4 custom buttons but other then that my autobar is pretty vanilla. I don't know what is making it work so hard :P

Last edited by Oakayam : 04-20-09 at 04:46 PM.
04-20-09, 04:36 PM   #12
Fatbeard
A Murloc Raider

Opie is what I use now. It's not quite as auto as auto-bar but it doesn't use near the resources.
04-20-09, 05:17 PM   #13
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yeah, I used Autobar a long time ago, and I decided to try it again recently. It was using up too many resources so I had to uninstall it. :/
04-20-09, 05:40 PM   #14
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

As a Druid (was my main), I couldn't imagine only having 120 buttons and not having autobar. I tried replacing once, I was left feeling empty inside afterward. It just worked... like a mule on a farm in the 1800's.

That said, even using all the features given, plus a few custom items, I can't remember ever going above 2-3Mb, and yes, I paid attention. I haven't played since Ulduuar came out, though, so was there a change that jumped it then, or has this been an ongoing issue?
04-25-09, 09:06 PM   #15
xtoq
An Aku'mai Servant

As far as for me, Auto Bar can jump up to 36 megs. After a garbage collection it drops back down to 3-4 megs. Sit around idle, go afk, check it again, 24 megs. Garbage collection, back to 3 megs.

I too only have a few custom buttons, but eve so, it shouldn't be using this much memory. I'm posting on the Auto Bar comments too, but thought I'd post here as well.

Screenshot of 36 meg usage: http://images.wowstead.com/10855/192.jpg
04-25-09, 09:26 PM   #16
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

If AutoBar is the Ace addon with the most current libraries, all the other Ace addons that load after (since it starts with 'A', it means most of them) AutoBar will get the "blame" for all the other addons using the libraries that AutoBar loaded.

If I were Toad, I would probably rename the addon ZautoBar Let some other Ace addon get the blame for a while

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
04-25-09, 10:11 PM   #17
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Maul View Post
If AutoBar is the Ace addon with the most current libraries, all the other Ace addons that load after (since it starts with 'A', it means most of them) AutoBar will get the "blame" for all the other addons using the libraries that AutoBar loaded.

If I were Toad, I would probably rename the addon ZautoBar Let some other Ace addon get the blame for a while

LOL, I think that would definitely do the trick!
04-25-09, 11:12 PM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by xtoq View Post
As far as for me, Auto Bar can jump up to 36 megs. After a garbage collection it drops back down to 3-4 megs. Sit around idle, go afk, check it again, 24 megs. Garbage collection, back to 3 megs.

I too only have a few custom buttons, but eve so, it shouldn't be using this much memory. I'm posting on the Auto Bar comments too, but thought I'd post here as well.

Screenshot of 36 meg usage: http://images.wowstead.com/10855/192.jpg
With no addons except Autobar. Never jumped any higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_042509_220419.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	2562  
04-27-09, 01:31 PM   #19
TuLe
A Black Drake

So after all these comments none came with a valid and real substitute for this awesome mod? Dam looks like im stickin with autobar them, my wow life cant live without it...
04-28-09, 10:55 AM   #20
Gorebag
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I use a combination of my own QuestClicks (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...estClicks.html) which does quest items, Combinable Motes, Prospects, Milling, and the like along with LunarSphere (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...narSphere.html) which has "detachable" (you can even hide the sphere itself if you want) buttons that are programmable to do things like "Best Food/Water", "Highest HP Potion", etc).

In my current setup, I have 4 buttons detached from LunarSphere and placed in pairs on the opposite edges of my screen. The 4 buttons are all "menu" buttons that pop open with up to 12 buttons in them. One "menu" holds my tradeskill buttons, one combat-useful items (potions, bandages, etc), one my utility items (I'm an engineer, so my pocket knife, Moll-E, Mote Extractor, etc) and one has misc goodies like call/revive pet, mounts, etc.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » autobar replacement